Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #21

Used the companion when we had our fifth wheel and didn't have any troubles with clnking or the shortbed plus ive got stacks so takes up even more room there. Had to watch the stacks when I was backing in but still could go to about 75* or so. Loved it but just got rid on the 5ver and when TT.
ehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #22

So you guys are using the b and w companion in your short bed trucks! I was told I had to have a slider for my short bed dodge.
bignugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #23

Yes the companion does move too much in my opinion. I just went to the local steel yard and bought a 1 1/2 x 3/4 piece of barstock to add to the rear turnover ball crossmember so it will be stiffer. The engineer I have been dealing with told me about someone he was working with about a year ago...must have been you. Anyway it seems, from reading a few of the lasts posts here, that withthe companion uprights in the most rearward and highest position is what is giving the companion enough leverage to flex the turnover ball hitch and even this "prototype" version I have is just not stiff enough. I think if two more holes were drilled in the rear most skid portions (and through the bed) of the companion and bolted to an additional crossmember, it would alleviate the problem. But that would defeat the purpose of having an easily removeable hitch and a clean bed. I have mine setup so I can turn sharper because I camp/hunt and am often way out in the boonies. I may need to try and "jockey" the toyhauler to get it just right. I think I am headed toward replacing the companion with a superglide so I don't hit the cab but I am not sure at this point. I have to figure it out soon because I am about to go on a 3000 mile round trip and absolutely will not settle for a hitch "jerking" me around....lol. I am still waiting to hear from the engineer as of my last update to him.
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #24

Mine is a superduty but like I said shortbox and 6" stacks so I lose probably another 8-10" of room on top of it. I just had to be careful backing up.
ehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #25

I have a bed mat in the bed of the truck with the B&W mounted on top. So, no rubbing occurring.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Gary0848
Using gooseneck adapter for 5th wheel.

I used a B&W gooseneck adapter in my F350 for 10 years with no problem ever. I pulled a 10,000+ rib coast to coast and north to south borders and it towed with no problems.
Gary0848 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel