Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #1

Backing 5th wheel on incline

I'm in the early stages of research in purchasing a new 5th wheel. I've owned several TT but I'm new to the 5th wheel market. I have many questions but will start with this one because if I can't park the unit in my driveway none of the other concerns will mater.

When backing the unit into my driveway I am forced to make about a 45 degree turn while going from a flat street to a fairly steep inclined driveway that levels off at the top.

My concerned is that the 5th wheel will hit the bed rails when the unit is turned and inclined. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The TV is a 2012 f250 crew cab short bed.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto4 View Post
I'm in the early stages of research in purchasing a new 5th wheel. I've owned several TT but I'm new to the 5th wheel market. I have many questions but will start with this one because if I can't park the unit in my driveway none of the other concerns will mater.

When backing the unit into my driveway I am forced to make about a 45 degree turn while going from a flat street to a fairly steep inclined driveway that levels off at the top.

My concerned is that the 5th wheel will hit the bed rails when the unit is turned and inclined. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The TV is a 2012 f250 crew cab short bed.
Going up usually isn't as much of a concern as it would be if your drive went down suddenly from a flat surface.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #3

Backing a fifth wheel is different in general because of the pivot point, I was like you went from a TT to FW and realized the difference. Took me a few trys to get it right now I have no problem. Check out some of the youtube videos about backing a semi same concept, it helped me. As far as the issue with the incline and the 45 degree turn, the 45 degree depending on the type of FW you get you might want to consider a slider hitch to ensure you do not have an issue. Most newer FW have cut corners and if you have at least a 6.5 bed in the truck you should not have a problem either way. As far has the incline when you say fairly steep how steep are you talk about? I have backed up some fairly steep grades without an issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

I'm not concerned about maneuvering the 5th wheel. I'm worried about clearance issues with the bed rails. According to the truck computer my driveway has a 6 degree incline. Once the unit is parked it is level but the truck will still be on the incline. So that means when leaving my driveway I will be going from level to incline back to level once I hit the street with a turn at the bottom. With the 5th wheel being level and the truck on an incline will this also cause an issue with hooking up and un hooking from the 5th wheel?
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I just go a 5er this year and the concern I have is going in and out our cottage property. It's a good drop off the road and my concern is the space between the box and the bottom of the 5er. I have 8"clearance when I'm parked level. But as I'm turning & going down or up the space get pretty tight. That is where problems could come into play.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

I understand your concern for sure Auto4. The only real way to see what the clearances will be is to find someone in your area (or the dealer if they want to sell you a FW) and ask them to come back up your driveway. Of course it will not be exactly the same as what your F250 and whatever FW you end up with, but it will give you a better idea than you have now. With my FW and shortbed TV, I'm always watching when turning on inclines to insure the corner of the FW does not take out the bed rail or my low profile toolbox. I had a slider hitch on my previous Ram TV...and never used it. So, I did not put a slider in my Dmax. I haven't had an issue yet. Backing, turning, and inclines with my FW are always methodical and slow events for me. It only takes lack of of focus for one second to really mess up.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote