Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
jlf

Back up camera

Good morning everyone. Question, has anyone every used a backup camera on their fifth wheel? Has anyone installed the cameras themselves? I want to give my hubby a back up camera for Christmas. Camping world has one on sale for $699.00. Don't know the installation yet. Since our RV is at Lazy days for routine end of warranty check up, I asked them for a estimate. They gave me the price for the camera at $1200. And labor from 12 hours to 20 hours. So another 1440 plus coming to a whopping $2600.00! I just think this is a little overboard. Just a side note we took our RV to Lazy Days on Aug 3. and still not completed check up. Thanks for any help

Old 09-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

I am also interested in installing a back-up camera on my 5th wheel, the best system for the money that I have been able to find is on costco.com for $260.00. If you have a friend that is a bit handy it can be installed in a couple of hours.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

JLF,
I don't know what they are trying to sell you but "Voyager" makes a very nice wireless backup camera (color and sound) that sells at most RV dealers for about $700-800. Installation of the camera should take no more than 1 hour.
The camera is mounted just below your rear center running light on the camper and is powered by that same light. The monitor sits or mounts in the cab of your truck and is powered by one of your 12v outlets. The picture is very clear with NO static. Go with the Voyager and you will be very happy. Your husband will probably be able to install it himself.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #4

riversedge, I tried at first going "on the cheap" with a wireless no name system. It did not work most of the time. Tried boosters moving the antenna closer but nothing worked and it was finally sent to the trash. The Voyager system is the way to go. I guess that is why most all RV dealers stock/sell them. Good luck with whatever you get.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

baysalr - the system from costco is not wireless, it has all the cables and connectors. A good wireless system would be great to have if the reception is good.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

jlf: you don't say what 5er you have. A number of the FR brands have started coming with the pre-wired, pre-installed mount for the Furrion backup camera. That's about $400 ordered through FR parts and would take about 5 minutes to install.

Others have had good luck with the Voyager mentioned previously and lots of other eBay deals.

Myself, I needed a new GPS anyway so bought the Garmin RV760LMT with the BC-20 backup camera. The Garmin camera installed in the Furrion mount with few modifications but took me about 2 hours.

Use the search box above and search on 'wireless camera' or 'backup camera' and you'll find my report plus hours more reading - its a frequent topic.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera