Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

anyone used an iBall hitch camera??

I travel alot alone and was considering this camera for hitching. Anyone tried one?

iBall - $149.95, Free US & CDN Shipping, Factory Direct - Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera
melissa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa16 View Post
I travel alot alone and was considering this camera for hitching. Anyone tried one?

iBall - $149.95, Free US & CDN Shipping, Factory Direct - Wireless Trailer Hitch Camera
I used a mirror on our tt and the 5er. Don't use it on our 5er anymore now that I have hitched quite a few times.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

Nah, I'm a fan of the backup, get out and check, back up more, get out and check, pull ahead and realign, back up again, get out and check, back up a little more...there, got it method. Works almost every time, and it's free.

Joking aside, my new truck has a backup camera and now I get it right nearly every time the first try, so it's a very practical feature.

What I like about the unit you linked to is that you could quickly move it to your camper bumper and use it for backing into your spot or driveway or whatever.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Not familiar with the iball camera but I do use a portable camera.

I have the swift hitch. I like it because I can not only use it to hook up
I can also attach it to the bumper of the trailer and help see when backing without a spotter.

I have used it to also help me get the trailer on the leveling blocks when by myself....

Very helpful device and we call it the marriage saver ( no more yelling )
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sweet! Go for it!
I love the camera on the tailgate of my Armada. DW calls me a smarta$$ now that I back and hitch up without her yelling at me.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:

Yes, my wife bought it for me (us) and it works well enough. My only complaint is that on our truck, the screen gets snowy with the engine running, but I can still see well enough to hitch up.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

i ball camera

have used it for two years now. and works good. have it in reverse mode, to use it better for me. got mine at amazon.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Not familiar with the iball camera but I do use a portable camera.

I have the swift hitch. I like it because I can not only use it to hook up
I can also attach it to the bumper of the trailer and help see when backing without a spotter.

I have used it to also help me get the trailer on the leveling blocks when by myself....

Very helpful device and we call it the marriage saver ( no more yelling )
All your points well taken, I just jumped over to EBay and ordered one for $99.00 with free shipping should have it in 2 or 3 days. My Tundra has a camera in the tail gate so I will use this on the TT bumper.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #9

I read a review that said if your car is bluetooth enabled that causes snow. Not sure if you can disable it while you hook up

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaman View Post
Yes, my wife bought it for me (us) and it works well enough. My only complaint is that on our truck, the screen gets snowy with the engine running, but I can still see well enough to hitch up.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #10

I feel better now. My hubby swears I can't ground guide worth a darn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Sweet! Go for it!
I love the camera on the tailgate of my Armada. DW calls me a smarta$$ now that I back and hitch up without her yelling at me.

Larry
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Wow - your husband actually says that about you -out loud?

I wonder if I could PM him and see what he eats for breakfast cuz I want some of it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
My son organized the family to buy me one of these for Father's Day. Works really well. And could be put into the category of marriage saver for some of us...

DW says its the driver that has issues. I disagree, but I can't convince her it would be soooo much easier to tell me which way the truck needs to go as it approaches the tongue, not after we missed....

She did come up with a pretty good solution for this and for getting parked on the leveling blocks. Once we are close and decided where we want to be, we switch - she drives, I direct. Works pretty good, and if it doesn't - I get the blame, as usual, and then carry on.

But seriously, for the investment, the Eyeball Cam works well, and its great if you are hooking up by yourself.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
DW did a decent job, but when she would say, "Go that way a little bit", there were no hand signals or "left" or "right" in her vocabulary. The camera has solved that problem for me.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
I read a review that said if your car is bluetooth enabled that causes snow. Not sure if you can disable it while you hook up
Have not heard that, thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
All your points well taken, I just jumped over to EBay and ordered one for $99.00 with free shipping should have it in 2 or 3 days. My Tundra has a camera in the tail gate so I will use this on the TT bumper.
Uodate - received the IBall wireless camera. tried it out and found it works well for viewing the hitch as long as there is no metal between the camera and the monitor, If I set it on the bumper the monitor display would scramble (to many lines to see the picture) if I set it on top of the tail gate (tail gate closed) it had a very good picture. Snow and lines when on the bumper of the TT no good for this application. Yes the blue tooth interferes with it so I turned off the blue tooth (my Tundra has this option) and had it off during my test stated above.

Summary: Set it on the top of the closed tail gate, point it down at the hitch and it works good but not much good for anything else. I will give it another trial when I go Camping again perhaps it will do better away from the house and possible interference here.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #16

Like most have said; some love it, some have concerns. I've had one for a year now, and generally it remains in the console, unused.

Yes, Bluetooth equipped vehicles and cell phone proximity can really impact picture quality--snowy to the point of being of no use. As with others, I have disabled the Bluetooth, and/or removed the phones from the cab, but that's a hassle, too.

I've had the camera in all locations, and picture quality does vary. Sometimes it's very good. However, in different light situations, the image quality is quite poor. I bought mine from Amazon, and read the dozens and dozens of user testimonials. Can't say I wasn't warned! Sure wish it worked better.

Oh well! I started with the yellow tennis balls atop the radio antenna-type posts, and am back to them. They work every time!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Baby monitors/camera from Walmart works good. No interference from anything.

Tags
hitch