Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
thestrangebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 337
Thanks everyone. I have the tow button which will be on when hauling so it should keep me from getting into OD in the first place. I plan on putting in a brake controller as well as a wdh to help. I guess I'll start looking into LT tires now. We may be heading to the dealer to check out some Roos & Jaycos today. Excited!
__________________

__________________
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
simplyrwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 478
This is just my 2 cents. I agree with the above statements of getting the trailer you want! But long term if your able to upgrade your tow vehicle I personally recommend it. Being at the top end or at max leaves little wiggle room.

If you had a bigger tow vehicle would it influence your decision on a trailer? Or are you actually getting the trailer you want? I guess my point is, if your going to max out your tow vehicle for a trailer that is less than what you want and then end up not happy with the tow capabilities and upgrade your tow vehicle will you regret your decision on a trailer?
__________________

__________________
2004 V10 4X4 Excursion
2014 FR Wildwood 32BHDS
2013 Days Camped 14
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
thestrangebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrwc View Post
This is just my 2 cents. I agree with the above statements of getting the trailer you want! But long term if your able to upgrade your tow vehicle I personally recommend it. Being at the top end or at max leaves little wiggle room.

If you had a bigger tow vehicle would it influence your decision on a trailer? Or are you actually getting the trailer you want? I guess my point is, if your going to max out your tow vehicle for a trailer that is less than what you want and then end up not happy with the tow capabilities and upgrade your tow vehicle will you regret your decision on a trailer?
Well at this point we're just doing the research. We've only been to one dealer so far so we're at the beginning point of narrowing down what we want. I know for a fact, if we had the TV, we'd go with the 231kss. But, we've only seen a few so far.
__________________
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,255
strangebrew, i've been responding on your other posts, on another RV forum.

didn't know you were in California. just remember, our Foothills would be considered mountains in a lot of the rest of the country.
even the Coastal Range would be considered mountains in most of the U.S.

since we often pull our Roo over the Sierras, Siskiyous and Cascades, having an adequate tow vehicle was a priority for us.
we made sure we had a tow vehicle that had a ton of extra towing capacity.

and since you live in Central Cali, just a warning about Best RV, which many Roo shoppers here visit.
suggest you do a search on them. they have a terrible reputation, especially after the sale.
we visited them one time when we were shopping and will NEVER buy anything from them. that was back in 2006 and from what i've read on other RV forums, nothing has changed.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
simplyrwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

and since you live in Central Cali, just a warning about Best RV, which many Roo shoppers here visit.
suggest you do a search on them. they have a terrible reputation, especially after the sale.
we visited them one time when we were shopping and will NEVER buy anything from them. that was back in 2006 and from what i've read on other RV forums, nothing has changed.
Good ol' Best RV......that is a whole 'nother thread lol!

I bought there and have had good luck...you have to put your foot down to get what you want and deserve...so yes proceed with caution as I too have heard the horror stories.
__________________
2004 V10 4X4 Excursion
2014 FR Wildwood 32BHDS
2013 Days Camped 14
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
tow weight is more than just speed...braking, handling, acceleration when merging, starting out on hills, cooling/trans loads, etc.
__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
thestrangebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 337
We just got back from Best RV. They were pretty friendly and we were just looking and told them that straight up. We looked at the 17 & 19 and we've decided these are the top 2. Dry weight for the 17 was 2700 which is light. The 19 was 3600 dry. I think we're going for the 17. I'd be way more comfortable pulling it. They're asking $17499 for it.
__________________
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
thestrangebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 337
@ Dan: Thanks for the heads up on Best RV. Some pretty bad reviews on yelp. A local dealer here said they were getting a few Rockwoods later this week so I might just stick with them. I was wondering why your username looked familiar. I'm so many boards asking questions this week doing my research lol

Quick question about dual axles. They have more brakes, but also have more weight. In my mind, more brakes = more safety, but the additional weight could possibly make this point moot. How do you guys feel about dual axles? Reason I'm asking is because of the yellow sticker difference between the 17 & 19. 17 is 2700 lbs while the 19 is 3610. Big difference, but the 19 has dual axle. Both are within specs of my TV, obviously the 17 will be much lighter. Thanks.
__________________
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
@ Dan: Thanks for the heads up on Best RV. Some pretty bad reviews on yelp. A local dealer here said they were getting a few Rockwoods later this week so I might just stick with them. I was wondering why your username looked familiar. I'm so many boards asking questions this week doing my research lol

Quick question about dual axles. They have more brakes, but also have more weight. In my mind, more brakes = more safety, but the additional weight could possibly make this point moot. How do you guys feel about dual axles? Reason I'm asking is because of the yellow sticker difference between the 17 & 19. 17 is 2700 lbs while the 19 is 3610. Big difference, but the 19 has dual axle. Both are within specs of my TV, obviously the 17 will be much lighter. Thanks.
Go for the19.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
@ Dan: Thanks for the heads up on Best RV. Some pretty bad reviews on yelp. A local dealer here said they were getting a few Rockwoods later this week so I might just stick with them. I was wondering why your username looked familiar. I'm so many boards asking questions this week doing my research lol


Quick question about dual axles. They have more brakes, but also have more weight. In my mind, more brakes = more safety, but the additional weight could possibly make this point moot. How do you guys feel about dual axles? Reason I'm asking is because of the yellow sticker difference between the 17 & 19. 17 is 2700 lbs while the 19 is 3610. Big difference, but the 19 has dual axle. Both are within specs of my TV, obviously the 17 will be much lighter. Thanks.


Dual axles makes it easier to control TW and if case of a blow out you have another tire on that side to allow you to move to safety.

The camper bug is tough to fight. We bought a HIgh wall pop up because it was within out towable range. After 16 months, found ourselves getting a larger more capable tow vehicle. That lasted about a year before we traded in the popup for a trailer we really love- and took a bath on the popup. So looked down the road and get what you really like. See if anyone rents trailers in your area to see if the ones you are looking at are the ones you would be just living with- not loving. Enjoy your shopping
__________________

__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2013, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.