Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #1

Are there any used AND dependable tow vehicles?

By light weight I mean TT with a dry weight range from 4000 lbs to 5500 lbs and a gross weight range between 5400 lbs and 6800 lbs.

The trailers I've been researching are basically couples trailers between 23.5' up to about 28' with my main interest hoping to find one 25 feet or less.

Our current vehicle is 2007 Sequoia Limited 4.7L V8 4x4, 5 speed automatic with overdrive. 6200 lb towing capacity and 1300 lb payload. 273 HP and 314 lbs torque. Burns regular and is very happy with that grade of gas.

I'm getting 15 mpg around town and out on an interstate highway I can get about 19. I'm not sure what I'd get towing 6000 lbs as I haven't done it yet.

MPG does still make a difference here in Washington state - gas is about $1 more per gallon here then you folks in the midwest pay. The midwest (farm belt) is subsidized (yup, you are all on the dole). I grew up in the heart of the midwest but decided I actually like trees better than tornadoes.

SUV or Truck? I don't have any need for a truck other than occasional towing. There are a number of mountain ranges so it won't just be level ground towing. It's got to be 4x4. I live at the beach and driving on the beach without 4x4 means getting stuck in the sand for sure.
But those trucks sure do have better payload capacity than SUV's which is something I never needed to pay attention to before wanting to tow something this big.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

If worried about gas mileage don't buy a camper. will more then likely be close to single digits.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

This theead/post is a bit incoherent and disorganized, but what I think you are saying is you want to tow 6000lbs current trailer with your sequoia or a used vehicle

If this is the case, tow with what you got, and then decide if it will work for you.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #4

Except for the torque, your Sequoia specs are very close to my Frontier.
The short wheel base on the Sequoia means you might have some sway issues.
I don't have enough reserve (aka: safety margin) power pulling my TT over the Sierras and I am looking at another TV.
If all roads were flat or downhill, my Frontier does fine.
There was a recent, positive post about a Tundra with the same 4.7 V8.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

If you want more payload and tow capacity, which you'll likely need if you're looking at trailers that will be pushing the max tow rating of your Toyota, then there are 1/2-ton trucks out there that will fit he bill. I've heard good things about the F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost as well as the 2.7 EcoBoost. These are likely to outperform any gas V8 in the mountains since they have turbos and elevation isn't going to rob much power. Fuel economy will be similar to a V8 when towing but should be a bit better when driving empty.

Another option would be to look for a 2006-2007 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins or a 2006-2007 GM Silverado/Sierra 2500HD Classic with the LBZ Duramax, these are pre-emissions and quite reliable and will have no problem towing a trailer like that. You should be able to find some for less than a newer 1/2-ton truck but you won't have all the latest tech goodies the newer trucks come with. They should also return better fuel economy while towing compared to a gas truck.

Just realize you need to check the payload capacity and tow options of each individual vehicle you're looking at, do not go by the mfr "max tow rating" and don't assume that all models of that vehicle have the same rating as they do not.

Without knowing your budget it's hard to give you a realistic recommendation. "Used" could mean anything in terms of price, age, etc.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Team

abehil, I live on Camano Island, so I understand driving conditions here.
Just so you know, I bought a used 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload capacity.
I drove from Camano to Ocean Shores and back(unloaded). My mpg was a little over 20 for the trip.
It tows my 6000lbs+ couples TT effortlessly. I usually average 10-11mpg, towing up and down the West Coast.
I absolutely love the truck.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Here...

At worst, it will only die on you once.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
abehil, I live on Camano Island, so I understand driving conditions here.
Just so you know, I bought a used 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and 1828lbs of payload capacity.
I drove from Camano to Ocean Shores and back(unloaded). My mpg was a little over 20 for the trip.
It tows my 6000lbs+ couples TT effortlessly. I usually average 10-11mpg, towing up and down the West Coast.
I absolutely love the truck.
I happened to look at a 2010 F150 with a V8. Nice but they seem to have problems with the cam phasers. I've read about the Ecoboost. Reports of lots of power but also warnings about wholesale failure of the motor on some costing $$$. How many miles was on yours when you bought it?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehil View Post
I happened to look at a 2010 F150 with a V8. Nice but they seem to have problems with the cam phasers. I've read about the Ecoboost. Reports of lots of power but also warnings about wholesale failure of the motor on some costing $$$. How many miles was on yours when you bought it?
Bought it with 33k on it.
Ford has sold tons of Ecoboost vehicles, with most having no issues.
I believe that some early model years were more problematic.
On the internet, you'll find every truck brand and truck engine, has had some kind of issues.
I bought my truck from a Ford dealer and was able to buy a Ford extended warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
I bought my 2010 F150 with a 5.4V8 in 2015 used with 12,000 miles on it. I have since put another 110,000 miles on it. No problems, so far. I had a 2002 F150 before that, also with the 5.4V8. Put quite a few miles on it as well. I guess I have been lucky.

As far as fuel economy, in my experience, the closer your vehicle's tow rating is to the actual trailer, the bigger hit you will take on MPG when towing. Back in 2010, the EB was relatively new, so I passed on it.

I only buy used vehicles, so if it were impossible to get a decent used TV I would be out of luck....Pickups tend to have much higher tow ratings than other choices out there. You can go crazy with options which can dramatically cut the payload, which is another issue.

If you are concerned about Ford, there are plenty of good Chevys out there.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #11

Quote:
On the internet, you'll find every truck brand and truck engine, has had some kind of issues.
I bought my truck from a Ford dealer and was able to buy a Ford extended warranty.

Would you buy a 2010 F150 with 130K miles on it?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

depends...

How much, and what condition. Has it been serviced by a dealer, or records? Our stable includes a 2010 150 screw 5.4 4x4 with a 100k on the clock. Bought new. Had to replace the fuel door and fixed a trans leak at 8k under warr.

Services: oil - every 5k, trans flush - 60k, coolant flush - every 30k, brakes - 70k, blistens/ plugs/coils/belts- 90k. Leaky third brake light - replaced.

It has been and continues to be dependent. It lives outdoors and had aged nicely. My next will prob be a tundra as I am leary of the alum body change.. but if I could have a "new" 2010 I would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_154719.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	205529  
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:

If I were to buy a used vehicle this is where I'd buy it, from a Dealer.

Dealers usually "run the trade-ins through the shop" and make sure that they don't have any issues that will keep them married to the vehicle long after it's sold. Those with issues get sold at auction. Good ones are cleaned up, any recall or "campaign" issues handled, and then offered for sale as "certified used" or similar term.

In a private sale you pretty much have to take the owner's word that it's "had all it's shots" and was never abused. If they lie, you have little recourse.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #14

I wouldn’t count on a dealer and their 100 point inspection. It’s almost worthless yet you pay for it built into the price on trade in and resale. I sold cars for short period of time. Took in a car where guy was actually in possession of his title and paid cash on new car. Called a client who might be interested in the trade very clean car very low miles and original owner never negotiated took first offer on his trade( lowballed big time) and paid sticker for new car . So I knew the other guy could afford it. He came next day to look. Couldn’t find car in bullpen or in shop. When I asked sales manager. He said was sold night before and picked up at 10 am so it could be certified. So less than 3 hours for certification
Old 05-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
No, I wouldn't buy any used vehicle with that many miles, for towing, unless it was a diesel.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #16
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] gross weight range between 5400 lbs and 6800 lbs. [...] Our current vehicle is 2007 Sequoia Limited [...] 6200 lb towing capacity and 1300 lb payload. [...]
Keep it simple:
  • 850 lbs on your hitch from your trailer
  • At least 300 lbs for a fully clothed couple (180 + 120)
  • 150 lbs for WDH, gear in/on the truck, wood, etc,
That's 1,300 lbs already and I didn't add kids, pets, etc.

Size your TV around the payload requirement, which is usually in the 1,500 - 2,000 lb range for small trailers and an average family.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
NO...

a big difference between a 2010 and a 2014 and newer, especially in the tranny area, where more speeds makes for better mileage... mostly because of CAFE standards being enforced

I bought a 2014 RAM in 2016 with 28K miles ( saving about $14K over a new model), a certified Dealer used vehicle and got an additional 30K mileage and 2 years on the drive train warranty because of the certification...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
How much, and what condition. Has it been serviced by a dealer, or records? Our stable includes a 2010 150 screw 5.4 4x4 with a 100k on the clock. Bought new. Had to replace the fuel door and fixed a trans leak at 8k under warr.

Services: oil - every 5k, trans flush - 60k, coolant flush - every 30k, brakes - 70k, blistens/ plugs/coils/belts- 90k. Leaky third brake light - replaced.

It has been and continues to be dependent. It lives outdoors and had aged nicely. My next will prob be a tundra as I am leary of the alum body change.. but if I could have a "new" 2010 I would.
One candidate was a 2010 Platinum F150 that had one owner for about $15k with good Carfax. It's not the only year or make I'm considering. I've been a Toyota/Nissan owner for decades but the tow/payload capacity requirements that are making me look elsewhere.

I always buy used. Typically I replace the shocks, sway links and bushings, flush the power steering fluid, change the motor oil, diff fluid and tranny fluids, grease everything.

What I want is a vehicle that if taken care of doesn't have bad engine/tranny design that has so many weaknesses that they WILL break regardless. I know the engine/tranny of my Toyota will last another 100K miles if I just do regular maintenance. Is that too much to ask of a Ford/Chevy/Dodge?

I'm retired and don't want a $600 car payment. I'm not driving I-5 anymore into work so I don't put a ton of miles on my vehicle anymore. I can't say that MPG is a non issue but its not the main concern. I want a vehicle that can do a trucks job but also be comfortable to drive on long trips whether its towing or not.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #19

After re-reading my last post, it read a little preachy and I didn't intend that.

I don't think Toyota is perfect by any means. I've had to replace window motors and door checks on mine and they aren't cheap and don't seem to last as long as they should. And they have the rusting frame issues which are especially bad where they use salt on the roads in winter. And it seems like they went out of their way to make changing shocks on my Sequoia as difficult as humanly possible.

But how many engine/tranny combinations do you have to compare to find a good year? The Toys are the same while the competition starts over every few years with something new and never seems to perfect whatever they are using. I was interested in getting a diesel F250 but it seems that in order to have work done on the engine they have to lift the cabin of the truck off the chassis. So the diesels are tough and reliable but IF they need work done on them it's super expensive. Again, rolling the dice. More research for now.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #20
Retired Panpsychist

In our case, we spent about 2-years shopping for a tow vehicle before we found the right one! We had already made a decision to buy a hybrid, so we knew the approximate weight parameters (GCWR, payload, tongue weight, etc) we needed in order to safely tow our pending TT purchase.

To find TV candidates, we used the various online car searching platforms and configured the searches to meet our specs. The biggest refinement issue we had to deal with was getting the payload ratings for the vehicles found by online searching; payload is not a configurable search option. This necessitated emailing and calling the dealers to have them look at the payload label on the vehicle's door jamb. As a side note, you wouldn't believe how uninformed many of the dealers were about payload ratings; in too many cases we had to send them an image of the label so they would know which number to report to us!

We soon found that we could "back into" the higher payload models by NOT looking at the premium (basically heavier) models like the SuperCrew, Platinum, Lariat, etc. or certain equipment options like a sunroof, off-road packages, etc. On the other hand, we DID want the 36-gal tank, 4WD and at least the heavy duty towing package among other towing needs.

Almost 2-years to the month (Feb 2019), AutoTrader turned up with a 2015 F-150 that exactly met our (very picky) specifications. It was a CPO truck at a dealer and had less than 18,000 miles and a 1,980-lb payload. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but it easily ticked all the boxes.

So, there are good TVs out there to be had. However, you may need to cast a wide net and be ready to compromise on non-essential items like color, interior, and other "nice to have" options. Also, it may take a while for good TV candidates to pop up in the searches.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle