Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Anyone transport or know someone

Hello,
I am looking to hire someone to deliver our rockwood 8312ss from Maryland to Pirate Land in Myrtle Beach. We are moving and have a boat we have to tow, and need someone to tow the tt. And honestly, it will be our first time towing our new tt, and we're a little scared to pull it that far.
If you or someone you know is looking for some extra money, please let me know. Thank you so much.
ps, not sure on the dates yet we are in the process our selling our home.
ash4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

It looks like UShip.com has a dedicated RV area:
www.uship.com/transport-rv

I've never used them, but I would think that you would want someone who is somewhat used to this work- even if you have to pay a little more. If nothing else, they'd have the insurance.

The other option is to roll the dice with CraigsList- but that would leave me more nervous than anything else.

I'd consider it (), but I've never pulled a travel trailer of any length- only my fifth wheel. I have a hitch, but don't know the first thing about weight-distributing hitches and sway control. (Well, a little about sway control- my pop-up camper had a simple friction bar.) And, of course- I'm not insured to pull for money! And, I'd want expenses covered for a round-trip instead of just one-way like the pros would likely expect.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Where do you live in Maryland? How long is your trailer without me looking it up, do you have a hitch and what kind?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Where do you live in Maryland? How long is your trailer without me looking it up, do you have a hitch and what kind?
Her profile says Abdingon, MD and looks like a length of 34' 9".
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

520 miles from Abdingon to Myrtle.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
520 miles from Abdingon to Myrtle.

Nice little day trip, but the price of fuel would kill me.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Nice little day trip, but the price of fuel would kill me.

Same here. I'd likely have a $400 fuel bill to do it round trip.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Same here. I'd likely have a $400 fuel bill to do it round trip.
That's part of the cost for the owner to absorb in getting the cost/mile price from someone. Have heard a low as $1/mile up to $3/mile round trip. For mileage from your home base and back.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #9

$2 a loaded mile is what I've heard. That way, your fuel is covered, but you don't look like your charging for your empty drive home.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

I've used Show room transport, out of Northern Virginia. (www.showroomtransport.com) Done this twice. The first was from northern NY to Washington DC in the dead of winter. Very happy with the service. Once you set up the details, a driver will call you before pick up. Through him or her, you can facilitate out the little logistics of pick up and delivery.

The first time I wasn't able to be present for pick up, and had to have the driver put plates on, get the registration from the storage facility etc. After he picked it up, I met him down at the campsite in DC. He placed it in my spot exactly how I wanted, and that was it. Very simple. Very stress free.

2nd time was back to New York. I met the driver at the campsite, hooked up, and told her I'd meet her 7 hours down the road. Again, simple as that.

Expect now and then a little snag. One driver just finished a cross country trip, and asked if it would be ok to delay pick up until the next morning so she could get some rest first. Not a big deal to me, but might bother others. As you add more cogs to the wheel, expect small adjustments to a plan.

These two trips were around 900.00 a piece. Considering I once had to have a tow 40 miles to a dealership for a repair that cost me 200.00, it's not all that bad. I usually set up for several months at a time. If your needs are to move every weekend, it's obviously not quite so efficient.
joien126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

I used UShip to ship my trailer from the dealer in KY to the port in GA to have it shipped to Korea.
It's was good, but the really professional guys will cost ya'.
It's free to get quotes, so why not set up a bid and see what you get? Just be sure to tell them EXACTLY what you want and why.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #12

I'm thinking about it, we are in Bel Air so practically neighbours. The problem is the time. A 4-6 day time frame is getting hard to allocate this time of year. Maybe the end of November, just thinking at this point.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
It looks like UShip.com has a dedicated RV area:
www.uship.com/transport-rv

I've never used them, but I would think that you would want someone who is somewhat used to this work- even if you have to pay a little more. If nothing else, they'd have the insurance.

The other option is to roll the dice with CraigsList- but that would leave me more nervous than anything else.

I'd consider it (), but I've never pulled a travel trailer of any length- only my fifth wheel. I have a hitch, but don't know the first thing about weight-distributing hitches and sway control. (Well, a little about sway control- my pop-up camper had a simple friction bar.) And, of course- I'm not insured to pull for money! And, I'd want expenses covered for a round-trip instead of just one-way like the pros would likely expect.
A would to the wise do not use craigslist for anything!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
It worked perfectly selling our 30 ft. Award TT.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Slight hijack, but in general/at all? Or for services?

We use it regularly to sell stuff. And my sister uses it as her discount shopping mall. Generally have been decent experiences.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:

Slight hijack, but in general/at all? Or for services?

We use it regularly to sell stuff. And my sister uses it as her discount shopping mall. Generally have been decent experiences.
At all. There are good experiences out there but craigslist is high risk. I have seen many people fall victim to deceptive practices including being robbed on the exchange, given counterfeit money fake checks, and stolen goods. Just a warning. Now back to the really purpose of this thread...lol
Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
At all. There are good experiences out there but craigslist is high risk. I have seen many people fall victim to deceptive practices including being robbed on the exchange, given counterfeit money fake checks, and stolen goods. Just a warning. Now back to the really purpose of this thread...lol
This will be my last post on it, too.

But- yes, that stuff happens but really, it's the minority of the tons of business that people do over CL. The problem is- the bad stuff is sensationalized and it's easy to believe that the moment you dip your toe into CL, you're going to be instantly murdered in your sleep or swindled out of all of your money. In my *opinion*, the reality is yes it happens, but it's unlikely. Same with eBay. Heck, even the classified ads in newspapers leave you open to the same risk.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #18

Unfortunately Caveat Emptor is the rule of the day when buying from the Internet.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

I would try uship as well.

As for CL. Ive sold many, many thousands of dollars of hay, equipment and vehicles, and junk-with very good success. And ive bought many thousands of dollars of vehicles , equipment and junk off of it. Just carry a gun and deal in cash! At least it works for me!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote