Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch position

I recently bought a new to me B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch base. The old base I had was the u-bolt style base that held the post in a fixed position (the post I am referring to is what is inserted into the turnover ball hitch that is installed underneath the truck). The updated version of the base has a redesigned post that bolts directly to the base (no u-bolts) but can be mounted in two different positions (see attached pic).
The one position (they say it is the most common position) has the base set more to the rear of the bed and the other positions moves it a few inches forward towards the cab. (Both positions are forward of the rear axle.) I haven't measured the actual distance yet but the 1st position would place the kingpin about 3-5" forward of the center of the rear axle. And the 2nd position would place the kingpin 6-8" forward of the center of the rear axle.
With the old base, the position was set. But with the new base I have an option.
The problem is that I never had the option to set the position and it worked just fine. Now that I have the opportunity to choose and am wondering what I needed to do.
So now my question is: When installing a 5th wheel hitch, how far forward of the rear axle should I endeavor to have the kingpin set at, and what distance forward of the rear axle have you all set your kingpin at?

Note: I haven't updated my profile yet but the truck I am currently working with is a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab automatic transmission with a 6.7l Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-094317_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	199048

tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

That was our second choice for a hitch. Wonderful versatility.

With the forward position of that pin and mounting the support posts to the rear you could move the hitch point well behind the axle for short bed trucks! 8” as I remember.

I bought the Anderson because of the weight.

That is a dandy hitch.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

That makes sense that it would provide you with more distance between the cab of the truck and nose of the 5th wheel.
One question though about your setup. About how far forward of the center line of your rear axle is your kingpin?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #4

“One question though about your setup. About how far forward of the center line of your rear axle is your kingpin?”

It’s cold out there and hard to measure. But my ball, like the kingpin is 3-4” to the rear of the centerline of the axle. The opening for the post in the bed is about 4” forward of the axle I think. Never measured.

My ball is 36” from the tailgate. Bed is 6’4” I think. (Anderson hitches offset the ball about 8” from the post.)

The GM and Fords are different I think.

I have no issues with truck clearance. My fiver is not heavily notched like some.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #5

Watch the video on the B&W site. It says almost every application should be in the Forward position. The exception is the Ram 3500 of a certain year. [URL][URL]https://youtu.be/lCZmc8M2HK0
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
“One question though about your setup. About how far forward of the center line of your rear axle is your kingpin?”

It’s cold out there and hard to measure. But my ball, like the kingpin is 3-4” to the rear of the centerline of the axle. The opening for the post in the bed is about 4” forward of the axle I think. Never measured.

My ball is 36” from the tailgate. Bed is 6’4” I think. (Anderson hitches offset the ball about 8” from the post.)

The GM and Fords are different I think.

I have no issues with truck clearance. My fiver is not heavily notched like some.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate you sharing.

Tonight I just finished up installing the Companion hitch. At the moment I am about 2-3” forward of my axle (which I think is good) but the new base places me about 1” higher off the bed in comparison to my old base in my former TV. My problem with that is that I cannot remember the height of my former tv in relation to the ground and the rv is in storage so I can’t get a measurement. But I think that the new-to-me truck is much taller. That said! I am not sure how it will all work out but my fear is that I will have a nose high situation with the RV because of the new truck height and 5th wheel base height increase. Worst case scenario is that I will have to cut the axles out from beneath my rv and weld in a taller square tube spacer to raise the overall height of the trailer so that I can run level.

Thank you,
Tom
Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #7

B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Watch the video on the B&W site. It says almost every application should be in the Forward position. The exception is the Ram 3500 of a certain year. [URL][URL]https://youtu.be/lCZmc8M2HK0

Thank you for sharing that video. I’ve watched it quite a number of times and it has helped me reach a decision that I need to use position no. # 1.
I think that position #2 is not common for most applications.
Again thank you,
Tom

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel