Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I wonder what the difference is in your payload vs my 1154.

is yours a 2wd? 18 or 20 inch wheels? do you have crap like power fold 3rd row (that's got to be heavy). Sun roof

Mines 4wd, 20" wheels, sunroof, 301a pack so I have all but some of the driver assist stuff.

interesting to see that. what model 25" Surveyor do you have?

the 3.5v6 engine in these is plenty powerful... right up there with the 4.6l v8 from the gen 4 Explorer in HP, but down about 50ft•lb. they also have tow mode, sway control and a class III hitch and 7 pin wiring.

Come on.. Ford wouldn't BS us.. they show it pulling this ocean liner that boat must be pretty damn heavy
I think it's parked. They photo shopped the dust lol.

I'm not sure what the difference is. It's a 2wd, non-power 3rd row seats. I don't know what # pack I have. From I can remember, it's an xlt with tow package and that's it. Cloth seats, power seats up front.

My brother in law said he'd give me his Reese hitch set up (they've moved on to a 5th wheel) and they only used the hitch setup once but I haven't seen it yet. I would just need to brake controller.

I would also just like to say thank you to everyone. I'm new to towing and trailers and I really appreciate everyone's input, even if I may not take someone's advice on here. This seems like a great community and I think we're pretty much sold on Rockwoods in general. Funny, I'd never heard of Rockwood prior to starting my research.

Edit: Sticker says I have Group 201A:
Driver connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync voice
Rear view cam
Dual zone A/C
Premium plus CD

Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Edit: Sticker says I have Group 201A:
Driver connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync voice
Rear view cam
Dual zone A/C
Premium plus CD
I think the stupid power fold 3rd row and sunroof probably add a bunch of weight to mine. Good thing for you is that it gives you that much more cargo capacity.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #53

*IF* I get this new job the DW (What's the D stand for anyways?) has given me permission to look at a new TV! The field will be wide open on TTs if we can swing a new TV first! I'm stoked. I already got called in for a 2nd interview this Friday so it's already looking up!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #54

Quote:
*IF* I get this new job the DW (What's the D stand for anyways?) has given me permission to look at a new TV! The field will be wide open on TTs if we can swing a new TV first! I'm stoked. I already got called in for a 2nd interview this Friday so it's already looking up!
Good news! As for the 'D' it can stand for several things - in your case that would depend on what she says on the tv. But best to stick with dear or darling for the 'D' (at least when she is within earshot ).

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #55

which surveyor?
Surveyor Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River
I see a 25' that is SHIP WT of 4880 lbs. that DOES NOT include propane or battery..so you're over 5k with NOTHING LOADED - like kitchen, betting, bath, chairs, etc.

Yes, your TV has plenty of power...cars in the 70s with smog motors had less power and pulled 'full weight' TT. They also had bigger brakes, full frames, longer WB, more weight themselves, etc.

Add the TT weight, what you load in it, the propane/batt/hitch, your passengers and the empty weight (REAL wt) of your TV and see where you stand compared to GCWR - I'm sure you're over.

Our TT was marketed by FR as 'mid size SUV towable'. And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing. The expedition we bought was over on GCWR with that TT...I can't imagine how over the explorer would have been.

Never had a white knuckle experience with it, but compared to our silverado (2500lbs more GCWR, more tow rating, 2 feet more wheelbase) there is NO COMPARISON in towing comfort (and the expy had E rated 10 ply tires vs the jello 4 ply P tires on teh sliverado)

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
which surveyor?
Surveyor Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River
I see a 25' that is SHIP WT of 4880 lbs. that DOES NOT include propane or battery..so you're over 5k with NOTHING LOADED - like kitchen, betting, bath, chairs, etc.

Yes, your TV has plenty of power...cars in the 70s with smog motors had less power and pulled 'full weight' TT. They also had bigger brakes, full frames, longer WB, more weight themselves, etc.

Add the TT weight, what you load in it, the propane/batt/hitch, your passengers and the empty weight (REAL wt) of your TV and see where you stand compared to GCWR - I'm sure you're over.

Our TT was marketed by FR as 'mid size SUV towable'. And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing. The expedition we bought was over on GCWR with that TT...I can't imagine how over the explorer would have been.

Never had a white knuckle experience with it, but compared to our silverado (2500lbs more GCWR, more tow rating, 2 feet more wheelbase) there is NO COMPARISON in towing comfort (and the expy had E rated 10 ply tires vs the jello 4 ply P tires on teh sliverado)
Wrong thread? lol
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing.
I think the previous generation Explorers had a frame, and now uni-body construction is used. That probably has a lot to do with the towing numbers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Wrong thread? lol
previous page, this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I am currently towing a 25 foot surveyor with my 2013 Explorer and it is no trouble at all. I would keep the weight down as your biggest issue is going to be the 6K foot elevation and consequent power degradation.

Buy a good hitch!

I use a Blue Ox and I have never had a "white knuckle moment" and that includes towing in 40 MPH plus winds. My TT is 5000 lbs and I am not over on my rear axle weight and I keep my load on the front.

Contrary to what others have said, Fords SUV tow rating do NOT include the driver.

Don't worry about what gear you are in, use the tow mode. It will take care of that for you and remember what OC says, you don't have to be the first one up the hill. Drive with the trucks.

I would go for the tandem. I like the handling a lot more. You do tend to crab a little around corners but you get used to it.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #59

Oh ok!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I think the previous generation Explorers had a frame, and now uni-body construction is used. That probably has a lot to do with the towing numbers.
I mentioned that.
I was a mechanic for 15 years and before/after that a hobbyist. There is the tow rating and then what YOUR truck was equipped with. Ford was famous for using what transmissions they had laying around. For example, my expedition (2001) was essentially an F150 but the trans in that year expy was the big HD model used in the 250/350 models. Who knows why they did that (AWD perhaps? what factory they assembled them in? Bean counters may have been involved more than engineers)

Chevy had listed on their website a ridiculousely low tow rating for the 1500 suburban compared to the truck or 2500 suburban. Why? Who knows.

And consider 'duty cycle' - you can overload your vehicle and drive 5 miles once a year and I doubt you'll ever have an issue. Do it for 20k miles a year and in no time you'll have work out something. I"m sure your drivers seat is comfortable - but stop by your local police Or perhaps taxi place and have sit in the drivers seat. Like sitting on the floor - low and hard. Even if the car has 80k miles on it the seat is sat on 60+ hours every week vs what in your car? 5 hours? 10 maybe? How you use it makes a difference.

Are manufacturers conservative for that reason? For liability? Or are they generous for marketing reasons? SAE ratings at least have a basis in the real world and are comparable. Not sure how many SUVs are complying.

And each manufacturer is different. Our chevy says nothing about the type fo trailer...the ford listed a max frontal area for the TT. Don't recall much about brakes...but my subaru is very emphatic that ALL trailers of any kind over 1000lb have brakes. State law here is 3000 lbs.

I pulled a flatbed trailer with a 84 camaro on it with the chevy - the TT has broken brakes so no brakes...~5500lbs. I had no issues - in many ways it pulled easier than our TT with brakes. I did it. I lived. Would I rec YOU do it? No.

People have jumped from planes without parachutes and lived. (three diff people below, i've heard of others)
Wanna try that too?

Caught on cam: Skydiver survives 8,000-foot fall without parachute | KSL.com
Girl, 16, survived a 3500 foot skydive with a tangled parachute | Mail Online

I mean, if THEY can do it I"m sure YOU can too!

Tags
2013, towing