Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

B&W 5th wheel hitch for Ram trucks

Ok just bought a 2016 Ram 3500 mega cab and purchased the B&W 3600 5th wheel hitch. The hitch has 4 adjustments for the arms to determine how close the head sits to the cab with the furthest being 4 inches behind the axle. The etrailer video shows mounting using the furthest back for the short bed but I would prefer for the pin to sit over the axle. So for you guys that have this same setup what position are your arms in.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #2

I have the B&W Companion hitch in my 2013 Ram 3500, I don't have the Mega Cab but I do have the Crew Cab with long box and DRW's. I set mine up with the hitch directly over the Axle and on the Shortest height, these trucks sit pretty tall in the back end.
You don't say, or I didn't see it, but so you have a short box? if so you might have to take in consideration the corners of your 5er hitting your cab if the hitch is to far forward.

by the way I love the hitch, yes it is heavy to quickly remove but it is one nice hitch. I had a Moryde pin box installed on the trailer and thats a nice improvement as well.

Hope this helps some.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

Yes I have the short box. That is the only option on the mega cab. I installed my hitch today and put the arms at the furthest back position which is 4 inches behind the axle and middle setting for hight. After hooking the trailer up it sits level with 6 inches of clearance. I also have plenty of turning clearance so I could move the head over the axle but I spoke with B&W and they said it doesn't matter which position you put it in it distributes the weight the same because of the base so I'll probably leave it as is to have more room between the cab and trailer. Definitely like the hitch.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #4

I would leave it back far as I can. still watch your turns though. I was turning off the highway, and up an incline and to the right kind of parallel to the highway and when the nose of truck went up incline and I turned right it just folded the cab in to the 5er. $1000.00 to get cab fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	122179  
doodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Ouch, a good lesson. I am thinking once I trade the Rockwood I will get a slider.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:12 PM   #6

I'm not knocking a slider by any means, but in my particular situation I don't believe a slider would have helped, I'm not stopping my rig in a busy highway to engage the slider. That would cause more problems than the ding in my cab.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodler View Post
I would leave it back far as I can. still watch your turns though. I was turning off the highway, and up an incline and to the right kind of parallel to the highway and when the nose of truck went up incline and I turned right it just folded the cab in to the 5er. $1000.00 to get cab fixed.
I have a new camper with the rounded front cap. I pulled it in and out of the driveway last night which puts the camper at a tight turn and incline and I had my daughter video it so I could see how much clearance I had. I had a 06 mega cab before this and had a slider hitch that I never once used in the back position. I put the arms on the new hitch furthest back to be cautious but have no doubt I could put it over the axle. The thing I like about it being back though is it makes it easier to get to the stuff I sit in front of the hitch when the camper is hooked up so I am going to leave it there at least for the first couple of trips.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
I'm not knocking a slider by any means, but in my particular situation I don't believe a slider would have helped, I'm not stopping my rig in a busy highway to engage the slider. That would cause more problems than the ding in my cab.
Check out Pull-Rite Superglide....fully automatic...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

I’m not sure I’m going to buy how the base can distribute the weight the same
as to where it is centered somehow the laws of physics are telling me different at least mind

it sure seems like it makes a differance in my truck
and i have tried it both ways

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Yeah it doesn't really make sense but that is what B&W claims or at least the person I spoke with. We leave for a trip on Friday and I'm going to leave it in the rear position and see how it does. I will have all the tools with me to move the head forward if I don't like the way it is handling.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #11

That's why I would get a Pullrite automatic slider.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check out Pull-Rite Superglide....fully automatic...
Thanks, I was thinking you had to get out to engage a bar or something. This is why I like this forum!
Old 10-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Left Coast

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking you had to get out to engage a bar or something. This is why I like this forum!
I have an 8' box, but because I carry a trike {scooter} up behind cab, sideways, I needed the extra turning ability. The auto slider gives me 18" more, and you never leave the 'comfort of home'.....It's a heavy hitch, but as my truck is only used as a puller anymore, the hitch stays in.......you can lift it out using the pin box and the landing gear...or a freind
Old 10-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I have an 8' box, but because I carry a trike {scooter} up behind cab, sideways, I needed the extra turning ability. The auto slider gives me 18" more, and you never leave the 'comfort of home'.....It's a heavy hitch, but as my truck is only used as a puller anymore, the hitch stays in.......you can lift it out using the pin box and the landing gear...or a freind
I have the b&w turnover ball system for pulling my gooseneck, that's why I went with b&w companion hitch, and they didn't have a compatible slider at that time.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
Left Coast

I'd like to use a Sidewinder, as it has 22" ........inches do count!....lol
Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #16

I just bought a 2016 Dodge ram crew cab 8 ft bed diesel with 5th wheel pep and had a B & W companion installed it friday hooked up to 5th wheel Saturday took it for test run about 70 miles, love it can't waite to take on a new trip now. I would add a pic but don't know how I don't se an attachment to click on.
kd4ipk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, truck, wheel