Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

B&W hitch

Okay, couldn't find info I wanted by searching, so:
I was sold on B&Ws companion hitch, til I saw video on u-tube. Do I have to tighten u-bolts and retorque set pin every time I remove it from truck bed? And if so, is there another comparable hitch out there? I need the clean bed, and I'm sure turnover hitch will be a good item at trade in time, but I thought removal would be easier.
Remember, I'm new to fifth wheels!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #2

I own it, and it's not a hard thing to do. I say that, but I don't take it out on a regular basis, but to answer your question, yes you have to do that process every time.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Yes you do have to loosen u bolts and loosen torque bolt or vice versa every time you install or remove it. If not it would not be tight enough against latch pin. At least that is the way I understand the instructions and the way I do mine. I Do not know what is comparable model.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

I own the hitch and yes, you need to re-torque it every time you take it out. When it is re-installed, you need to torque the draw down bolt to 40 Ft lbs and then tighten the U-bolts to 80 Ft lbs. The newest version of the hitch does away with the u-bolts and has a new post to anchor it with. As far as the B&W hitch, as far as i am concerned, there is no better hitch on the market and they have the BEST customer service department you can imagine. Plus, the absolute best part it that there hitches are 100% Made in the USA with American Steel.

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

All of the above EXCEPT that the new generation of Companion hitch doesn't require the u-bolts any more.

The torquing it is easy- you have to tighten the bolts anyway, it's simple to use a torque wrench.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

As mentioned above, the newer version of the Companion does not use the "U" bolts.

#1 If you recently purchased the hitch I would contact the dealer and tell them that you want the latest version.

#2 You can contact B&W and see if the newer post can be used with the original version of the Companion.

I have the "Flat Bed" version, which did not use the "U" bolts, but required a reinforced area where the hitch sits in the bad.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Retired CSM

I have the B&W hitch, and no torque is required. There are no bolts to loosen when switching back and forth between 5th wheel and goose neck. Mine is attached to a square rod that comes out with the hitch. Then I just drop in the ball for the goose neck and release the locking pin. Maybe the second pin that is attached was an add on from the dealer.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyMccloud View Post
I have the B&W hitch, and no torque is required. There are no bolts to loosen when switching back and forth between 5th wheel and goose neck. Mine is attached to a square rod that comes out with the hitch. Then I just drop in the ball for the goose neck and release the locking pin. Maybe the second pin that is attached was an add on from the dealer.

Woody, when did you get your hitch? It sounds like you have the new Companion version.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Retired CSM

I got my hitch last year. . Not sure if it is a newer version or not. I have switch it back and forth couple of times, and I like how easy it was.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #10

I love this forum!!!!!

Ok! I'm sold! Haven't purchased yet, but depending on what my dealer says about my trade-in, I'll be installing this wknd . Actually may have found a second hand turnover from a buddies converted race truck! I can't believe the response time on this forum, and tho I'm usually hesitant(hardheaded) about taking advice, I have confidence in the answers I've read here ! Thank you , and maybe I'll be able to help someone out somehow/way!!

Tags
hitch