Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Another suggestion that might help you out would be the addition of shocks to the camper if there isn't already a set there...

Some roads with certain rig combinations i feel are just bad combinations. My previous truck and trailer would pull just fine here in Nebraska but it seemed as soon as I crossed the river into Iowa all hell broke loose and we got that amusement park ride you are talking about.

I actually went as far as to have my work laser cut me a 1/2" thick steel plate that matched the tongue of my trailer to add 200 pounds of tongue weight... it helped greatly but didn't eliminate it... I feel that I had i added shocks to the trailer it would have behaved much nicer...

just a consideration... I believe OC has done a set or two and may have some more insight on it...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
New, properly matched shocks will smooth the ride. Nothing you can add will cure an overloaded situation. Before spending a dime on add ons you need to load up and get accurate scaled weights to determine what you really have.
I hate to bring this up again but you can cure an overload situation depending on your truck. I have a 2500 GMC diesel and there is really no difference in a 3500 except for a few more leaf springs. I verified this with multiple dealers. So adding any kind of suspension enhancement can actually increase your payload, in this situation. But you need to know your truck.

But to the original question I am partial to timbrens. I had them on 3 trucks now. I always look at cost/benefit and the possibility for failure. Timbrens have really no parts that can fail.

2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
I just installed a set of these Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits | Helper Springs | Overload Springs , and while I have not pulled a long trip yet, they really seem to help. Had air bags on my previous TV, and they were OK, but expensive to buy and install, and needed to be adjusted when the trailer was not hooked up .....
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
woopdie do's

You have a 2500 truck that bounces like I you use to have. Equalizer BRAND hitch!!!! All problems gone!!!
No need to fool with the suspension if your not overloading. Do the hitch first!!!
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
I agree that a properly installed WDH with anti-sway is the first step. I used a 4 point Equal-I-zer.

Then I tried Timbrens, because they are relatively inexpensive and so easy to install. They worked great on my F-250. They do not affect stock handling because they only "kick in" when carrying a load. Also, I would have been able to return them (Amazon) if they were not to my liking. There are similar products such as Sumo Springs and Super Springs.

If Timbrens did not work well, my next choice would have been air bags, which are more expensive, especially if installed with an on board compressor and gauges. I think that might give more options if you are towing different trailers with different hitch weights and gross weight. The down side is maintenance and possibility of getting leaks. If you get air bags, I would make sure they have "jounce" feature so that they still protect the suspension if there is a major leak.

My Timbrens performed so well in improving towing - that was as far I needed to go.
2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #16
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Any suggestions on smoothing out those highway whoop-de-doos? Just got back from a 3000 miles trip and at times the bouncing reminded me of an amusement park ride. I have a Ram 2500 with about 1500 pound tongue weight on the hitch.
Andersen WDH. No bounce.
George Scott
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 272RLIS/ Prodigy P3
2006 Heartland BH 3400/Summer Home
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Andersen WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #17
Just a member
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Any suggestions on smoothing out those highway whoop-de-doos?
You could try both - Timbrens and bags. Works for us. Put the Timbrens in first and there was some improvement, especially traveling along frost heaved prairie highways. The addition of bags improved things significantly. Ya, I know, different suspension but the point is... the Timbrens assist in controlling (cooling) the rebound, the bags assist in managing that rebound and the overall effectiveness of the suspension.

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #18
while a pain to install I would choose airbags any day over timbrens. I have timbrens in my present TV and had airbags in my last one....
not all trucks come with a camper package, but if you do have the extra leaf....with your truck loaded and the extra leaf about a 1/2 " from the nub that puts it into play, any time you hit a bump and the extra leaf [known as overload spring] hits the nub you'll get a double bounce and on semi smooth pavement you'll just go bouncing down the road...I get this on my present TV...all because I was trying to save a buck .
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Air bags hands down.

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #20
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
I use the timbrens. They are also intended to prevent sway. They are longer than the original snubbs on the truck which with the stock ones they never really touch the rear axle when the trailer is hooked up. That's why you bounce more. Installing the Timbrens makes them touch the axle and provides additional resistance to sway. After adjusting my 4 point WDH and adding these my sway and ride improved dramatically. Its like any thing else everyone has a preference.

With the condition of our roads today it's going to be hard to get any sort of smooth ride when towing TT. I had 5th wheels which towed so much better but as we go older it was harder to climb stairs . If I had to do again I would go back to a 5th wheel. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote