Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #41
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
I am thinking of a second tank, want take long to pay for itself when you travel from state to state. There is about a 40 to 50 cents price difference between NC, SC, and VA gas prices.
My Gramps used to go into Mexico to fill up his auxiliary tank. Diesel in Mexico was around 15 cents per gallon back then.
He also had a marine fuel filter-Mexican diesel was cheap in more ways than one...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #42

Interesting conversation as I was just talking about this with my father in-law over the weekend. His Chevy 3500 was previously owned by a car hauler and is wired for the aux tank. I have been caught once in a rual area where there was no diesel, and it was a bit scary, but that was when I was new to diesel. I pay more attention now as I like to stop around 1/4 to refill. By then it's break time anyway. For me I was considering it because like someone said on the blog, I know the fuel I'm getting and at what price. So it's personal preference. It's on my "wish list"of thing to do to my truck, but way down at the bottom....aka not likely to happen. My long runs have been all east coast along a major highway, so plenty of truck stops. I normally look for the Pilot/Flying J or Love. Especially now I know I can go in the truck lane, and just go inside and pay. But a Pilot/FLying J fuel card coming soon. Get more off than the RV card..

As always, good conversation guys!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #43

Truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
have yet to see a fuel stop that wont sell diesel because you dont have a dot number.
I was denied fuel at truck stops in both IN as well as IL because I had no DOT no's.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #44

Fuel stops

It may be of interest to some that Murphy, Stripes and Flying J are places to avoid. Why? Because though they're "gallon" is LEGAL, it's on the low end. So, you get 5% less than at others. Yes, we've checked the fuel quantity on the pump, vs what we use.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #45

That's intersting OL Creeker. I bet they are not the only places. I have a 26 gallon tank but have filled up with a 1/4 tank and the pump read 25 gallons added. No way, unless my tank is larger than listed. Pump getting over on me...man
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #46
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
didnt the flying j and pilot have diesel on the car side? must be a lot of mad diesel powered car owners who cant get fuel because of no dot/icc number.
With a 38 ft trailer, getting into and out of the car side is often not possible. Some stations yes, but many, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I always stop at Pilots and have never been denied fuel because of no DOT #. Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm thinking there might have been a misinformed employee. Pilot/Flying J even have an RV rewards card for their diesel.
Good for you. Hope your luck holds. But it has happened to me at Flying J/Pilot (same company) with my RV card in three states now. I will not use their stations again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
I am thinking of a second tank, want take long to pay for itself when you travel from state to state. There is about a 40 to 50 cents price difference between NC, SC, and VA gas prices.
My last truck (Ford Excursion) had a 44 gallon tank which was great. Often diesel prices change 30 cents or more from MO to KS. I was filling up around 1x week when I drove it full time, so that was literally a couple hundred bucks a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
It may be of interest to some that Murphy, Stripes and Flying J are places to avoid. Why? Because though they're "gallon" is LEGAL, it's on the low end. So, you get 5% less than at others. Yes, we've checked the fuel quantity on the pump, vs what we use.
Note they have been sued in numerous states, and are under a federal indictment, though not related to this. I did some research on this after my bad experiences with them.

As for tanks - I like the cost and ease of use on an in bed tank (and unlike some, I have the payload reserve to do it within my truck published numbers as I have lighter tongue weight than a 5'er) but I would prefer the replacement tank in the factory location to leave my bed free. However Titan is the only brand I have seen and it starts at 1,000 for the replacement tank. As the truck is now only for pulling the camper, it is awful hard to justify that kind of expense.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
With a 38 ft trailer, getting into and out of the car side is often not possible. Some stations yes, but many, no.
I agree I was going through Charlottesville VA this summer looking for fuel with the light on had no choice but to go in a car type station with a 40 5er. Got in no problem but had to wait for 3 cars to move to leave. It is shocking how little respect people have for trailers. There was a vette that pulled between me and the car beside me then pulled to the pump in front of the car leaving his vette at a angle. I got hateful looks when I pulled up past his car within a foot of the vette. The funny thing was then he had to wait for me to move. LOL
Old 10-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #48
phat phrog stunt crew

The funny thing was then he had to wait for me to move. LOL

sometimes revenge is best served cold
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #49

My PU has a 38 gallon tank right now the 60 gallon under bed tank from Titan would only add about 200 pounds which would put me right at 8000 pounds I can live with that.

An in bed tank is not an option because I have a Better Built chest tool box which is more important to me.

Titan is about a four hour drive for me, nice little run.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #50

Rds tank

Quote:
If anyone is contemplating buying an aux tank, I have a suggestion. RDS is apparently one of the best co's to make the tank. However, you can't order directly from them. BUT you can tell them what you need, they'll give you the proper PN. Then, using that number, call eg Northern Tool. I wish I had known this. It would have saved me a headache.
I ordered a tank from RDS Tank and ordered it to the size I wanted and in the size I needed.

RDS Tanks (Linda) at 850-584-6898
RONN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #51

I have an rds in bed 40gal aux transfer tank....only use it on longer trips...stock tank is only 26 gallons and towing sometimes with a LIFTED Truck on 35" mud tires (if I'm too lazy to put stockers on) into a head wind with a 36' trailer can net me a low of 8.7 mpg......thats about 200 miles if I'm lucky...also running the truck that low is not good for pumps...as they cycle fuel to cool themselves....texas is a BIIIIIIG state...rural diesel prices are inflated.....and you just domt always fit when your 50 ' long trying to manuver to tahy ONE DIESEL pump they have.....

any way.....yes...rds makes great products..!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Our 5er is 39', plus 20' TV. Try getting THAT into your age rage "gas" station and back out. We burn diesel - some truck stops in IL and IN will NOT sell fuel unless you have a DOT no. When we're at our destination, I'll be able to park the 5er, then much more safely, go get fuel! The additional weight is a non issue.

The advertised pump price on the commercial diesel lanes in Indiana and Oregon represents the tax-exempt price for commercial vehicles only. Private vehicles are required by law to pay the state fuel tax at the time of purchase. When making purchases in these states on the commercial lanes, the pump price will increase to the taxed price as required.

This came from Pilot Flying J website. myRewards - RV Customer
chriswoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #53
phat phrog stunt crew

diesel fuel is tax exempt at the pump for commercial vehicles, but the states get it back in road use taxes. those big trucks arent riding the roads for free.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank