Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive

So... I just traded my F150 in on a F250 diesel. Yes, it has the dreaded 6.0L Powerstroke. The dealership told me it had been bulletproofed, but I won't believe it until I can get it down to Jacksonville and let my diesel mechanic buddy go through it.

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive? From what I've read on other blogs, consistent use of it almost makes bulletproofing unnecessary.

2000 Forest River Wildwood Lite
2006 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4
GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #2

There’s no way an oil additive can prevent the EGR and oil cooler from plugging since the problem isn’t with the oil.

Don’t fall for the gimmick/snake oil. Save your money for repairs/upgrades if the bulletproofing wasn’t done or not done correctly.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

We use ArchOil as a fuel additive. As far as it being a "miracle", I can't speak to that, but with all the crappy additives that California required in diesel it can't hurt to hedge my bets so to speak.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

That additive will help with stiction but do little to address the other issues of the 6.0 (EGR, Oil Cooler, head gasket failure, etc).

It's pretty easy to see if it's got head studs if you know what you're looking for. EGR isn't so easy to tell by looking at it as most of the time nowadays they re-install the stock cooler after they've welded it shut internally.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Yes, used it my 6.4l. could definitely feel a difference. Idled smoother. I'm still trying to figure out why all these additive mfg are keying on Ford products. That is why my driveway now has a RAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGator View Post
So... I just traded my F150 in on a F250 diesel. Yes, it has the dreaded 6.0L Powerstroke. The dealership told me it had been bulletproofed, but I won't believe it until I can get it down to Jacksonville and let my diesel mechanic buddy go through it.

In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive? From what I've read on other blogs, consistent use of it almost makes bulletproofing unnecessary.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
That additive will help with stiction but do little to address the other issues of the 6.0 (EGR, Oil Cooler, head gasket failure, etc).

It's pretty easy to see if it's got head studs if you know what you're looking for. EGR isn't so easy to tell by looking at it as most of the time nowadays they re-install the stock cooler after they've welded it shut internally.
I already checked the studs and yes, it has studs - not bolts. Is that proof it's been bulletproofed?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

I should also state that we have a 7.3. I was nervous about getting a 6.0 because of all the problems I've heard about.
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
I already checked the studs and yes, it has studs - not bolts. Is that proof it's been bulletproofed?
Best group of PSD mechanics is in Raleigh NC at Rudy's diesel.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
That's proof it has studs and the heads have been off (and the gasket replaced). Typically, they'll do a Oil Cooler replacement too at that point but it's hard to tell if it's actually been done. Did they give you any documentation on the work that was done?

The place I had mine done at detailed out what work was completed.

Off the top of my head this is the work that was done on mine.
Head studs
New Gaskets
Machined the heads
Fire-ringed the heads
New oil cooler
Welded EGR cooler shut
Blue spring upgrade
Coolant filter
Cleaned turbo
HPOP rebuild
SCT tuner (to turn the Check engine light off).
I'm running a +50hp tow tune.

I would think that if they provided any documentation it would mention these items.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

6.0 diesel

Bought mine from powerstrokehelp in Buford GA. Came with not only documentation for bullet proofing but copies of the actual Ford Receipts.

They replaced everything and recommended service intervals and using Archoil fuel and oil additives. I've pulled a 37' travel trailer over 15k miles with great performance and no problems. I expect 2 or 300000 more miles.

Bullet proofing is more than just heads, and injectors.
johnbr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
That's proof it has studs and the heads have been off (and the gasket replaced). Typically, they'll do a Oil Cooler replacement too at that point but it's hard to tell if it's actually been done. Did they give you any documentation on the work that was done?

The place I had mine done at detailed out what work was completed.

Off the top of my head this is the work that was done on mine.
Head studs
New Gaskets
Machined the heads
Fire-ringed the heads
New oil cooler
Welded EGR cooler shut
Blue spring upgrade
Coolant filter
Cleaned turbo
HPOP rebuild
SCT tuner (to turn the Check engine light off).
I'm running a +50hp tow tune.

I would think that if they provided any documentation it would mention these items.
No documentation since I bought it at a dealership.