Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #1

Anyone use the new Andersen 3219 bed shaft...

...in the factory 5th prep with an Ultimate hitch? I currently have a B&W ball kit for the factory 5th wheel prep on my Ram, which is sweet and easy to use. However, torqueing the top bolt down is somewhat vague since the pin is not in a direct slot like the new Andersen bed shaft.

It pulls up against the tapered ball so always feels like it is never torqued properly. Just curious if anyone has the 3219 and how they like it. Below is a pic for those that haven't seen it...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

I just bought one for my 2018 Ram 2500 won't use it til next week. I will let you know what I think of it then
daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
I just bought one for my 2018 Ram 2500 won't use it til next week. I will let you know what I think of it then
I ended up buying one a couple of weeks ago. I have it in the truck with the hitch on it, but have not towed with it yet although I dont see any problem.

What I like about it over the B&W ball I was using, is torqing the top bolt down seems a lot more distinct when torqued at 65 lbs. The ball seemed more vague to torque down exactly. I assume because the pin was being pulled up against a curved ball instead of a flat surface.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
...in the factory 5th prep with an Ultimate hitch? I currently have a B&W ball kit for the factory 5th wheel prep on my Ram, which is sweet and easy to use. However, torqueing the top bolt down is somewhat vague since the pin is not in a direct slot like the new Andersen bed shaft.

It pulls up against the tapered ball so always feels like it is never torqued properly. Just curious if anyone has the 3219 and how they like it. Below is a pic for those that haven't seen it...

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that they made these. This makes perfect sense!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that they made these. This makes perfect sense!
The only reason I found out about it, is I saw an ad for one on Craigslist while surfing the RV section. So did a search on Andersens site and found it. Like all Andersen stuff it is VERY well made.

Tags
bed