Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Backing up with Reese WDH

We are used to a friction sway bar and we remove or loosen it when we back up. We are changing to a Reese Straight Line system; is it ok to back up with it on or do we have to remove/loosen/readjust, etc. it when we back up? Thank you.
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

You can leave the dual cams on when backing up. Alot of people disconnect them prior to parking as they make quite a lot of noise but it is not required.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #3

I do not disconnect any part of my WD system while backing up. This is something to think about. If you notice your receiver has two weight ratings, one with weight distribution and on with out. Basically when you take your spring bars off to back you are now over loading your receiver. It's on thing to seat idle while completing your hitch hook-up but another to move all that weight with out the spring bars on and connected.
I spoke to Chris at Reese about this a few years ago and ask him if damage could occur to the receiver by removing the spring bar and he said that I was the first person to have ever ask that question, after thinking a moment he said it would make sense that if you do take the bars off then you are at the lower rating of the receiver, so at that point anything is possible. Chris said that there WD System does not require removal of the spring bars to maneuver the camper in any direction. forwards or backwards.
As far as the noise, they are supposed to make noise, if they don't then they need to be check. It's metal to metal contact and need to be tight and DO NOT grease the spring bars. form what I understand you can use a dry lubricant.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
Site Team

Leave it and back up!
Don't loosen anything until you are parked and ready to un-hitch!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #5

Thank you all. My husband will be glad to know this information!
Island Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

For what it's worth, I was told by my dealer to remove the friction sway bar prior to backing up. He said it could be damaged if I did not. The WD spring arms should remain in place.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Tow View Post
For what it's worth, I was told by my dealer to remove the friction sway bar prior to backing up. He said it could be damaged if I did not. The WD spring arms should remain in place.
I had the exact same advise from two different dealers.
mbentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Tow View Post
That is correct, but the question is about the Reese Straight Line WD set-up; which uses NO friction anti-sway bar.

The OP statment: We are used to a friction sway bar and we remove or loosen it when we back up.

The OP question: We are changing to a Reese Straight Line system; is it ok to back up with it on or do we have to remove/loosen/readjust, etc. it when we back up?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
That is correct, but the question is about the Reese Straight Line WD set-up; which uses NO friction anti-sway bar.

The OP statment: We are used to a friction sway bar and we remove or loosen it when we back up.

The OP question: We are changing to a Reese Straight Line system; is it ok to back up with it on or do we have to remove/loosen/readjust, etc. it when we back up?
milzat, thanks for pointing out the differents between the two, some may think it's all the same.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #10

milzat, I also would like to thank you for clarifying that. I did not mean to mislead anyone with my 2 cents. It just seemed that there were mixed opinions about use of the friction sway bars and the WD spring bars. I find these forums very helpful and informative and the more input the better. Thanks again.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Thanks,
My reply was for clarification purposes only.

I hope you all enjoy these forums.

Note: No animals were harmed in this process.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote