Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #61
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
You all are a big help. Going to try and ask another question that is hard to explain so hope you can understand.

Pulling up to the site, the spot will be on your left. 1. Is it best to be on the left side of street approach, or right side before you back in? 2. At what Point do you stop to start backing? Back of rig just past site, 5' past site, right on site, or what? Note that most of the time there are trailers and trucks parked on opposite side of street giving little room to turn my extended long bed dually?

I'm very sorry I sound so dumb but I can back a bumper pull with my eyes closed. In fact I own a business with six trailers. This fifth wheel stuff is flat out kicking my tail.
1. Left side.
The back end of your truck is going to have to go towards the right side of the street to begin turning your rig. If you are already on the right side you'll run out of room for the truck to swing around when following through the turn. You'll also not want to be too close to the left that the steer wheels of the truck hit the curb or run off the road when you begin your turn.

2. I usually pull the wheels of the trailer several feet past the entrance to the site/parking spot. It takes a few feet of movement of the truck for it to begin turning the trailer. Envision where the wheels of the trailer are going to track and aim for that. Each to rig is going to back slightly different because of wheelbase length, turning radius, pin placement. etc. You are going to have to find your sweet spot.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #62

You always want the site to be on your left. This allows for better visbilty in that you can actually stick your head out the window and watch what the trailer is doing. You can't always do that everywhere so having a spotter and large towing mirrors come in handy for right (blind-side) backing.

I find that the distance you pull past the site is somewhat proportional to the distance the trailer wheels are from the rear bumper. I have found on the 2 TTs I have owned that using that measurement as a key for pulling past the driveway is a good rule of thumb. It also allows for a more gentle approach backing in, assuming the road is wide enough and there are no obstacles.

Remember to try the swoop method. When the rear of the trailer is lined up with the furthest edge of the driveway or site, steer your tow vehicle away from the site as you pull forward the last few feet. This will turn the rear of the TT into a gentle angle into the site and will also leave the TV wheels turned in the proper direction for backing.

Lastly, don't hesitate to ask any campers who park their TVs close to the road to temporarily move. More often than not they'll offer before you have a chance to ask. It's also good to extend that courtesy in return to!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #63

Quote:
You all are a big help. Going to try and ask another question that is hard to explain so hope you can understand.

Pulling up to the site, the spot will be on your left. 1. Is it best to be on the left side of street approach, or right side before you back in? 2. At what Point do you stop to start backing? Back of rig just past site, 5' past site, right on site, or what? Note that most of the time there are trailers and trucks parked on opposite side of street giving little room to turn my extended long bed dually?

I'm very sorry I sound so dumb but I can back a bumper pull with my eyes closed. In fact I own a business with six trailers. This fifth wheel stuff is flat out kicking my tail.

I back up my trailer which is 37' long with a Ram Mega Cab. I always pull to the opposite (left hand) side of the street to back-up. My DW is outside spotting the rear corner of the trailer, driver side. We place the trailer about 5 to 6 Ft from the corner where the site opens up to the road. I start to turn the wheel immediately to start the trailer to turn into the site. She is always in my rear view mirror so I can she her hand signals if I can't she her I stop until she is in my mirror again. She is my spotter we have worked out over the years hand signals and where she needs to stand. It may take a couple of attempts to get into the site when the roadway is narrow but it just takes time. I have been known to reposition the trailer slightly forward of our normal starting point to get in but we do get the trailer in. I have cut across the grass to get into the site so long as I am on the gravel/concert pad when we are done. It just takes a lot of practice, practice and practice.

If I need to ask people to move their truck/car I will, most are understanding and will move their vehicles to allow me to get into our site.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #64

Thank you all for the tips. This has helped me understand the approach, and my spotter.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #65

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_101142.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	141630
Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #66

Just got here and dropped this one in on the first try. Thank you all.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #67
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Just got here and dropped this one in on the first try. Thank you all.
Super!
And it typically gets better the more you do it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #68

Quote:

There is no such thing as a dumb question when you are attempting to learn something. What I like to do, if there is room as I approach my back in spot which I have planned to be on the left, if traffic allows I move over into the left lane, having my trailer wheels just past my parking area I have my truck in my proper lane that way you have your trailer at an angle before you ever start to back up, keep an eye on your trailer wheels and proceed backwards always mindful of your back bumper; but it is the wheels that you are maneuvering, if you have to pull up a dozen times in order to get your trailer exactly where you want it think nothing of it. The reason for having your target area on your left is your should never lose sight of your trailer or parking spot. There will be times you must back in from the right and that's when you need a helper and if you do not have one stop get out and look things over, much better than running into something. Hope this helps. have a nice day.
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #69

One of the wonderful aspects of RVing is the help you can get from fellow RVers. A couple of moths ago my wife and I were both ill and late getting into our campground. It was a holiday season and although I always try to find a pull-thru, none were to be had. We arrived at the campground well after dark and it was a campground we hadn't been to before. Tight roadway and average size back-in site, but no street lights. After a few failed attempts, the guys at the neighboring sites positioned their cars with headlights on so I could see where we were backing, and they both provided directions. With that help, it was a piece of cake.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #70
Just as confused as you

TKPINSC, no DW did not sign up as a member here. She thinks I'm nuts for reading the posts on here. Every time I see a mod that looks good on the forums and tell her about it she says your not doing that. I even had to explain with pictures as to why we needed to get some Eternabond for the roof. I told her fine, don't start complaining when she finds a leak. I just want to do a little preventive maintenance before it becomes a problem.

Springerdad, tell her all you want, you're not getting a penny from me! Well, maybe 50 cents, but not a penny more.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
TKPINSC, no DW did not sign up as a member here. She thinks I'm nuts for reading the posts on here. Every time I see a mod that looks good on the forums and tell her about it she says your not doing that. I even had to explain with pictures as to why we needed to get some Eternabond for the roof. I told her fine, don't start complaining when she finds a leak. I just want to do a little preventive maintenance before it becomes a problem.

Springerdad, tell her all you want, you're not getting a penny from me! Well, maybe 50 cents, but not a penny more.
Gimme a dollar and I'll keep my mouth shut.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Gimme a dollar and I'll keep my mouth shut.
Take an IOU?
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobutt View Post
Take an IOU?
Sure! Why not.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, forest river, wheel