Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #1

backing up with wd hitch and sway control

I've heard that you can't back up with sway controllers. Is this true? Is it just friction style or dual cam aswell. It seems every dealer I talk to tells me something different.. I'm getting the feeling non of them have a clue, they just want to sell me what they stock, and dont care about me getting the "best" setup. Some of these guys haven't even heard of the cam style, and they sell trailers. Any insight is appreciated.
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #2

I have the Blue Ox WDH and have no problem backing up. When I was researching hitches, all the ones I was looking at were able to go in reverse.
flyingsquirl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #3

I did have a EAZ-LIFT with friction sway control, no problems backing up with the sway control attached. I now have a Dual Cam, much better setup, no problems backing up with the bars attached.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #4

I was always told to remove the friction anti-sway when backing up and when making sharp turns. I now have an equil-i-zer which has built in anti-sway and there is nothing to remove.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #5

i was told the same thing remove the anti sway bar before backing up .The WD bars are ok to leave on but at least take the tension off the sway bar first. I guess it cant hurt to remove it better than trashing the anti sway bar just in case
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
i was told the same thing remove the anti sway bar before backing up .The WD bars are ok to leave on but at least take the tension off the sway bar first. I guess it cant hurt to remove it better than trashing the anti sway bar just in case
This is also what I was told and have always done.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEDJED View Post
I've heard that you can't back up with sway controllers. Is this true? Is it just friction style or dual cam aswell. It seems every dealer I talk to tells me something different.. I'm getting the feeling non of them have a clue, they just want to sell me what they stock, and dont care about me getting the "best" setup. Some of these guys haven't even heard of the cam style, and they sell trailers. Any insight is appreciated.
You are correct, most of the time the dealer is just looking to sell what they can make money on, sad but true. The dealership where we got our TT set me up with a regular WDH and a single sway bar, I never felt confortable or safe towing this big TT. It is recomended that you remove that sway bar when backing up into tight places. Now we have an Equal-i-zer hitch, I love that thing, pretty easy to set up. Best money I've spent so far when it comes to confort and safety when towing. You should check them out http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Team

every setup with a friction bar i've seen required you to disconnect it before backing up. if you didn't have to turn much you could get away without doing that.

this is why i bought an Equal-i-zer. 4-point sway control without having to disconnect anything. you set it up and forget it. i've had to go nearly 90 degrees backing up without
any problems.
and there's no chains to deal with.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #9

thanks for the replies. It looks like I'm going to go with the Reese Straight Line setup, and from your responses I wont worry about taking it off to back up, unless I have to knife her into a tight spot.
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

No need to change anything when backing with Dual Cam Reese.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #11

Looked at my old install instructions for my friction sway control and it states:
"If you can hit the sway control while in a jackknifed position, you must remove the sway control while backing."

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #12

I have a Hensley Arrow, although horribly expensive, I can back in at almost a 90 degree angle.
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #13

I have the Equalizer hitch as well, only WD hitch I have ever used. My only complaint is that it seems to be VERY loud - lots of creaking & moaning noises when I make a turn or back up. It is brand new - only pulled with it twice. I will try greasing it, assumed the dealer greased it before we left after they set it up. Anyone else having this issue? Or is it normal?
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I understand that the Equalizer creaks, moans, and pops just like my Reese Dual Cam. It is an attention getter at the campgrounds

Just consider it as making a grand entrance.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Reese Dual Cam and the instructions are to NEVER grease it. It works on Friction, and the grease will eliminate the friction, therefore reduce or eliminate it's ability to function properly. Reese says you may use a little Vaseline on the cams. Tried it and it still pops and moans. Not sure about the Equalizer, but check before greasing or you may render your sway control useless.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I have a Reese Dual Cam and the instructions are to NEVER grease it. It works on Friction, and the grease will eliminate the friction, therefore reduce or eliminate it's ability to function properly. Reese says you may use a little Vaseline on the cams. Tried it and it still pops and moans. Not sure about the Equalizer, but check before greasing or you may render your sway control useless.
I too use Vaseline on the cams, and it seems to quiet things down for awhile, but I guess once the metal to metal forces the vaseline out, it gets noisy again.

I would think that using any kind of lubricant on a Equalizer system would be a no-no, as the system using friction pads to control sway.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
Site Team

You actually can grease the Equal-i-zer. There are instructions for doing it on the website. I grease the L brackets on mine and it makes it much quieter. I'm sure it reduces the sway contol a bit but I haven't noticed it any.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #18

It certainly will make a grand entrance that is for sure - we were pulling it around the neighborhood Saturday and really turned some heads with the noise. Some of the moaning noises remind me of me after eating at Taco Bell! I think I will grease it some, my 210 is small enough that I can probably give up a little sway control if it comes to that.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #19

I had a easi- lift before and sold it with the old trailer. I broke a hitch knob off when I forgot to disconnect it when backing up. I now have a equalizer 4 way with my new trailer and don't have to bother with anything, just drive.
jiffy1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #20

I have the Equalizer as well. I am a newbie and have not towed with any other type of WD hitch. The dealer was adamant about how much better it was over traditional WD hitches and would not sell anything else. I think I paid too much for it, but they took care of all the setup. It is VERY loud when making turns - I am going to try to grease it (have only used it twice) to see if that helps before using it again.

I have found that you have to basically have the TV and TT in a straight line to get the bars off when un-hooking. If not lined up, one of the bars will not come out (the "inside" bar). Are other WD hitches this way?