Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Ball Coupler Height (First timer here)

Hello, all. Just last week the wife and I inherited a 2012 Coachmen Catalina Deluxe (27FBCK) with less than 250 miles on it. Needless to say I know nothing of travel trailer camping and am learning as I go.

I have to go pick it up a few states away and am borrowing a friends truck to get it. I was told by my elderly in-laws that the top of the ball coupler is 28.5" from the ground. My friends truck receiver is about 18" from the ground so I would need to make up 10.5" to pull this thing level.

Can anyone, or a few of you, confirm what the actual height of the ball coupler is from the ground? It would be good to know if all you folks are averaging about the same height, and if it really is 28.5". My in laws live in rural Iowa and only have a dirt yard and drive so they could be measuring from a slope..?? I'm trying buy and take with me what I need since their closest RV type store is almost 2 hrs away. I've attached a picture of the kind of measurement I'm looking for.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupler Height.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	113142  

Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

They set my tuck up at 23 1/2 to top of ball

Old 07-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Sham183

It is really going to be hard to give you exact information on this. You might get someone who has a little more insight than some. From my point of view from the info you have gave us, we would need to know the type of truck you are using for starters. This is a major part of figuring this out. Second there are so many different types of hitches out there it will be hard to say which will work great. I assume you would want to get it home before looking into a weight distribution hitch seeing as how you are borrowing a friends truck. Best thing I can say is provide as much info to us as you can about the truck and trailer and we can go from there. I don't want to give to much info that could be wrong or have you thinking you are making a mistake.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member

That's a 6,500+ pound trailer. You'll really need a WD hitch or a 3500 series truck to pull it. If you're going to just direct hitch it to a ton truck you're not going to like the trip home very much. Be sure you have insurance.

Try to find someone with a truck and WD setup to help you get it home.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks, guys.
I didn't include any hitch specs because I can raise or drop the ball with adjustable types of mounts to meet the trailer ball coupler height when it's level. The trailer can't be easily modified but the ball height can be. If the coupler sits somewhere between 20" and say 22" then I know what kind of ball mount I would need to meet that height.

The truck is a Ford 250 with a Class V hitch with 2.25" x 2.25" receiver opening, reduced to a 2" x 2". The receiver opening sits at 18". My in laws do have a weight distributing hitch (see attached) that I plan on using but if the ball mount doesn't rise high enough when mounted in my truck then I need to buy something that will bring the ball higher. Which leads back to the original question of where does an average ball coupler height sit on one of these Coachmen. If it is indeed 28.5" then I would need to buy a ball mount that will rise 8" or so. if it's really between 20" and 22" high then what my in laws have should work.

I'm learned a lot in the last 5 days and I'm sure I will be learning a lot more. I appreciate you folks and this forum. I can tell it will be a wealth of information.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny4127 View Post
They set my tuck up at 23 1/2 to top of ball
Thank you. If they set your ball around 23.5 then your trailer is somewhere around that height, too. I have the feeling that my in laws measured incorrectly. Does anyone else out there have any insight on their actual trailer height (ball coupler height). Does between 20" and 24" sound about right.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #7

Have them measure between the wheels to the frame, measuring to the same part of the frame that the ball coupler is mounted to. Most of the time, it is the top of the frame, but not always. That will remove the slope from the equation.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

The WD hatch should be mounted on an adjustable hitch shank, so you most likely don't need to purchase anything hitch wise. You will need some good wrenches if you have to adjust the hitch. Have them send you some pictures and post them here.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
Have them measure between the wheels to the frame, measuring to the same part of the frame that the ball coupler is mounted to. Most of the time, it is the top of the frame, but not always. That will remove the slope from the equation.
Ha ha, that's exactly what I'm having them do. Like you, I figured that might be the easiest way to take the slope out of the equation. Like I mentioned before they are elderly and so I'm really having difficulty getting true trusting measurements from them.

For instance I had them measure the receiver hole on the back of their truck and they told me it was 1", then they told me the adjustable shank that slides into that is 2"....? Obviously something is wrong. For normal capable people like us it would take 5 minutes to gather what was needed. I'm going on 1.5 weeks now trying to get the most basic info. and info that doesn't contradict.

Can you confirm if your trailer height sits in that that range of 20" - 24"?
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
The WD hatch should be mounted on an adjustable hitch shank, so you most likely don't need to purchase anything hitch wise. You will need some good wrenches if you have to adjust the hitch. Have them send you some pictures and post them here.
Yes, the hitch is adjustable with a raise of 5.5 inches or so. From their measurements of a ball coupler height of 28.5" I would need to rise about 8". That's why I'm trying to get a somewhat accurate trailer height. I have to assume they may not ever be able to get this for me so I'm asking for average trailer heights from you fine folks to see if what I have is good enough or if I need to get an adjustable hitch with more rise.

Tags
first time