Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #11

a Tahoe will return near the same fuel econom as ann Envoy and be far better as a tow vehicle.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasedm View Post
Well, we towed the TT last weekend, short trip, about 2.5 hours and it seemed to do okay. Didn't have any overheating issues, in fact I was surprised because the temp was the same as it runs without the TT attached.
Should I always be going for an 8-cyl? What else do we look for?
when you talk about temp, are you talking about the engine temp or the tranny temp? you didn't say if a tranny temp gauge was installed with the trans cooler.
if you are talking about the dash temp gauge, that's not the tranny's temp. that's the engine's oil temp.
the tranny could be waaayyy hotter while pulling.
if you don't have the tranny temp gauge, you need to get one if you continue to pull with that Jeep.

and yes, i'd look at one of the newer generation v-8. my v-8 Avalanche gets about the same gas mileage as v-6 trucks. the newer GM and Dodge v-8 engines have a v-4 feature that allows them to get highway mpg of 20 or better.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #13

Be careful factory gauges can be misleading. Even though you have a "real looking" gauge, they can still be nothing more than an idiot light and not be truly proportional as you might think. This is the case with many of the Ford products believe it or not.

Tire size will change the effective gear ratio as well. Going to a taller tire is like going to a steeper gear.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #14

We have a jeep with 4:56 gears in it. pulling is not a problem for a boat or pop up off road. But highway I think about the tail wagging the dog. That short wheel base can get you back to off road where you want to or not!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #15

You got very good advice on above posts, You WILL be upgrading if you are like any of us A 2500 based Suburban/Yukon or an excursion will serve you well.

One word of caution, we are not responsible for the gas mileage you will be getting

After the last upgrade, befor every trip I carefully calculate how much the fuel will cost to get there and to return, and then decide if I can afford to make the trip.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the newer GM and Dodge v-8 engines have a v-4 feature that allows them to get highway mpg of 20 or better.
I don't have any experience w/ the "displacement on demand" engines, but would it be safe to say the engine only reverts to the V4 mode when the load on it is light?
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #17
Site Team

A little off topic but I can tell you for a fact that the gauges on my F150 are "managed". I have a ScanGaugeII so I know this is true. They are, in fact, mostly just another form of idiot light. Apparently they got too much consumer concern from people who don't understand their oil pressure is lower at idle than on the highway!! So now we get dumbed down "gauges".
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

There is alot to look at with gear ratios. They also determine the max tow weight of the vehicle. For example an 08 Ram 2500 Hemi Megacab with 4:10 gears has a max trailer weight of 10,400 and the same truck with 3:73's is 8,400. It is not that the truck is any less capable, it is what the manufacturer deems a safe margin for stuff like the tranny as less gear equals more work for the tranny. And get in an accident with a vehicle that has a trailer that has exceeded the ratings for the TV and you may be in a whole other kettle of fish as to insurance coverage etc.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #19

I had a rental Sierra with the 4/8 cylinder management feature for two weeks. The moment I touched the gas pedal to accelerate with nothing in tow, no passengers, it immediately switched to 8 cylinder mode. I am usually very light on the gas pedal and experimented a lot to make it stay in 4 cyl mode, but it would just switch to 8 cyl mode the moment I touched the gas pedal. The only times it reported 4 cyl mode was if I was going downhill with my foot off the gas pedal, or coasting to a stop light again with my foot off the gas pedal. Other than that it was always in 8 cylinder mode. I would not count on that feature much to save gas, just my opinion based on the truck I drove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I don't have any experience w/ the "displacement on demand" engines, but would it be safe to say the engine only reverts to the V4 mode when the load on it is light?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #20

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the advice!

Now you have just added more fuel to the fire, as my husband has been wanting to replace his 'regular' car with something much larger for some time now. I was originally going to get rid of the GC, and replace it. But now he wants to keep the GC and replace HIS car! :-) Oh, and now he wants to make sure it's 'something we can grow with'. What does that mean? I tell you what it means - he KNOWS he is going to want a larger trailer. hahahha, everyone was right!

Our intent was actually to wait until next year and get a truck and trailer at the same time. When we went to the RV dealer we just wanted to look around to get an idea of the features we wanted for next year. We didn't want to buy anything. However, the deal we got on this 2010 closeout was just too good to pass up, it had everything we wanted (including being 'small', that was one of my requirements) so we bought it... figured we wouldn't really use it much until next year anyway since it's probably going to be snowing in a few weeks (I just jinxed everyone in the Chicago area btw - sorry!).

So we are looking at a Suburban or Yukon. I think his preference would be a truck (meaning, an open bed the back) and then we would get a cap for the bed for the dog. But for right now the priority is finding an adequate storage location for the winter.

Is it ok to store it outside? Will it get damaged at all, the winters are pretty harsh here.

Deena

Tags
axle