Old 11-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Backup Camera for my TV

I have a 2005 Titan with no backup camera as my TV. I have found a lot of options on ebay after searching. Most are a temporary setup with a magnetic base and have a small LCD screen that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

I wanted to see what advise anyone else has for adding an after market backup camera to their TV.

When I do replace the truck I will probably get it ordered with the truck but for now I just want to do an aftermarket option.

2015 Nights Camped 18
2016 Nights Camped 32
2015 Palomino Solaire 201SS
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

I also have been curious of the same.

jsverner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
I've been using the iBall wireless BU camera. Strong magnetic base. Stick it on just below the tailgate handle and turn it on. Back under trailer hitch. Turn it off and pop it into the glove box.

Certified JB Welder. Certified 3M Duct Tape installer.
Certified Farmer's Co-Op bailing wire expert. Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.
Getting old is just a matter of narrowly missing all the things that kill you.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member
Most of the "aftermarket" cameras are junk. Poor quality construction, dim or fuzzy images, etc. There are a few quality ones that are specifically designed for a particular make/model of vehicle. One good seller is " ". Their units integrate with later model factory displays (i.e., Dodge U-Connect). I don't know if they have a specific model for the Titan but I think some of their units interface with a new rear-view mirror. They also have good customer support.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
I installed Hopkins 50002 Smart Hitch Camera on not only our TV but on our daily driver as well. Love the hitch alignment screen. Easy to install

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Posts: 778 They have everything you need. Everything I have bought from them has been very good quality.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
I purchased this BU camera over a year ago and it works great IF your licence plate is in a good location to put a camera... absolutely no issues with getting it working or installed... it IS WIRED, so no issues of wireless... the video cable passes under my back door and up to the cabin.

hooked power wires to rear tail lights so if I turn my lights on then the camera turns on... I should have hooked it to the backup lights instead, but it works... Car Rear View Backup Camera IR Night Vision US License Plate Frame CMOS Alloy Black: Home Improvement

the bigger problem was the LCD screen in the cab... after going through two cheap ones, I finally purcahsed the 2 camera/1 LCD screen security camera setup from Harbor Freight for $70.

The screen has worked flawlessly for over a year, and gives you a second input for another camera. Since this HF system comes with two cameras, I ran a second camera to the rear of my TT and can now see when backing up the TT also.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Having done a lot of research before installing a back-up camera. Emm-dee is correct, there is a lot of junk out there. Spend your money on a decent camera and you won't be disappointed.

I opted to do a hard-wire install and chose a Boyo license plate camera: Boyo VTL375 Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera: Car Electronics

This camera can be integrated with an in-dash head unit, a separate monitor, or some GPS units. You would have to do some research, because the wiring type may differ with the monitoring choice. I was first going to use an on-dash GPS that had a port (which many do). "Our choice" (aka DW) was to do an in-dash head unit with GPS.

The Boyo is a quality camera- function and finish are excellent. This camera is nearly invisible as it appears to be nothing more than a license plate frame. Mounted on a 2013 Siverado, I have adjusted the camera to just catch the hitch ball. The nearly un-distorted wide angle camera catches an approx 170 degrees clear view for a least a city block. I chose a permanent install because it makes a world of difference in everyday driving. It is particularly useful when backing out of a parking stall and your vision is obstructed by vehicle next to you. Note that the Boyo camera also has excellent night vision capability even though it doesn't have infra red. I can line up the hitch at night with only the back-up light illumination and no help. Ours has had flawless operation for 3 years. Like any camera, the picture may blur with rain.

Two other tips:
1. I had to wire to the back-up lights and DW insisted that I install after-market back-up sensors. As always, DW is always right. It is an excellent combination and the sensors are accurate to the inch.
2. Even with a back-up camera, day or night, lining the ball up to the hitch is challenging when it's black on black. So I took a spray can of international orange and painted the front couple inches of the trailor hitch cup. What a difference when you are trying to line up on a 4" target!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
I went with a hard wired Tadi Bros system. I wired it as an accessory and can use it anytime I want.

Backup camera is mounted above license plate with great night vision. A tremendous help aligning my Propride hitch.

Camera also mounted high on the TT with very good night vision. Good for backing into a campsite. When I am traveling I leave the camera on and can see the traffic behind me. Really a terrific asset. No blind spots.

I mounted a plastic wp box to the trailer frame to function as a junction box to connect the camera to my SUV. Protects the m/f connector from the dirt and elements.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Usually Confused Member
Like PenJoe, I have done a lot of research on backup/observation cameras. Wired cams are generally the best quality. Until getting my new Vengeance TT my experience has been limited to pulling gooseneck horse trailers. Putting a wired system in is easy because there is minimal interior panels (at least in the back where the horses live). Tap the power off an upper running light, route the wire under the trailer and install a quick-connect to attach it to the truck These trailers run 35-40 feet and all the wireless systems I tried have been hit or miss on connectivity. My current trailer (40 feet) has three wired cameras for watching traffic behind me and the animals being carried.

I think (at least I hope) I have found a great wireless system which works over WiFi. The installation is in progress and should be finished tomorrow...will post pictures then. The camera I got is a Sharx SC3904 "mini" (although it's only mini when compared to their full size version...definitely larger than most backup cameras). Nice thing about it is the capability to operate on 12 vdc. The Vengeance is pre-wired for the backup cam (Furrion POS) so all that's required is tapping into the 12 volt wiring in the pre-wired box.

The Sharx, being a WiFi unit, requires the installation of a router. I put a NetGear N-router (don't need AC protocol because the camera is N-protocol) in a cabinet in the front bedroom. That router also operates on 12vdc so I tapped into the overhead light wire for power. Also installed a tiny switch so it won't be drawing power all the time.

I haven't permanently attached the camera (waiting for daylight) but I temporarily taped it into position for testing. The camera automatically connects to the router (less than 25 feet away) and then the router is accessed with an iPhone or iPad. I think an Android can be used but I'm clueless about them. The video quality on the i-devices is incredible. The camera is Hi-Def 1920x1080 resolution and the color rendition is perfect. For night use the infrared system comes on automatically and looks like it will be really nice for backing into camping spots. There doesn't appear to be any interference with the display in the truck. I even moved the iPhone about 200 feet in front of the TV/TT and still had a perfect connection.

Total cost less than $350. I'm thinking about installing another one on the right front side of the TT so I can have a side view camera (the LiveCams iPhone app allows numerous simultaneous camera connections). Another feature of the camera is a built in SD card which records the last six hours of video. Sorta like a dash cam facing the wrong way.

Hopefully the complete install will be finished tomorrow and I can post some pictures.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote