Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

B&W Companion with turnoverball issues anyone?

I've had bolts and nuts replaced. Hitch seems to have rocked dome, as there are dents in bed now. After my vacation from TN to WA, the 40 pound securing nut has snapped off in adaptor. I have documented and forwarded pics to warranty representative. Just wanted to know if I am one of the odd ones. I bought it due to its reputation, but beginning to doubt it.
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

I have the Flat Bed model of the Companion, and my hauler bed is 1/2" steel plate in the vicinity of the gooseneck well. No problems with mine. I just torqued all the assembly bolts, and when I install it torque the shank retaining bolt to 40 pounds per the instructions.

I'll be following this post, to see if others are having problems. I'll lay you better than even odds that B&W will step up and figure the problem out.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Always Learning

I've read a few threads where people have issues occasionally, but the overwhelming majority of owners seem to be satisfied. I'm in the wholly satisfied crowd.

Have you talked to B&W? What have they said about it? I know that they periodically do searches on the forums and read posts where they're mentioned.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

I have a companion, and have worked on some trucks with them that have been in wrecks with trailer attached. I think I still have some of the parts including square tube and bolt and they survived while the rest of the metal was mangled ( but still held the trailer).
Im going to bet money, after installing several, as well as owning one, that the draw down bolt was not tightened properly or the u bolts or combination of both. I personally was in a wreck with my turn-over ball gooseneck hitch, pulling a 7k lb gooseneck (empty) and the cross bars were slightly bowed but that was all. Still usable and all bolts good.
- hopefully you just had a fluke failure!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

Thanks all. I have torqued IAW instructions. I do like the simplicity of the hitch and appreciate the made in America. I am still waiting for response from B&W. I will post with update once I get a response.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Please do not take this the wrong way, but they just don't make truck beds like they used to.

It's been a while since I've owned a truck with a conventional bed, but in the years that I did own them I noticed the ever decreasing thickness of the bed material.

When I last installed an RBW hitch in a 2002 F350, I had to use metal slats in the bed recesses to prevent the raised portion of the bed from compressing/crushing.

The B&W Turnover Ball hitch is below the bed, and is made of thick material that attaches to the frame. Above this portion of the hitch is the truck bed that is made of relative flimsy material and subject to crushing when the Companion exerts a downward force.

Are the "dents" in your bed where the upper portion of the bed ripple was crushed?

If so, using some flat bars to shim between the lower portion of the bed ripple and the Companion base would prevent the bed from crushing.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Thanks George. I may try, depending on B&W response.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #8

ALCON,

B&W warranty rep, Steve took care of my issue. They stood by product and sent new u-bolts and nuts as well as new adaptor shaft etc. Hooked the 5r up and got her moved to storage today.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #9

Great to hear and hope you have no more problems. BTW, I've pulled my camper about 16,000 miles so far without any problems with the B&W.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoore View Post
ALCON,

B&W warranty rep, Steve took care of my issue. They stood by product and sent new u-bolts and nuts as well as new adaptor shaft etc. Hooked the 5r up and got her moved to storage today.
Good to hear. Post again after a tow or two.

btw, what is "ALCON"?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

"All concerned". Towed it to storage with no problems. Will have to see on next real trip.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #12

Are you using a Revolution pin box?
The reason I was asking is I just bought a 5er and looking to purchase a hitch
I have a F350 short bed so I would be utilizing the Reese Revolution that comes with the trailer
I have been reading that the companion is not compatible when using the Revolution unlocked

Thanks
Jason

2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
thetiler is offline   Reply With Quote