Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #21

10-4 I missed that part, sorry!

It would become an issue in that case potentially! Not to say it would be a bad idea though...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #22

Still seems very speedy and on top of wanting the extra tank ($600 was mentioned) getting it AND you reg tank filled (2-3 cred card transactions unless you go inside first) 400+ miles a day, really??! Why put yourself through that much stress? 350 or so a day is really about it for a "safe travel day" and not getting overly stressed/tired. If you really must "press on regardless" doesn't seem you are doing yourself, family, others on the road any favors. Just sayin, no offense to anyone - IMHO.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #23

I have a 36 gal tank in the back of my truck & not only give me piece of mind when we travel, it also makes it easy to fill my tractor on my farm. Would not be without it.
Ray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #24

Personally, I would install the tank. I am doing that myself by adding a 45 gallon tank with a toolbox. That moves my range from around 325 miles per refueling to 800 miles. The difference is on long trips I can do my research and not have to stop for 35 gallons in nearly every state. I can now run my range and plan ahead and stop in refill in the states with the better prices. I have also been in areas where acess to diesel was limited for some distance and had to run the tank well down that out of 38 gallon tank I put 36.9 when I finally found a place selling diesel I could get in and out of.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
Denver, CO

Where is the data that suggests that it is okay to put 400lbs of diesel in a 3/4 ton truck with a 5er on the back and stay under payload? In my situation, I am already right at GVWR with an empty bed (hitch is in there, of course) and normal stuff (heavy me and DW). I would truly love to have additional fuel capacity, but am a little leery of exceeding payload capacity.

Maybe I could put a tank under the bed in the rear of the camper, where I have the capacity to hold it and use a pump to bring it into the truck tank. HMMMM maybe another mod coming. I wonder if a regular RV tank would hold diesel.

IMO, of course.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
In epeydad's case I would say heck yes 400-500lbs is a non issue. Have you seen his truck?! It's a small semi (and i'm jealous)!!! If he is grossing 24,000 lbs do you realize that 400 lbs is roughly 1.5% of additional weight... So yeah, not a big deal.
When talking about weights- I was referring to the claimed MPG hit, not so much as the payload concerns that you would bump up against.

Though- cracking the payload nut, I wouldn't actually always be able to fill it up fully without exceeding GVWR. In my case, a 90 gallon replacement tank is a 64 gallon increase. 64 gallons @ 7 pounds per gallon (average) is 392 pounds. (ignoring the extra weight of the larger tank)

I usually only have about 500 pounds between my GVWR and actual truck weight. If, like this last weigh-in, I have an extra adult and enough gear for 3 weeks at the beach- I was only 265 pounds under my GVWR.

ANYWAY... I think this is a personal preference like most other things. What one person thinks is a stupid idea, a dozen more can stand up and agree to it. Same with daily mileages (what's good for one might be different for another).
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
400+ miles a day, really??! Why put yourself through that much stress? 350 or so a day is really about it for a "safe travel day" and not getting overly stressed/tired. If you really must "press on regardless" doesn't seem you are doing yourself, family, others on the road any favors. Just sayin, no offense to anyone - IMHO.
IMHO is right. Your rig, your choice. My rig, my choice.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #28

I really like the idea of the Titan 65 gallon replacement tank for my truck. It would allow me to have that extra 60 gallon water tank in the bed of my truck for dry camping.

Besides I like having the room in the bed to put what ever.

On my heaviest day I still have 1500lbs of payload left!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I really like the idea of the Titan 65 gallon replacement tank for my truck. It would allow me to have that extra 60 gallon water tank in the bed of my truck for dry camping.

Besides I like having the room in the bed to put what ever.

On my heaviest day I still have 1500lbs of payload left!
Love those F450's for their payload. Now if they would make a single wheel extended cab short bed so I could actually drive and park it daily, that would be awesome...
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #30

Thankfully my daily is either a Minivan or my Cavalier. Truck only does truck duty.

Kinda sad as it is a really nice truck, although I do sneak it out a time or two during nice days!!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
daydreaming about camping

I just have to laugh at the guys who question wanting the extended range...perhaps in your particular situation that does not make sense, but many people have very different set-ups.

My truck has a 26 gallon tank. That means at 10mpg I would only have 160 mile usable range between stops if I left 100 miles worth in the tank. I typically only stop every 200 miles...and in order to make vacation work - we pulled from 861 miles back form Western CO in 2 days. That is 5 fuel stops. That gets old REALLY fast.

And to add insult to injury - the Flying J in Junction City KS and the Pilot in Colby both refused to turn the pump on without a DOT number.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #32

i have a 40 gal tank (stock tank) and have a range of anywhere from 300 to 350. only place i almost got in trouble twice was on US 2 thru montana. came somewhat close once in ND.
the first close call was when i left ND and it was mid afternoon. had half a tank and thought it wouldn't be a problem. shortly after entering mont, i noticed i wasn't meeting many viehicles. no reason to have stations if no traffic. i was just under 1/4 tank when i found a station. got lower than that the next time.
i've thought abt the aux tank but that was the only trip with close calls in 15 yrs. now i consider the distance between larger towns before i choose a route.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I just have to laugh at the guys who question wanting the extended range...perhaps in your particular situation that does not make sense, but many people have very different set-ups.

My truck has a 26 gallon tank. That means at 10mpg I would only have 160 mile usable range between stops if I left 100 miles worth in the tank. I typically only stop every 200 miles...and in order to make vacation work - we pulled from 861 miles back form Western CO in 2 days. That is 5 fuel stops. That gets old REALLY fast.

And to add insult to injury - the Flying J in Junction City KS and the Pilot in Colby both refused to turn the pump on without a DOT number.

Agreed!

We need to drive around 4 hours just to get to places that people from Denver aren't willing to drive to, and my rig is very long and I normally need to pull into a truck stop to get fuel as I am just as long as them which means lots of planning.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I just have to laugh at the guys who question wanting the extended range...perhaps in your particular situation that does not make sense, but many people have very different set-ups. My truck has a 26 gallon tank. That means at 10mpg I would only have 160 mile usable range between stops if I left 100 miles worth in the tank. I typically only stop every 200 miles...and in order to make vacation work - we pulled from 861 miles back form Western CO in 2 days. That is 5 fuel stops. That gets old REALLY fast. And to add insult to injury - the Flying J in Junction City KS and the Pilot in Colby both refused to turn the pump on without a DOT number.
I'm in the same boat but unwilling to carry the extra pounds in a 2500 that is at max load. maybe some other 2500's have more capacity but I don't. My old F350 had 96 gallons of transfer flow tanks and I loved it, but I don't see how to do it within gvwr in my truck.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
phat phrog stunt crew

didnt the flying j and pilot have diesel on the car side? must be a lot of mad diesel powered car owners who cant get fuel because of no dot/icc number.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
didnt the flying j and pilot have diesel on the car side? must be a lot of mad diesel powered car owners who cant get fuel because of no dot/icc number.
They do. Especially on the end isles.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I always stop at Pilots and have never been denied fuel because of no DOT #. Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm thinking there might have been a misinformed employee. Pilot/Flying J even have an RV rewards card for their diesel.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #38

I think Alan started this thread to give a thumbs up to the company where he bought his tank not if he should have one or not.
Some people like Vanilla and some like Chocolate.
Enough Said.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #39

I am thinking of a second tank, want take long to pay for itself when you travel from state to state. There is about a 40 to 50 cents price difference between NC, SC, and VA gas prices.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #40
DDC

When I had my chev 2500 diesel I put a 52 gal tank from TSC on the bed and used a plumbed pump to fill the main tank it was great not having to stop so often and also gave us the option of filling up at the best price.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank