Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

Battery power to trailer intermittent

I have a 2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16bhs and found that after camping and disconnecting shore power that nothing would run off of battery. Checking battery with a multimeter showed 13.1v. I then discovered that the screw where all the positive wires connect to has play in it. I tightened nut but still have play with the screw. When pushing it in I discovered that power to inside of trailer restored but when towing the vibration from towing would cause issue to return. Not sure how to get rid of this play on the entire screw assembly. Anyone ever had this happen to them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FECC356-0A59-4A2E-BF05-0AFC4B753880.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	185966  
mdebiasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #2

I would replace that circuit breaker. It is probably loose because someone over tightened it at some point and broke it internally.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

Edit: Nevermind. Loose stud not nut.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

I would replace it, too. Don't do it like the one in you picture. There should be a star washer and nut holding the stud tight to the plastic, then your cables, then another star washer/nut. The first nut allows you to hold the stud from turning while tightening the second nut. You need to use a stamped steel wrench you find in some cheap wrench sets. They used to be made for working on ignition systems that had distributor points.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I would replace it, too. Don't do it like the one in you picture. There should be a star washer and nut holding the stud tight to the plastic, then your cables, then another star washer/nut. The first nut allows you to hold the stud from turning while tightening the second nut. You need to use a stamped steel wrench you find in some cheap wrench sets. They used to be made for working on ignition systems that had distributor points.
Thanks, I will give it a try and see.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I would replace that circuit breaker. It is probably loose because someone over tightened it at some point and broke it internally.
What circuit breaker are you referring to? I don't see one where the wires connect to screw.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

I hate these Circuit Breakers. Mine hasn't failed yet but when it gives me the first sign of trouble it goes away. When I installed my Battery Monitor's shunt, in a separate enclosure next to the battery boxes, I included a fuse holder that uses an ANL type fuse. Spare fuses are taped to the inside of the cover. Plan on adding a simple LED light wired from one terminal to the other that will light up if the fuse blows. As long as the fuse is good, no LED.

I can't think of a worse place to install a Circuit breaker than where the manufacturer has chosen. Right where all road dirt and wet spray hits the frame of the trailer. Wonder what brainiac in the design department chose that. Ditto for the non-waterproof junction box they put next to it and connect all the wires for Tongue Jack, Slide, Awning, main power feed, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebiasi View Post
What circuit breaker are you referring to? I don't see one where the wires connect to screw.
That is the circuit breaker that you are showing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BoCBlIQAvD_BwE
Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I can't think of a worse place to install a Circuit breaker than where the manufacturer has chosen. Right where all road dirt and wet spray hits the frame of the trailer. Wonder what brainiac in the design department chose that. Ditto for the non-waterproof junction box they put next to it and connect all the wires for Tongue Jack, Slide, Awning, main power feed, etc.
I agree, I actually have a circuit breeker near my battery inside my trailer that now feeds to that point. I just moved the cable to the other side of the breaker so it's basically just serving as a power post right now until I change it out to something more suitable for that environment.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That is the circuit breaker that you are showing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BoCBlIQAvD_BwE
Thanks babock. I didn't realize that is actually a circuit breaker attached to the screws. I think it might be cracked due to the play it has. I may just order a replacement rather than having to take the trailer 2.5hrs back to the dealer. Will cost me way more in gas to come and go, especially hauling a trailer.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Team

There is a small button on the end of the breaker that resets it. It is possible that when you were working on it you pressed the button and reset it. See Photo.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
There is a small button on the end of the breaker that resets it. It is possible that when you were working on it you pressed the button and reset it. See Photo.
If you reset it, it would make it work properly.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Ground wires!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebiasi View Post
I have a 2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16bhs and found that after camping and disconnecting shore power that nothing would run off of battery. Checking battery with a multimeter showed 13.1v. I then discovered that the screw where all the positive wires connect to has play in it. I tightened nut but still have play with the screw. When pushing it in I discovered that power to inside of trailer restored but when towing the vibration from towing would cause issue to return. Not sure how to get rid of this play on the entire screw assembly. Anyone ever had this happen to them?
Almost ALL of my 12v problems were traced to these frame grounds in your picture. Clean, lub, tighten.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Almost ALL of my 12v problems were traced to these frame grounds in your picture. Clean, lub, tighten.

OP is talking about his picture that shows a circuit breaker or as many call it a resettable fuse. Frame ground connections are totally different.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post

Don't see any frame grounds in his picture.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #16

I plan to replace the breaker since it appears to be damaged due to wiggly screw. Problem is I don’t know if I should be getting a 30amp or 40amp breaker.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I hate these Circuit Breakers. Mine hasn't failed yet but when it gives me the first sign of trouble it goes away. When I installed my Battery Monitor's shunt, in a separate enclosure next to the battery boxes, I included a fuse holder that uses an ANL type fuse. Spare fuses are taped to the inside of the cover. Plan on adding a simple LED light wired from one terminal to the other that will light up if the fuse blows. As long as the fuse is good, no LED.

X2 . i got rid of mine and installed one in my battery box . much better
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #18

Images for tocas30 amp surface mount circuit breaker 12v

you may try one of these instead . much better then the crap that comes with unit
Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

Thanks for the link. Did you get the 30amp one for your trailer?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #20

[QUOTE=mdebiasi;1926938]Thanks for the link. Did you get the 30amp one for your trailer?[/QUOTE

Yes !

Tags
battery, power, trailer