Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #21

Yes, revrnd, that is correct. My Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi MDS engine and 3:54 rear on 17's gets 20 highway mpg NOT pulling at 65, and 7.5 to 8 mpg towing my 30 foot V lite. Bikendan, the MDS system does nothing when towing. My 3:54 rear end gear is my only problem with my set up, I modified the other problems toget it to pull my rig good. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasedm View Post
Is it ok to store it outside? Will it get damaged at all, the winters are pretty harsh here.

Deena

Storing outside is not a problem. Just make sure you follow the winterizing proceedures to the letter. We hit -35 to -40 at times here and no issues, well usually the first winter here for a new trailer tells the truth as many new ones experience cracked or buckled linolieum floors simply because of how they put the floors down (They are glued only around the edges according to the FR factory rep I talked with prior to our purchase) and this is not pecular to FR products as our last TT the floor buckled and my neighbors new one the floor split. Also some people put the slides out and others like us leave them in so not sure which is better.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #23

A truck will survive the winters just fine If you are thinking of keeping the dogs in the bed of the truck, eve if it has a cap, the bed area is not heated and I doubt your dogs will like the cold weather with all the breeze ... Something to worry about I guess with a truck.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #24

Goomph... Our dog is spoiled. She sleeps in the trailer. :-) Having her in the cab would be just to/from the final destination. I can't see us camping past October, I'm a wimp and I do not like to drive when there is any kind of 'precipitation' (especially snow/ice). I don't know, maybe I will once I get used to it so it's something to think about!
peasedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I don't have any experience w/ the "displacement on demand" engines, but would it be safe to say the engine only reverts to the V4 mode when the load on it is light?
i said it "allows" them to get up to 20mpg. i never said this was while towing. of course, it's a regular v-8 when towing.
but i can get the 20mpg average when i drive from here to Sacramento and back. of course, it's nearly flat most of the way. and i'm not towing!

but my point is that you can get close to 20mpg when highway driving. which is what most v-6 trucks can get.

the public is under the impression that v-8 trucks are gas hogs when the newer ones have nearly identical gas mileage ratings as the smaller and lighter v-6 trucks do.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i said it "allows" them to get up to 20mpg. i never said this was while towing. of course, it's a regular v-8 when towing.
but i can get the 20mpg average when i drive from here to Sacramento and back. of course, it's nearly flat most of the way. and i'm not towing!

but my point is that you can get close to 20mpg when highway driving. which is what most v-6 trucks can get.

the public is under the impression that v-8 trucks are gas hogs when the newer ones have nearly identical gas mileage ratings as the smaller and lighter v-6 trucks do.
While not the best I have heard by far on this forum; my 2008 GMC 2500HD Sierra CrewCab 4x2 with Duramax diesel engine and Allison Transmission (3.73 Positraction rear) gets:

Empty - Cruise Control at 65 = 23 MPH Highway
Empty (Generator in back no hitch installed) Around town = 13MPG

Packed for camping and towing 9200 pound 5th wheel
Highway Cruise Control - Tow/Haul ON = 12-13MPG
In town (IE NOT on cruise - Stop and Go type) = 10 MPG average
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle