Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
My 2009 Silverado 2500hd gasser was paid off 5 years ago. I just turned 93k and plan on keeping it till the end of me. I changed oil religiously, repair and replace whatever and whenever needed. Im in the middle of rebuilding the suspension. Control arms, shocks, ball joints idler arms etc. I will fix whatever is needed just to keep from purchasing an over priced new vehicle. Can't see spending all that money on a vehicle that is mostly foreign made. Or foreign owned.
Which begs the question, should you buy an older, high mileage truck and restore it to like new specs to avoid the high cost of new trucks?
I recently saw a '08 Ford F250 Super Duty, 4x4, Super Cab with a V10 for sale for $7500. It was an ex-Nevada Highway patrol vehicle.
It looked clean for 180,000 miles. I realize it might need $5000/$10,000 worth of work to replace worn components..but the good bones were all there.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #42

not a bad deal. Highway Patrol vehicles are usually maintained very well. Usually not loaded down with heavy options.
Personally I would find a good clean 2006-2008 F-250 or F-350 6L diesel. They can be had for 10-15K. Spend 10-15K on having it "Bulletproofed" Will have a good non emission, DEF free diesel that will go for 200K-300K miles. The 6L is a heck of a engine after it has had it's very well known and correctable problems taken care of.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #43

One problem with police vehicles is that they do a LOT of idling. 180K on the clock = lots more on the engine.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
not a bad deal. Highway Patrol vehicles are usually maintained very well. Usually not loaded down with heavy options.
Personally I would find a good clean 2006-2008 F-250 or F-350 6L diesel. They can be had for 10-15K. Spend 10-15K on having it "Bulletproofed" Will have a good non emission, DEF free diesel that will go for 200K-300K miles. The 6L is a heck of a engine after it has had it's very well known and correctable problems taken care of.
Thats the rub, fixing a bad engine. The 6.0 and the 6.4 can have serious problems, plus to work on them the entire cab has to come off the frame.
Overcoming the fuel injection pump problems, I am not sure can be done reliably.

I bought this year a 2005 Ram 3500 4WD dually crew cab Cummins diesel used with 159,000 mostly because I know mechanically they are great motors. And the truck was well maintained and is pre EGR and DEF fluid. The design stacks the deck in my favor. And an engine with a CP3 or Nippondenso HP4 injection pump common rail is great compared to a CP4 pump which will grenade and destroy the entire motor. Just a matter of when not if.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #45

I bought a brand new 2017 F250 XL/STX when it was time to upgrade. It was parked next to a Lariat and a Platinum, and we had been looking at GMC Denali's at the time.

When it came down to it, I couldn't justify the extra 10-20K for bells and whistles that could cause me problems down the road.

The STX is a great package IMO. I have the Diesel, 4x4, Trailer Cameras, Sync 3, Power windows and locks, electronic locker, and some other items. I'll probably get Katzkin leather for the seats in the next couple of years because it looks good.

As previously stated, bling means more weight. My STX has just under 2600 lbs of payload and the other trucks that were parked next to it were 2100 or less.

We thought about used, and I was just worried that it was owned by someone who doesn't take maintenance as seriously as I do...didn't want a hefty diesel repair bill. That and prices for relatively new diesels weren't too far apart. My dealer also has a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as I take it in every 7500 miles for oil changes and tire rotations, and 15k for fuel filter changes.

After almost 2 years and 36k miles, I can say I don't miss anything with going with a "base" model. In fact, after reading some of the issues others are having (sunroofs, adaptive cruise and steering, etc.) I'm glad I went STX...and so is my bank account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	201366  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Thats the rub, fixing a bad engine. The 6.0 and the 6.4 can have serious problems, plus to work on them the entire cab has to come off the frame.
Overcoming the fuel injection pump problems, I am not sure can be done reliably.

I bought this year a 2005 Ram 3500 4WD dually crew cab Cummins diesel used with 159,000 mostly because I know mechanically they are great motors. And the truck was well maintained and is pre EGR and DEF fluid. The design stacks the deck in my favor. And an engine with a CP3 or Nippondenso HP4 injection pump common rail is great compared to a CP4 pump which will grenade and destroy the entire motor. Just a matter of when not if.
Check out bulletproof's website. They rework the 6.0 into a heck of a engine. Not cheap but what isn't with a diesel engine?
https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #47

Great base model pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Anyone explore the various manufacturer "build your truck" sites and choose a base model as means to alleviate the high cost of new trucks?
I am referring to the Ram Tradesman, Ford XL and Chevrolet Work Truck models. All now come standard with automatic, power steering power brakes, power windows, am-fm, backup camera and cruise control.
Ordering the important mechanicals of low rear gearing, (high numerically) 4X4, crew cab, payload package ,tow package, tow mirrors and brake control keeps the cost of a new truck reasonable..especially if you stay with gas and not add that $10,000 hit with a diesel.
With dealer dickering and rebates, you might bring it below that magic $40,000 number.
Does anyone who has a base truck miss the leather, wood trim and tech features of the various Lariat, Limited, King Ranch options?

I had a '01 Ford F-350 XL V-10 6.8 liter crew cab with 8' bed FX4 4x4. Paid $30k new and used it for 18 years towing 8-10k travel trailers and put185k miles on it. Kept all maintenance up to date, and had to replace the tranny after 170k mile only because a fluid Collin got line busted when the wife was driving to the store and burned up the transmission. Other than that, great truck arms saved $15k over Lariat and diesels eighteen years ago. Added upgraded aluminum rims for a couple hundred dress bucks that I bought used off EBay and gave it a nicer appearance. Added some split bucket front seats that reclined when it was about 8 years old to make the longer trips more comfy for another eight hundred bucks. Great reliable truck and sold it last year for seven thousand and should last the buyer for years. So, I didn't buy the super expensive model super duty, but upgraded my XL for a little over a thousand dollars from new.
londonhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #48

I did a lot of research on the big three makers including the Nissan Titan "5/8ths truck) on price comparison and I got a 2500 2017 ram Tradesman, last year off the lot for 39,999...lol one dollar less than 40k. 5 year/100,000 warranty.
Ok it has the Cummins diesel engine, brake controller and above all that wonderful exhaust brake! It is 4x4, has power windows, tow mirrors, cruise control, AC, Cirrus radio and many other features I coiuld have done without but nonetheless still makes for a comfortable ride.

Im a truck guy, not someone who needs the latest gadgets which only jacks the price another 10-20k only for those trinkets to break in 10 years....If I need a big navigational screen I just use the sun, map or a tom tom plugged into the cigarette lighter. Essentially most of those "price packages" are useless to me and Im unwilling to pay for such fecal matter.

In the end Ram got my money because they offered a vehicle which has usable features and not pushing a pimped out town car with a 4-5 foot box in the back as a "truck"
Above all give me cloth seats because they work, no special care needed, no maintenance like leather...Had them in a Ford Truck and they worked then and they work now.

If you are happy with what was considered "Luxury " items 20 years ago, then the tradesman will probably fill the bill.
Above all dont be a sucker and fall victim to brand loyalty...brand loyalty is what corporations push to the gullible so the CEO can get his bonus.
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
All of the XTR trucks I have looked at never had height adjustable seats. all of the XLT trucks I have seen have this. are you able to adjust the height of yours?
I bought a new 2016 F-250 XLT "Premium" with 4.30 gears and 6.2 gas. nice truck! I use it for my usual running around, and it came with power seat which adjusts vertically as well as otherwise. Pedals are also electrically height adjustable, which I think is standard. The only things I added besides the premium package were navigation w/rear camera, 5th wheel prep, and electric mirrors with power in/out, which is really nice. Now that we bought a Sunseeker, we traded off the 5th wheel. Truck now has about 10k miles on it, and just stays in the garage most of the time, to keep The Sunseeker company...
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #50
RV There Yet?

I'll throw my hat into this ring. I have a 2009 King Ranch, Canadian Spec truck. Saddle leather, heated and cooled seats, tailgate step and handle, backup camera (no nav) and no premium sound. has the max tow package with 3.73 LSD rear axle, tow mirrors, 36 gallon tank, and 6.5 foot box. I dont NEED leather or heated or cooled seats, but its a convenience that im willing to pay for. i like not having everything sticky and sweaty when i get to my destination. I like that the truck will automatically adjust the drivers seat based on which keyfob is used. necessary? nope...but sure is handy. now i do have a requirement to have the crew cab and center counsel with rear air for the back seat for the dog (mini black bear) and passengers. that automatically puts me into a higher trim package. i would never buy another truck without the tailgate step again either. this trim package hits the nail squarely on the head for me. it has all the necessary things i require and a few nice extra touches to boot! I will note that it is up for debate as to the Cargo Capacity of this particular year truck. it has been well documented that nothing significant changed between the '09 and '10 model years, but CC is higher on the '10 models (around 900lbs).
Old 04-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #51

Oldie, but goodie

2003 1/2 Dodge Ram 2500 4WD Laramie, fully loaded. Cummins diesel with 46K miles, picked it up in 2010 for 20K. Why 2003 1/2? 24 valve turbo HO with ZERO pollution apparatus. Bought it because a friend of mine is a Dodge engineering tech, and he stated that was the best engine ever put in a Ram(at that time). The build date was in July 2003, when the 2004's were starting down the assembly line with the new 24 valve HO with some pollution controls. Only came in this configuration for a very short time. Basically a 2004 without EPA stuff. It has been a work horse pulling our 11K lb fiver all over the Western mountains.

My son and I call ourselves "the recyclers" because we refuse to buy new (avoid off the lot depreciation), and love working on our vehicles. In the 9 years and 120K miles I've driven this truck, the only things replaced, other than regular maintenance items, were a new cover for the dash and the fuel pump ( went out literally the day before the warranty expired). The original pump was mounted on the side of the engine block, the new one is in the fuel tank. Just regular maintenance, wash and wax, and enjoy the ride in a beast of a truck that still looks like it did the day it came out of the factory.
210flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #52

Quote:
I'll throw my hat into this ring. I have a 2009 King Ranch, Canadian Spec truck. Saddle leather, heated and cooled seats, tailgate step and handle, backup camera (no nav) and no premium sound. has the max tow package with 3.73 LSD rear axle, tow mirrors, 36 gallon tank, and 6.5 foot box. I dont NEED leather or heated or cooled seats, but its a convenience that im willing to pay for. i like not having everything sticky and sweaty when i get to my destination. I like that the truck will automatically adjust the drivers seat based on which keyfob is used. necessary? nope...but sure is handy. now i do have a requirement to have the crew cab and center counsel with rear air for the back seat for the dog (mini black bear) and passengers. that automatically puts me into a higher trim package. i would never buy another truck without the tailgate step again either. this trim package hits the nail squarely on the head for me. it has all the necessary things i require and a few nice extra touches to boot! I will note that it is up for debate as to the Cargo Capacity of this particular year truck. it has been well documented that nothing significant changed between the '09 and '10 model years, but CC is higher on the '10 models (around 900lbs).
So this is a King Ranch 1/2 Ton, not a base model HD truck ?
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #53
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
So this is a King Ranch 1/2 Ton, not a base model HD truck ?
correct, mine is a 1/2 ton. A lot of the options for the King Ranch F150 transfer up to the HD trucks. I was only specifically referencing "Does anyone who has a base truck miss the leather, wood trim and tech features of the various Lariat, Limited, King Ranch options?" from the original post. I went the opposite direction and upgraded from having had an XLT previously, there are things I would not be without now and some things i could certainly do without. regardless of HD vs 1/2 Ton, the experience and relevance of every response is still valid and useful info for the OP.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #54
Superdutycamping

I have a 2019 ford f250 stx gasser that i absolutely love i have owned trucks with trim levels from top of the line to base but this truck has all i need and is a comfortable ride even has sirius radio and i bought it for 39.8k the only grumble i could possibly think of is fuel milage with the cost of gas rising daily it seems but i dont fret a ton about that so no complaints
Superdutymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #55
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutymike View Post
I have a 2019 ford f250 stx gasser that i absolutely love i have owned trucks with trim levels from top of the line to base but this truck has all i need [...]
This is exactly my point several pages ago. Your experience is not unique. Tons of people are just like you and love these STX/XLT trucks ... and scoff at the silly options and features that drive the prices into the stratosphere.

Congrats on your truck and thanks for sharing.

Quote:
[...] regardless of HD vs 1/2 Ton, the experience and relevance of every response is still valid and useful info for the OP.
I'm quite certain that in 6 pages of responses that this is not true! But, ultimately, you'd have to ask the OP if, in fact, every response is valid in useful to him.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutymike View Post
I have a 2019 ford f250 stx gasser that i absolutely love i have owned trucks with trim levels from top of the line to base but this truck has all i need and is a comfortable ride even has sirius radio and i bought it for 39.8k the only grumble i could possibly think of is fuel milage with the cost of gas rising daily it seems but i dont fret a ton about that so no complaints
You have exactly what I want. Best tow package with the camera system for hooking up,just enough options to make it a nice truck with the needed items without the frivolous options. You got a great capable truck at a great price
Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #57

DW thinks the F250 STX is more comfortable than the '11 F150 Lariat it replaced. The only complaint she has about the F250 is the height which has been resolved. I swapped the rear blocks for those from the '16's and earlier which lowered the back about 1-1/2" and added a set of Amp Research power steps. Those steps are awesome!

2019 STX, FX4, Power Equipment Package, 4.30 E-Locker, cloth seating/carpet, SYNC 3, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System, Blind Spot Information System, 275/75/18 OWL, rear defrost, LED lighting package, Upfitter switches, remote start, Ford Spray-in bedliner, and tailgate step. Lots of options yet still has a 3,261 lb. payload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_151223.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	202157  
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck