Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #1

Axle Weights From Scale - help understanding

Four thousand miles into my trip, I decided to weigh my truck and trailer. My 2011 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 SCREW with 373 rear is pulling my Work and Play 18EC toy hauler with an advertised dry weight of about 5,200 lbs. In the trailer is my 800 pound Harley as well as all our other stuff. I am averaging a little above 10 mpg at 60-63 mph.

From the scale ticket:

Steer axle 3,300 lbs
Drive axle 4,180 lbs
Trailer axle 6,160 lbs
Gross weight 13,640 lbs. (manual lists my truck at max GVW as 15,500)

I am not sure I understand the axle weights. I am using a weight distributing hitch and the truck is pulling really well with the exception that on some bumpy roads the rear sometimes feels a little soft.

Are these numbers good? I know the trailer weighs more than the 6,160 with all our stuff in it. Is the 880 pound difference between the front and rear axle ok? The truck is steering well.

I think I might have felt better not knowing all this.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Should have weighed the set-up with the W/D bars disconnected to determine the amount of weight you're transferring and where. A weight of the truck alone would also have determined the campers tongue weight.

With the weights you have you can compare them to the truck's specs for GVWR and FAWR/RAWR. Unless your truck has the max tow option, you may be over the truck's GVWR and RAWR.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle