Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #41

We really loved the 23IKSS but no way in hell we'd tow it with the explorer lol. We're still looking around and I think as far as the numbers go I've got it figured out what to look for and how much we could actually tow. What I didn't realize was how much a double axle helps in towing, reversing etc. We may be in a position to trade in and get a better TV first, I have a job interview tomorrow and I should know by the end of the week if I got the position, which will greatly increase our income and actually save $ because I can commute with my wife and my commute would only be .5 hr whereas I'm driving 1.5 hrs now. I'm going to give it about a month to try and convince the wife of trading in.
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
We just got back from Best RV. They were pretty friendly and we were just looking and told them that straight up. We looked at the 17 & 19 and we've decided these are the top 2. Dry weight for the 17 was 2700 which is light. The 19 was 3600 dry. I think we're going for the 17. I'd be way more comfortable pulling it. They're asking $17499 for it.
Aside from opinions. I had a 2002 Trailblazer 4.3 l I6 rated at 6500lb and pulled a Coleman popup for 4 years and about 20,000 km. The Coleman Mesa was 2200lb dry, 2700lb loaded (I weighed it). With 5 in the TV it was ok to tow but the short wheelbase was not good with wind sheers or passing transports. And the popup had no frontal area above the TV. I moved to the Suburban (2005 first then 2009), no comparison in towing comfort, and I actually got better gas mileage with the Suburbans since the Trailblazer I6 engine is underpowered for a mid size SUV.

So if the 17 Roo is 2700lb dry it will at least 600lb more with battery and propane etc. and this is likely as much as you should do. Adding another 1000lb for the 19 Roo, most of which is an unnecessary axle is going to push you into max loaded territory. Likely your TV rear axle weight will be over for sure.

At the end of the day do the math and decide what TV you need for the TT you want. You are better off the buy a new/used TV first even than get a TT you will want to trade in a year. FWIW

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
We had an '03 Explorer V6 with the factory tow package, which was great for towing our 3,000lb popup. But, it was becoming a maintenace headache (Fix Or Repair Daily as my Chevy buddies say). So we ended up finding a good deal on F-150 and traded up on the tv first. Then when the 23IKSS came out, we couldn't pass it up. I don't know about the newer Explorer's, but I just can't see where there would have been enything good about towing a hybrid with ours. Even with a smaller one, that big square front creates a ton of drag.

Upgrading the tv first opens up a lot more options. Glad we went that route. Love the 23IKSS and the F-150 tows it with no problem.
Keep in mind that today's V6's produce more power than almost all V8 engines did in 03. And if the OP has the Ecoboost, then power will NOT be an issue. Obviously there are many other things to consider, just pointing out that the drivetrains of newer vehicles are significantly improved from those 10 years ago.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Keep in mind that today's V6's produce more power than almost all V8 engines did in 03. And if the OP has the Ecoboost, then power will NOT be an issue. Obviously there are many other things to consider, just pointing out that the drivetrains of newer vehicles are significantly improved from those 10 years ago.
I def. don't have the ecoboost. It'd be nice if I did. I think in the long run a TV first will be better. My wife OTOH is a little different. She wants to do it backwards by getting a trailer that we can pull now, then getting a better TV when we can. If she gets what she wants, I'm leaning more and more to the 17.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
No doubt my '03 isn't a direct comparison. And I have no idea whether all these new engines, tranny's and everything else they are changing these days for fuel economy makes them better or worse for towing. Towing is tough on a drive train though. I killed a 5-speed in my old Ranger with too much load.

My real point was if the OP has eyes on the 23 and tow capacity for the 17, we were in that same boat. Waited until we found a good deal on a used truck first, then got what we felt was the perfect RV for us. Buying a small tt, then eventually getting a bigger tv, then trading a 2 year old trailer in the one you really want would probably cost you more in the end.

And for thestrangebrew - good luck with the interview - and with convincing the DW - not sure which one is more challenging But that's kind of how we ended up where we are. I changed jobs and my 60 miles a day commute went to 15, so I could justify getting the F-150 and using it for a daily driver. And my DW saw the islanld kitchen and that sale took care of itself.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I def. don't have the ecoboost. It'd be nice if I did. I think in the long run a TV first will be better. My wife OTOH is a little different. She wants to do it backwards by getting a trailer that we can pull now, then getting a better TV when we can. If she gets what she wants, I'm leaning more and more to the 17.
As a voice of experience wit 53+ yrs, remember this, "If mama is not happy, NO ONE IS HAPPY"

Best decision is hers, regardless of everything else. Trust me.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #47

I am currently towing a 25 foot surveyor with my 2013 Explorer and it is no trouble at all. I would keep the weight down as your biggest issue is going to be the 6K foot elevation and consequent power degradation.

Buy a good hitch!

I use a Blue Ox and I have never had a "white knuckle moment" and that includes towing in 40 MPH plus winds. My TT is 5000 lbs and I am not over on my rear axle weight and I keep my load on the front.

Contrary to what others have said, Fords SUV tow rating do NOT include the driver.

Don't worry about what gear you are in, use the tow mode. It will take care of that for you and remember what OC says, you don't have to be the first one up the hill. Drive with the trucks.

I would go for the tandem. I like the handling a lot more. You do tend to crab a little around corners but you get used to it.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #48

@ Old Coot - Lol yes I'm very aware of the happy wife factor. It'll be 5 years next Friday and I learned that way before we got married.

@ tanddc - How do you know Ford doesn't county the driver? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #49

Quote:
payload = 1570
I wonder what the difference is in your payload vs my 1154.

is yours a 2wd? 18 or 20 inch wheels? do you have crap like power fold 3rd row (that's got to be heavy). Sun roof

Mines 4wd, 20" wheels, sunroof, 301a pack so I have all but some of the driver assist stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I am currently towing a 25 foot surveyor with my 2013 Explorer and it is no trouble at all. I would keep the weight down as your biggest issue is going to be the 6K foot elevation and consequent power degradation.
interesting to see that. what model 25" Surveyor do you have?

the 3.5v6 engine in these is plenty powerful... right up there with the 4.6l v8 from the gen 4 Explorer in HP, but down about 50ft•lb. they also have tow mode, sway control and a class III hitch and 7 pin wiring.

Come on.. Ford wouldn't BS us.. they show it pulling this ocean liner that boat must be pretty damn heavy

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

the 3.5v6 engine in these is plenty powerful... right up there with the 4.6l v8 from the gen 4 Explorer in HP, but down about 50ft•lb. they also have tow mode, sway control and a class III hitch and 7 pin wiring.

Come on.. Ford wouldn't BS us.. they show it pulling this ocean liner that boat must be pretty damn heavy

I have an SP220. I have never had to use the "sway control" but it is nice to know it is there. My particular Explorer is the limited so I have the power fold down seats. I don't think the weight is much different.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post

is yours a 2wd? 18 or 20 inch wheels? do you have crap like power fold 3rd row (that's got to be heavy). Sun roof

Mines 4wd, 20" wheels, sunroof, 301a pack so I have all but some of the driver assist stuff.

I think it's parked. They photo shopped the dust lol.

I'm not sure what the difference is. It's a 2wd, non-power 3rd row seats. I don't know what # pack I have. From I can remember, it's an xlt with tow package and that's it. Cloth seats, power seats up front.

My brother in law said he'd give me his Reese hitch set up (they've moved on to a 5th wheel) and they only used the hitch setup once but I haven't seen it yet. I would just need to brake controller.

I would also just like to say thank you to everyone. I'm new to towing and trailers and I really appreciate everyone's input, even if I may not take someone's advice on here. This seems like a great community and I think we're pretty much sold on Rockwoods in general. Funny, I'd never heard of Rockwood prior to starting my research.

Edit: Sticker says I have Group 201A:
Driver connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync voice
Rear view cam
Dual zone A/C
Premium plus CD
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Edit: Sticker says I have Group 201A:
Driver connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync voice
Rear view cam
Dual zone A/C
Premium plus CD
I think the stupid power fold 3rd row and sunroof probably add a bunch of weight to mine. Good thing for you is that it gives you that much more cargo capacity.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #53

*IF* I get this new job the DW (What's the D stand for anyways?) has given me permission to look at a new TV! The field will be wide open on TTs if we can swing a new TV first! I'm stoked. I already got called in for a 2nd interview this Friday so it's already looking up!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #54

Quote:
*IF* I get this new job the DW (What's the D stand for anyways?) has given me permission to look at a new TV! The field will be wide open on TTs if we can swing a new TV first! I'm stoked. I already got called in for a 2nd interview this Friday so it's already looking up!
Good news! As for the 'D' it can stand for several things - in your case that would depend on what she says on the tv. But best to stick with dear or darling for the 'D' (at least when she is within earshot ).

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #55

which surveyor?
Surveyor Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River
I see a 25' that is SHIP WT of 4880 lbs. that DOES NOT include propane or battery..so you're over 5k with NOTHING LOADED - like kitchen, betting, bath, chairs, etc.

Yes, your TV has plenty of power...cars in the 70s with smog motors had less power and pulled 'full weight' TT. They also had bigger brakes, full frames, longer WB, more weight themselves, etc.

Add the TT weight, what you load in it, the propane/batt/hitch, your passengers and the empty weight (REAL wt) of your TV and see where you stand compared to GCWR - I'm sure you're over.

Our TT was marketed by FR as 'mid size SUV towable'. And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing. The expedition we bought was over on GCWR with that TT...I can't imagine how over the explorer would have been.

Never had a white knuckle experience with it, but compared to our silverado (2500lbs more GCWR, more tow rating, 2 feet more wheelbase) there is NO COMPARISON in towing comfort (and the expy had E rated 10 ply tires vs the jello 4 ply P tires on teh sliverado)

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
which surveyor?
Surveyor Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River
I see a 25' that is SHIP WT of 4880 lbs. that DOES NOT include propane or battery..so you're over 5k with NOTHING LOADED - like kitchen, betting, bath, chairs, etc.

Yes, your TV has plenty of power...cars in the 70s with smog motors had less power and pulled 'full weight' TT. They also had bigger brakes, full frames, longer WB, more weight themselves, etc.

Add the TT weight, what you load in it, the propane/batt/hitch, your passengers and the empty weight (REAL wt) of your TV and see where you stand compared to GCWR - I'm sure you're over.

Our TT was marketed by FR as 'mid size SUV towable'. And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing. The expedition we bought was over on GCWR with that TT...I can't imagine how over the explorer would have been.

Never had a white knuckle experience with it, but compared to our silverado (2500lbs more GCWR, more tow rating, 2 feet more wheelbase) there is NO COMPARISON in towing comfort (and the expy had E rated 10 ply tires vs the jello 4 ply P tires on teh sliverado)
Wrong thread? lol
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
And the previous generation explorer was rated at 7500lb towing.
I think the previous generation Explorers had a frame, and now uni-body construction is used. That probably has a lot to do with the towing numbers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Wrong thread? lol
previous page, this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post

Buy a good hitch!

I use a Blue Ox and I have never had a "white knuckle moment" and that includes towing in 40 MPH plus winds. My TT is 5000 lbs and I am not over on my rear axle weight and I keep my load on the front.

Contrary to what others have said, Fords SUV tow rating do NOT include the driver.

Don't worry about what gear you are in, use the tow mode. It will take care of that for you and remember what OC says, you don't have to be the first one up the hill. Drive with the trucks.

I would go for the tandem. I like the handling a lot more. You do tend to crab a little around corners but you get used to it.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #59

Oh ok!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I think the previous generation Explorers had a frame, and now uni-body construction is used. That probably has a lot to do with the towing numbers.
I mentioned that.
I was a mechanic for 15 years and before/after that a hobbyist. There is the tow rating and then what YOUR truck was equipped with. Ford was famous for using what transmissions they had laying around. For example, my expedition (2001) was essentially an F150 but the trans in that year expy was the big HD model used in the 250/350 models. Who knows why they did that (AWD perhaps? what factory they assembled them in? Bean counters may have been involved more than engineers)

Chevy had listed on their website a ridiculousely low tow rating for the 1500 suburban compared to the truck or 2500 suburban. Why? Who knows.

And consider 'duty cycle' - you can overload your vehicle and drive 5 miles once a year and I doubt you'll ever have an issue. Do it for 20k miles a year and in no time you'll have work out something. I"m sure your drivers seat is comfortable - but stop by your local police Or perhaps taxi place and have sit in the drivers seat. Like sitting on the floor - low and hard. Even if the car has 80k miles on it the seat is sat on 60+ hours every week vs what in your car? 5 hours? 10 maybe? How you use it makes a difference.

Are manufacturers conservative for that reason? For liability? Or are they generous for marketing reasons? SAE ratings at least have a basis in the real world and are comparable. Not sure how many SUVs are complying.

And each manufacturer is different. Our chevy says nothing about the type fo trailer...the ford listed a max frontal area for the TT. Don't recall much about brakes...but my subaru is very emphatic that ALL trailers of any kind over 1000lb have brakes. State law here is 3000 lbs.

I pulled a flatbed trailer with a 84 camaro on it with the chevy - the TT has broken brakes so no brakes...~5500lbs. I had no issues - in many ways it pulled easier than our TT with brakes. I did it. I lived. Would I rec YOU do it? No.

People have jumped from planes without parachutes and lived. (three diff people below, i've heard of others)
Wanna try that too?

Caught on cam: Skydiver survives 8,000-foot fall without parachute | KSL.com
Girl, 16, survived a 3500 foot skydive with a tangled parachute | Mail Online

I mean, if THEY can do it I"m sure YOU can too!

Tags
2013, towing