Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #21

I tried the i Ball, wouldnt work on GMC. There wasn't any way to shut off bluetooth. Went to RVS-8311, Rear View Safety from Amazon This one works fine from the back of the TT to the dash in the truck. I believe it has IR for at night as well.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
This is what we use - they left over from our TT days. With that fold cover you couldn't see the 5th wheel hitch. Held in place with magnets. Bought them from Camping World.

These work well if you have perfectly flat surfaces on the tow vehicle and the trailer. They didn't work for my application because the only place on the trailer was the crown part of the hitch on the trailer. Very difficult to keep upright. These have to be very close to the ball and very far forward on the trailer. It appears that they fit the bill on your 5er.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #23

We bit the bullet and installed a Boyo license plate camera and in-dash head unit. The Boyo has 175 degree viewing area and serves us as a safety feature for everyday backing. It's amazing what that camera catches when backing out of a parking lot stall. For instance, a van is parked next to you and you are complete blind trying to back out. If your rear bumper is out as far as the van bumper, you can see vehicles and pedestrians approaching in what was a blind spot. Backing into a pedestrian or another vehicle does not make your day. As for aligning with the hitch, the adjustable camera is set to catch the top of the ball. Not what you want to see by your post, but it is something to consider.

What may be of interest is when backing up to the hitch, everything is black on the trailer frame. It is difficult to see exactly where the socket is from any distance. What I have done with the four trailers we use is to paint the front half of the hitch socket on the trailer international orange (or any bright contrasting color). When backing, the contrasting color is easier to see with the back up camera. This works pretty well in limited light as well. Since doing this, it is very easy to exactly line up.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #24
I go RV'ing not Camping

I have used the I Ball for a couple years now....works great.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
These work well if you have perfectly flat surfaces on the tow vehicle and the trailer. They didn't work for my application because the only place on the trailer was the crown part of the hitch on the trailer. Very difficult to keep upright. These have to be very close to the ball and very far forward on the trailer. It appears that they fit the bill on your 5er.
These are made to use on TT not not made to use with a 5er. You put one them on top of ball on your truck and other one on top of TT hitch. You backup and bring the poles together and since they held in place by magnets I would backup till the one on the ball tips forward. They will stand up since they have magnets on them. This is a lot easier and doesn't cost as much as cameras that distort you perception of the ball and hitch. Easy to Use!!!

Here is a picture of how to use the poles..

Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Qworks HR01D - Trailer Towing Accessories - Camping World
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
StlClay

Check out Tadi Bros on the web. Great video products for your needs and better pricing than CW or even Amazon

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
These are made to use on TT not not made to use with a 5er. You put one them on top of ball on your truck and other one on top of TT hitch. You backup and bring the poles together and since they held in place by magnets I would backup till the one on the ball tips forward. They will stand up since they have magnets on them. This is a lot easier and doesn't cost as much as cameras that distort you perception of the ball and hitch. Easy to Use!!!

Here is a picture of how to use the poles..

Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - Qworks HR01D - Trailer Towing Accessories - Camping World
Harbor Freight has similar poles for WAY less than CW.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We bought them while visiting a CW store few years ago. They are so easy my wife would jump in the truck and hook up the TT by herself while I was rolling up the hoses and putting away stuff in the storage compartments.

When I had my boat back in the 80's we made a couple of them using the poles that kids put on the back to their bikes some hot glue and magnet...
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Harbor Freight set was what I tried. The magnets were weak as were the extending uprights. They didn't hold up. Stronger magnets and a one-piece shaft may have made the difference.

We went to the license plate camera for its many safety advantages in everyday use as-well-as connecting to a trailer. The advantage of the License plate camera is that you can still get a rear view picture with the tail gate down-and, you know when the tail gate is down. It seems that people in parking lots lose their common sense. They will see someone backing out of a stall and continue walking/driving because "they have the right-of-way". And they do, provided that the person backing up can see them. We have the camera so we can. Rear view mirrors use in parking stalls is very limited. We also use after market back up sensors. Both are worth their salt.

By manufacturer, some vehicles come standard with back up cameras and back up sensors. It is optional with others. I believe they will become mandatory in coming model years.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #30

I use the ones from Harbor Freight to hookup to my 5er(goose neck) and the Peak camera on the rear of the camper to hook up n keep an eye on my boat.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #31

I installed a permanent camera (in the rear license plate holder) hardwired to my GPS display (Rand McNally/Good Sam). It works great for my TT and utility trailers. A little icon pops up on the display when I back up. If I want to see what's behind me I touch the icon and there it is. I used to have a WiFi model with dedicated display. Got tired of that.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #32

it works fine..but!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
Need a new inexpensive back up camera to hitch trailer when doing it alone. Anyone have experience or comments about the "Rampage 7710 Portable WiFi Back-Up Camera" that works with a tablet or Android Phone?
I borrowed a friends Rampage 7710 and tried it out.. Although the instructions say it will work with my android HTC One M7 phone..the picture hangs up (freezes and stutters) and is un-usable... HOWEVER when I tried it with my Samsung 4 10.1 pad..the picture is great, clear, never freezes and is just what I was looking for.. the portability of the Rampage might lend it to other uses when camping such as watching wildlife when they enter an empty (without humans) camp sight..
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, hitch, trailer