Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #41
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoppmann View Post
Bottom-line is that excessive speed was the root of the problem. Poor weight distribution(setup) and lack of anti-sway then compounded the problem.
Sadly, I think you nailed it!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #42
peaceparson

We just returned from a great vacation to ND, by way of the UP. When we were approaching the toll center at the Mackinaw Bridge, pulling our FR PUP behind our Pacifica, I began coming up on the car in front as though it was standing still. Just in the nick, so to speak, I realized that it WAS standing still! I can't be absolutely sure because I was busy trying to stop the car and trailer without losing control, but I'm pretty certain that the guy in front had his arm sticking out of the car window, camera in hand, taking pics of the bridge! What a JERK! My wife wasn't in the car with us, thank goodness, because she would have fainted or worse. The good news is that our Pacifica, boasting new tires and brakes, a tune-up, and some other maintenance items, stopped the trailer with both car and trailer lined up like a soldier at attention! Safe driving includes keeping the vehicle ready for any conditions and emergencies. Proper vehicle maintenance is expensive, but not nearly as costly as hospital and/or mortuary bills. A pro driver once told me to drive as though I were the ONLY sensible driver on the road--always alert and ready for whatever the goofs might do to endanger my life.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #43

Everytime I cross the mac I always travel 25mph across the bridge, plenty of time to stop if required

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #44

While driving thru town yesterday in my small car (on the hiway), I passed a young "man" in the left lane and he was in the right lane. As I passed, I saw his head looking down(yep, texting)! As we approached the next intersection, I had to almost slam on brakes because someone in front of me was trying to take a left turn from the left lane(not from the turn lane). I looked in my rearview mirror to see this young "man" coming up fast behind and looking up just in time to slam on brakes(deer in the headlight look). I don't usually curse on this forum but as we sat there, waiting for traffic to clear, I looked up in the mirror straight at him and said, "Get your head out of that damn phone!"

What is so important that you can't wait to look at it while driving? And it's not only the younger generation, I've seen some of us middle aged folks doing it too.

It's now a state law that driving while texting is illegal. But how does the law enforcement catch them? I guess a wreck has to happen before they are stopped.

What did we do before cell phones?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
peaceparson

In Indiana, the no-texting law only applies to younger than 18 yo. In fact, under that age it is now illegal to use any phone for any purpose while driving. I don't know why we should trust those over 18 to "multi-task" while driving. years of experience behinde the wheel don't enable one to grow extra sets of eyes, or use other extra-normal kinds of powers while driving. Texting behind the wheel is dangerous for anyone! Pet peeve: why do car-makers keep loading new cars with all sorts of attention-robbing devices when they know these things cause accidents?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #46
peaceparson

And again: 25 mph on the mac is a great speed! Still, at that speed it takes longer to stop a car and trailer safely. A combo of intelligent speed and eternal vigilance makes for a great vacation.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #47
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoppmann View Post
Bottom-line is that excessive speed was the root of the problem. Poor weight distribution(setup) and lack of anti-sway then compounded the problem.

Unfortunately this is it right here. It does not matter whether it was a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton. Last week we lost a $200k fuel hauling set up (2014 Freightliner tanker truck plus tank trailer) because driver was going 66 around a bend, lost control and put the whole rig on its side with 8,800 gallons of diesel in it. He, by the grace of God, made it out before the whole thing went up but CHP says his speed is the sole cause.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanreever View Post
Guy is an idiot. Simple as that. Does not matter if it is a 150, 250 or a 350 towing a trailer. If you go too fast, bad things happen. I am glad noone got hurt in this incident, but this driver should get a bloody lip from somebody for putting his wife and kids in harms way to save a few minutes. I drive under the speed limit and do not care what other drivers think. I check my hitch and tires every trip. Our lives are more important than getting somewhere a bit faster.
Careful now.....you're letting logic enter the discussion! .....
Old 08-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Best way out of the sway is to apply trailer brakes and keep your foot on the accelerator to accomplish a slight pull on the trailer until it stops swaying. Never hit the vehicle brakes until the sway is over.