Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

Bed Cover?

I purchased a new 2017 Ford F250 6 3/4 bed last month and would like to get a bed cover for it. I will be towing a Rockwood 8299BS! Have been looking at ordering a BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover for it.
Does anyone else here have one and your opinion?
When it is folded up, how high does it stick up off bed rails?
When it is folded all the way forward but still laying down, will it hit trailer when turning?
The last truck I had a retrax cover but didn't like the room you loose in the front with those!
Thank You!!
sparkycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Have used Fold A Covers for at least 10 years towing fivers with two different trucks. Of course I have long bed trucks and have never had a problem. Bak flip from what I have seen to access the whole bed you flip them up against the rear window blocking any view. My Fold A Cover stacks on the first quarter of the bed. So even open I have aboit two feet of storage under cover. When closed it is nice and dry.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 in my truck. Folded it sticks up about 3 inches but no issue with the trailer clearance. I have about 6 inch trailer clearance over the rails.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Team

I just purchased a new 2017 F-150 SuperCrew XLT 5.0, you gotta love "End of Year" rebates and deals , and I'm looking at tonneau covers as well.

I looked at the Bak Flip line up at two dealers and was warned by both that they had issues with the way they fold up against the cab. I don't like blocking my rear window so I'm looking more at a folder that can be easily removed if desired.

Right now the extang Solid Fold 2.0 is my favorite "hard" folder. extang's Trifecta 2.0 Signature Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover is in the lead as a soft cover. Both can be easily removed and stored in the back seat, or truck bed, if you need the full bed.

I'm heading out in a few minutes for my local Leer Truck Center and 4W Drive store to see what other options they have available. I'll update this when I get back.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

I have the BakFlip G2, which is similar. I can fold mine up 3 folds and leaving one panel down, and still pull my 5th wheel fine. When it is completely unfolded (bed is covered), it is almost level with the bed...it doesn't really rise above the bed much at all. It looks great. When completely folded, it rests against the windwhield, but there are rubber "stoppers", and holding bars which keep it from doing any kind of "rubbing" damage to the truck or windshield. Other than the rear panel lock bar coming off (it is replaceable through BakFlip...I just haven't gotten "aroundtuit" yet), I've had no complaints with this cover. Here's a couple of pics. The one with the camper is a cropped shot from a distance, but it does show the cover folded 3 times, with the 4th panel still down (the other 3 stacked on top). I've towed many miles in this configuration. I have a Curt Q20 5th wheel hitch that sits just right under the cover. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2953 (Large).JPG
Views:	280
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	159644

Click image for larger version

Name:	TowingBrenham (Large).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	159645
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I have the BakFlip G2, which is similar. I can fold mine up 3 folds and leaving one panel down, and still pull my 5th wheel fine. When it is completely unfolded (bed is covered), it is almost level with the bed...it doesn't really rise above the bed much at all. It looks great. When completely folded, it rests against the windwhield, but there are rubber "stoppers", and holding bars which keep it from doing any kind of "rubbing" damage to the truck or windshield. Other than the rear panel lock bar coming off (it is replaceable through BakFlip...I just haven't gotten "aroundtuit" yet), I've had no complaints with this cover. Here's a couple of pics. The one with the camper is a cropped shot from a distance, but it does show the cover folded 3 times, with the 4th panel still down (the other 3 stacked on top). I've towed many miles in this configuration. I have a Curt Q20 5th wheel hitch that sits just right under the cover. Hope this helps.

Attachment 159644

Attachment 159645
Thanks for the pics, really helps!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Update: After looking around a bit more I went with the "soft" Extang Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. The Signature Series uses a heavy duty canvas for the cover versus the vinyl in the basic models. I found it on-line at Hebron Stores for $382.05 which is a better deal than the $449.00 most on line places are advertising.

AutoAnything, my preferred on line retailer, price matched Hebron, plus a $1.00, so out the door at $381.05 with No sales tax and No shipping costs. I also purchased the Extang MaxSeal bed seal for the tail gate which was $17.00 at AutoAnything. Grand Total was $398.05.

I'll post pics after it arrives and I install it next week....
Old 01-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Update: After looking around a bit more I went with the "soft" Extang Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. The Signature Series uses a heavy duty canvas for the cover versus the vinyl in the basic models. I found it on-line at Hebron Stores for $382.05 which is a better deal than the $449.00 most on line places are advertising.

AutoAnything, my preferred on line retailer, price matched Hebron, plus a $1.00, so out the door at $381.05 with No sales tax and No shipping costs. I also purchased the Extang MaxSeal bed seal for the tail gate which was $17.00 at AutoAnything. Grand Total was $398.05.

Looks very nice! Pics would be great! I will take a closer look at that cover.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #9

I think you might like this one from Access. Bought one for my truck a month ago.
2018 Silverado LTZ 2500HD CC Duramax
B.P.O.E. #2248
RamblinFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #10

I have owned a Bak Flip and mine started falling apart after 4 years. I would not purchase another one.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
I have owned a Bak Flip and mine started falling apart after 4 years. I would not purchase another one.

Which model?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Which model?
I was just going to ask same! What modelm
Old 01-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

I have used a quad-fold cover on current and previous F250 CC, and love them. I pull a fiver with a sliding hitch (pullrite) and have no problems with cover folded up at back (cab end). I can unfold after unhitching and the hitch just clears the cover when it is unfolded, and it is nice to have bed completely covered while unhitched. I also like how easy it is to remove. I can take it out easily by myself in a few minutes. Taking out the pullrite hitch is also quick - if I have another set of hands to lift it out. Otherwise I slide it out on motorcycle ramps. Anyway, as far as the folding cover: I'd do it again. Bought the one on my current rig from truckaddons.com
mcwhirtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #14

Bed Cover?

I’m not sure of the model number but I purchased around 2007. Some of the rivets broke around two years in but was not a big deal as I had small stainless bolts and just fixed. After four years the panels started to detach from the rubber.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Site Team

I have this cover. Second one as I changed TV. On my last TV the corner of the cover came loose about 3" . I called and they replaced it with a brand new cover at no charge. Great company. Once you get it set up, mark the front clamps with white tape and you can get it back on with perfect alignment in no time at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #16

I had a bak flip and they replaced after 10 months, and then swapped to a new truck. Loved the cover locking part but the rubber was pretty beat up after 3.5 years. It was never water tight tho. My Access rolling vinyl seals better. I like the hard locking but for 325 the cheap is low profile and water tight.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I have this cover. Second one as I changed TV. On my last TV the corner of the cover came loose about 3" . I called and they replaced it with a brand new cover at no charge. Great company.
I'm glad to know they honor their warranty. One of the reasons I went with the "soft" cover over the "hard" was the "soft" has a Lifetime warranty while the "hard" is only three years. Add in that the DW liked the idea of having a lighter cover to open when she is making gardening runs and the deal was done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Once you get it set up, mark the front clamps with white tape and you can get it back on with perfect alignment in no time at all.
Good idea... Hopefully I won't be taking it all the way off very often but with only a 5.5 foot bed it will happen sooner or later....
Old 01-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Have used Fold A Covers for at least 10 years towing fivers with two different trucks. Of course I have long bed trucks and have never had a problem. Bak flip from what I have seen to access the whole bed you flip them up against the rear window blocking any view. My Fold A Cover stacks on the first quarter of the bed. So even open I have aboit two feet of storage under cover. When closed it is nice and dry.
I have a Fold A Cover on my 2014 Ram and love it.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #19

I've been using a BAK Revolver X2 for two years now so far it's been great
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #20
Site Team

[QUOTE=
Good idea... Hopefully I won't be taking it all the way off very often but with only a 5.5 foot bed it will happen sooner or later....[/QUOTE]

Only time I take mine off is brush runs to landfill and hauling mulch.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cover