Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Base plate/wiring: switching one Jeep to another

BluOx tow bar and baseplate.

Dealer installed base plate on my 2010 Wranger (4-dr). Had to install diodes in rear brake wiring to prevent feed back into front turn signals, headlights, etc.

Now I want to move the base plate over to the 2012 Jeep Wrangler (4dr).

I had planned to take it to the Dealer who did the original install but I wonder if it is really all that complicated and if I can just do it myself. I have tools and some experience around and under cars.

Is there anything about installing a baseplate that requires a dealer install?

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Wanderluster

It's not the base plate but the electric that can be touchy. If you are a DYIer, a cooltechllc.com harness is plug and play in the 2012, and works great for my application with a US Gear Unified Tow Brake.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

I just installed a blue ox baseplate on my 2012 wrangler a couple weeks ago. 2011 and older models needed a small section of frame to be cut, none of this is required on the newer wranglers.

1. Just remove the plastic belly pan.
2. 8 Nuts holding the bumper, 4 per side next to the lights
3. disconnect fog light wiring and set bumper aside.
4. The baseplate lines right up, download the instructions from blue ox

the only tough part will be starting the nuts for the baseplate bolts, you need to insert them into the jeep frame rails. These nuts come with a welded stem on them so you can hold them while the bolt gets threaded, they need to be inserted roughly 8-10inches into the hollow tubular frame.

repeat the above steps in reverse order and you are done.

FYI - I bought the EZ wiring kit which provides OEM connectors to taillights and requires no splicing. It comes with the diode controller and 20feet of 4-wire cable to run to the front bumper of the jeep.

I hope this helps