Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Backing up with Husky Centerline Sway Bars???

We just purchased a new Cruiselite 171rbxl and had Centerline sway bars put on. When we picked up the new RV the service person put the fear of god in us about needing to take the sway bars off when backing up. Later we thought, was he talking about taking them off when backing into a camp site to avoid sharp turns OR did he mean anytime we back up? That seems absurd, that we cannot make simple back ups without taking them off. Help!
Mpraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

The salesperson doesn’t know what they’re talking about. You can backup with that hitch just fine.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The salesperson doesn’t know what they’re talking about. You can backup with that hitch just fine.
+1

We've jackknifed ours a couple times without incident.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

What model is the hitch? It really has more to do with the type of sway control. The cheaper Husky hitches will likely have a separate sway control that needs to be disengaged before backing. The Husky TS does not need to be adjusted before backing. I do it all the time.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
What model is the hitch? It really has more to do with the type of sway control. The cheaper Husky hitches will likely have a separate sway control that needs to be disengaged before backing. The Husky TS does not need to be adjusted before backing. I do it all the time.

None of the Centerline hitches use a friction bar. The OP specifically said it’s a Centerline.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

Yes, it’s a Centerline TS. Thanks so much for your replies. I can rest easier now!
Mpraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpraph View Post
Yes, it’s a Centerline TS. Thanks so much for your replies. I can rest easier now!
You can rest easy, I have the hitch and no need to take it off when doing any backing.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #8

Same as all the other replies -- no issue backing up with the Centerline TS with the anti-sway / weight distribution bars fully engaged.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

I usually remove my Centerlines before reaching my site to save time. I'll pull off in a parking area in the campground before or after filling with fresh water. If the nose of my truck is stopping through traffic at the site, I want to get unhooked as fast as possible and having the bars off helps a lot!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #10

Have used the Centerline TS WDH for 2 years and lots of miles/weeks/sites with no trouble at all backing up. The only point not yet mentioned is probably true with any other system. Turning sharply with the trailer at a different slant (side-to-side, not forward-back) to the TV puts a huge strain on the bars. I was turning around one time on very uneven ground and had the bar on one side pop out, bending the L-shaped retainer. Damage probably could have been much worse but the only probably was the slight bend in the retainer (which I replaced after we got home). Better to take the bars off when doing similar. Otherwise, no trouble, and excellent performance.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

ReTired1stTimer

we too have the CruiseLite 171rbxl model, having purchased it last year. we opted for the Fastway e2 wd hitch. we have not had any problems backing up, going to several hitch dealers and settling on...…...Camping World to purchase it at a sale price and reduced installation price since we bought it there. they were quite throrough with installation and did it in a timely manner. hope you will enjoy your 171rbxl model as much as I and my DW have had. it is the perfect size for us two, with the full bath being the selling point for the DW. we did have to settle o a 19 inch tv on the back wall by the bathroom door as if we did have a larger 32 inch set, we could not close the bathroom door with ONLY 1 stud in the wall for the TV swingarm.!!!!!! but it works for us. that is the only location to put a TV set because of the location of the cable inputs inside the side cabinet at the back. its a little tricky, but we managed. we have only had a few minor problems overall, but nothing out of our realm to fix. stay close to this forum and you will learn many, many things on how to fix or repair the littleist of things that I have learned. this is our first camper, ever, hoping we wont need to upgrade. but don't NEVER say NEVER. hahahaha enjoy it, CONGRATS
Old 02-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
(o˘◡˘o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
Turning sharply with the trailer at a different slant (side-to-side, not forward-back) to the TV puts a huge strain on the bars. I was turning around one time on very uneven ground and had the bar on one side pop out, bending the L-shaped retainer.
If your bar came out while turning sharp check your frame bracket distance from the coupler. It should be 28.5" - 30.5" center to center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky Centerline TS Bracket Distance.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	197600  
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #13
Tamarack Travels

The guy who delivered my TT to me did the same thing, taking off sway bars before backing up. I err on the side of caution and remove them.
T508537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #14

I’m sure he meant backing into a spot. Not just backing up straight.
I was told the sway bar can snap, if the angle was contorted.
We almost always take the sway bar off, when we’re in line at the campground, or right after we go through the gate, just so we don’t forget.
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #15

This spot involved some maneuvering to back into, with the truck ending nose down and leaning to the driver's side. No problem backing up with the WD bars engaged, or unhitching at the site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Cacapon Camping Site_LI.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	197637  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
Site Team

The anti sway bar can be put in a bind when backing and turning, which can collapse it to the point that it pops the small ball off of the hitch or the frame.
That's probably what he he was alluding to.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
The anti sway bar can be put in a bind when backing and turning, which can collapse it to the point that it pops the small ball off of the hitch or the frame.
That's probably what he he was alluding to.
Half of these replies are pertaining to weight distribution hitch with sway bars that are not the centerline TS. You should have no problem whatsoever backing up. the only thing to keep in mind is once you have come to rest is that your tow vehicle and your trailer are straight. It makes it much easier to remove the bars. if you are going to come to rest at a sharp angle it is easier to remove the bars first. I have been using our trailer for three years with no problems.
rmanduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #18

I don’t usually pile on when the answers are already there but I wanted to because I have the exact same hitch for about a year. I have zero issues backing up with it. Someone mentioned about one of the bars popping out and someone else said to check the measurements. That would be very true. I’ve had my hitch at almost a 90% angle and it still performed beautiful. No problems. If you’re still skeptical call or email the Husky tech support themselves. I’ve emailed them a couple times in the past when I reset up mine. They are very quick to answer.
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway