Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

anyone using scangauge

Just throwing it out there if anyone is using a scaqngauge. I am interested in one for the ecoboost. Was wondering if this gauge will show boost pressure on this truck.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #2

I personally have not used a scan gauge but heard they do work well. I used to use the Edge Insight CS which showed all the data but you had to install a pyrometer to display EGT.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fantastic little device.

Disclaimer: I have no financial dealings with Scan Gauge.....wish I did.

I got it mainly to monitor my transmission temperature. But I have used it mostly to maximize my fuel mileage. The "current", "today", and "tank" mpg modes are great. You can reset "current" at any time to see how you do on the next leg of your trip.

I have adjusted the mpg on my truck compared to my actual readings to get that as accurate as possible. I don't think you can do that with the OEM "lie o' meters".

Also, I have my gear ratio and torque converter ratio plugged into the Scan Gauge. I have learned a lot by watching those numbers in how my transmission and torque converter work together.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

I don't know if it will show the boost, but I love mine. I keep thinking about getting the new diesel version but I don't know what it does over SGII...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskrick View Post
Was wondering if this gauge will show boost pressure on this truck.
Call Scan Gauge and ask. They are very helpful. I called before I got mine to make sure the device registered transmission fluid temperature.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a ScanGauge on my Ecoboost. Yes, it shows boost; and also Horsepower. It does NOT, at this time, read out some of the things that I liked to read with my previous '05 5.4 though. Examples: transmission temp, computed torque, cylinder head temp. You can get a trans temp readout directly from the Ford information center though. Interestingly, I was never able to get the ScanGauge "dialed in" on MPG with the Eco. It did great with the 5.4 on mpg. Fortunately, the Ford information center does a GREAT job on mpg.

With regard to boost, it took me awhile to figure out why I was getting negative boost numbers. Answer (I think) engine not receiving boost and has the negative vacume. Push on the throttle and the number begins to climb toward positive territory. On our recent towing trip, I saw boost numbers around 9 PSI before it downshifted on a steeper hill. On level, depending on wind, it was running 2 to 5 pounds. Kick it down a gear and less boost was required.

I can't believe that the Ecoboost is not putting out these "lost" parameters. My guess is that the PIDs are different and that ScanGauge has not yet figured those out. I've been in contact with their engineer about it but have not had any luck getting the new PIDs.

I've found the ScanGauge to be extremely useful (and fun).
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote