Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

B&W Companion

Look at purchasing a B&W Companion hitch. Just looking for comments both good and bad from those that have this hitch. Mostly about ease of installation and removal,
dc471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Always Learning

I have the B&W Companion with the Turnover Ball Gooseneck installed in my truck. Hands-down, I love it. In fact, most B&w users are rabid & cult-like with our love for our hitches.

Installation is easy. It's very convenient that the base and the coupler head separate into 2 pieces. The base is a little heavy and unwieldy, but completely manageable. When not in use, I keep it on a furniture dolly and roll it around the garage. Installation is placing the square post into the gooseneck hole, setting the base on top and tightening 2 U-bolts (4 nuts) and then tightening down a 5th bolt. You set the coupler on top, put the pins in and you're ready to go.

Uninstalling is just the reverse. More times than not, my 9 year old daughter is out helping me loosen the nuts on the u-bolts. She needs a little help to get them started, but then goes gang-busters on them.

Removing the hitch leaves you with a completely flat bed. The only thing that is above the rised part of the bed are the u-bolts for the gooseneck hitch if you choose to install them. My installer originally didn't and I debated not installing them, but I eventually did. But even they are only about an 1/8-inch above the surrounding area.

Base without coupler head:

Empty bed:

Take a look at my glowing review with more pictures on my blog at:
Learn To RV: product review
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Absolutely love my B&W. Mine is like the one above. I've had two on different trucks and will have another if I get a new truck. IMHO it's the best hitch made. And it's made completely here in the USA and their customer service is second to none!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Always Learning

No kidding about the customer service! I've had nothing but great experiences the times I've reached out to them.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

I love mine too! I pull a gooseneck equipment trailer alot too so its simple to swap over. I keep a torq wrench and socket in my tv toolbox just for it.

I have also worked on a dodge 2500 truck that wrecked pull a 5er. The hitch was pretty mangled as well as the toolbox (still have it-to cut some diamond plate out of) and I also put a new bed on it and fixed the back of the cab. Somehow the hitch held up enough to keep the trailer from breaking the back glass. Needless to say I was sold. I replaced upper (companion) and lower (turnover ball) as per insurance estimate. But lower was still good and I sold it on CL .

Ps . The B&W is the only hitch system that doesn't require drilling the frame- which will void warranty and also some dealers will give you fits about frame holes. Plus if you need to pull the bed, you only have to remove the 3/4"nuts on the chain ubolts and your bed will lift right off lower base.(I love it when a truck with rear damage comes in with a b&w- HATE, HATE,HATE working on trucks with rails)
( can you tell im a b&w fan)
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have the B&W Companion with the Turnover Ball Gooseneck installed in my truck. Hands-down, I love it. In fact, most B&w users are rabid & cult-like with our love for our hitches.

Installation is easy. It's very convenient that the base and the coupler head separate into 2 pieces. The base is a little heavy and unwieldy, but completely manageable. When not in use, I keep it on a furniture dolly and roll it around the garage. Installation is placing the square post into the gooseneck hole, setting the base on top and tightening 2 U-bolts (4 nuts) and then tightening down a 5th bolt.
That order of tightening the companion hitch onto the square post is backwards. Tighten the single bolt on the top to 40 ft/lbs and the the 4 nuts on the ubolts is next and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. I put this hitch into my truck this spring and am very happy with it as it is a lot quieter than what I had previously.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I didnt even catch that in the post, wingriders you are correct, drawdown bolt locks the pin underneath from being pulled out.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #8

After haveing two types of Reese hitches that made me nuts with looseness and noise I when with the B&W Patriot not Companion. All the play and noise is gone, the head is easy to remove or install, the base is a little heavy but can be handel by one person, Just the four pins and your down the road. No problems hooking or unhooking, works just the over the road big boys 5th wheel. The mounting is not the same as the Companion but like the hitch all the same, for the money you can't beat it.
cactus05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Owner/Operator

And if you have a flat bed truck, or a hauler bed, the Companion Flat Bed Model does not even have the two "U" Bolts with their 4 nuts to tighten. Just drop the square post in the receiver, let the pin go home, and tighten the one top bolt to 40 ft-lbs.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #10

I'm late to the party, but hopefully by now you see you're probably not going to hear a bad thing about it. It's very user friendly, and even user installable.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #11

I had to have a flat bed in the truck with hitch gone. Easy to remove and allows me full use of truck. Go for it
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingriders View Post
That order of tightening the companion hitch onto the square post is backwards. Tighten the single bolt on the top to 40 ft/lbs and the the 4 nuts on the ubolts is next and torqued to 80 ft/lbs. I put this hitch into my truck this spring and am very happy with it as it is a lot quieter than what I had previously.
Thanks for catching that. I think I go back to the instructions most times to see which order. You're right.

From the B&W instructions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Instructions
Place the RV Base over the RV post so that the U-bolts wrap around the RV post. (PIC E) Then place a 1⁄2” washer (K) on the 1⁄2” x 3” draw-down bolt (D), insert the bolt through the hole in the top flange of the RV base and hand-thread the draw-down bolt into the RV Post. **NOTE: DO NOT lubricate the draw down bolt or U- bolts, the torque value is for dry threads. Square the RV base legs with the ribs of the truck bed and then tighten the 1⁄2” x 3” draw-down bolt to 40 ft-lb. Next, tighten the two u-bolts to 80 ft-lb. to secure the RV Base to the RV Post. It is very important that the draw-down bolt is tightened before the U-bolts are tightened. When the RV Base is installed correctly, the RV Post should have a 1⁄4” to 1” gap between the RV Post and the RV Base where the draw-down bolt attaches.(PIC F) Also, you should not be able to disengage the latch pin in the wheel well when the base is installed correctly.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Think I'll stick with my Reese and pull 4 pins and deal with the rails if I need the bed. They sure don't take up much room.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

I have one and love it. I use the truck for other things and like the flat bed. I have never had a problem hooking or unhooking as I have herd other people talk about. Easy to remove without help. Base unit does not slide on spray in bed liner. But that is good. The 18k rating for safety factor is not bad also.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #15

B&W here also ! I just started towing with a 5er and this setup was already in the TV I bought so this is all I have experience with. No complaints at all
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote