Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

Backing Up and Stress on Tow Bars

We are newbies (3 months now) owning a Rockwood Mini Lite. We are concerned backing up into our tight storage space that we are turning too tight, as the axles squeal and the tow bars seem to be turning too tight (jackknifing).

Is it possible to be turning too tight on an angle?
tmlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

Unhook the bars
Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVtx View Post
Unhook the bars
X2, unhook while backing into your storage site.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

What is your WDH? I would unhook before backing as well. I have to parallel park the trailer in storage ending at a very tight angle frequently. I have to unhook the bars before starting otherwise I cannot get in there to unhook them.

Note that I also had to lengthen the trailer safety chains because the WDH was so far out and the safety chains could catch on it and pop. Before I made them longer I would disconnect them as well. Now I don't need to remove the safety chains.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Sham183

Just unhook the bars. You don’t need them for backing up or slow drives in the lot of your storage area. You will be light in the front end but you should still be able to control the vehicle when backing. Take it slow and easy and you will be fine.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Thank you all. We were worried about taking the bars off, but we will try it next time. Our trailer is small just 22' with the hitch, but the space and area around it is ridiculously small.

I have no idea the WDH
Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

The bars raise and stabilize the back end of the truck, plant the front wheels and reduce sway in the wind on the hiway
Old 10-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVtx View Post
The bars raise and stabilize the back end of the truck, plant the front wheels and reduce sway in the wind on the hiway
This leads me to another question. We actually have an SUV and when the dealership calibrated (or whatever it is called) the hitch and bars the SUV was very heavy. It was packed to the limit with everything we were going to put in the trailer. Our best rides with minimal sway and up and down bouncing seems to happen the more we have in the SUV. Is it because they did their calibrating when the SUV was stuffed or just coincidence?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

It is adjustable yes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlogo View Post
Thank you all. We were worried about taking the bars off, but we will try it next time. Our trailer is small just 22' with the hitch, but the space and area around it is ridiculously small.

I have no idea the WDH
You mentioned the space is ridiculously small. I don't need one but some on this forum have a Trailer Valet XL. You can do a search on this site to get their opinions.

Here's what it looks like:
https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
You mentioned the space is ridiculously small. I don't need one but some on this forum have a Trailer Valet XL. You can do a search on this site to get their opinions.

Here's what it looks like:
https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/
We actually have the Trailer Valet. It is a life saver, but we have been trying to get the trailer in a better line to use the Trailer Valet as there is a slight incline to put it into the space.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

There are a lot of good discussions on the Forum re: WDS, it does sound to me like the set up needs to be checked w/o a full load in the tow vehicle, we just got a Wolf PUP and the dealer set it up with 4 links hanging which was 2 more than we did with a much heaver 24 ft Sportsman years ago. I was very surprised when I saw how tight they had it but having taken it on the road there is quite a difference, little or no bounce. If you are unsure have a reputable hitch installer look at your rig. Dealers sometimes aren't the best trained.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbin View Post
There are a lot of good discussions on the Forum re: WDS, it does sound to me like the set up needs to be checked w/o a full load in the tow vehicle, we just got a Wolf PUP and the dealer set it up with 4 links hanging which was 2 more than we did with a much heaver 24 ft Sportsman years ago. I was very surprised when I saw how tight they had it but having taken it on the road there is quite a difference, little or no bounce. If you are unsure have a reputable hitch installer look at your rig. Dealers sometimes aren't the best trained.
That's a great idea. I don't think our dealership is the best, but we know a hitch guy.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #14

Do be aware that you can also jackknife and have the trailer damage the SUV fender. Watch closely!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote