Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

TV bed length for large 5th Wheel

Just put in an order for a Sierra FKOK . . . 15,500 GVWR. 41' 8" length. Looking for towing vehicle guidance before buying. I am looking at a 2018 3500 Ram Laramie 4x4 with a 6' 4" bed. Should I have any concerns about the trailer front coming through my rear window when backing up into a campsite? Will I be ok with a fixed hitch or should I have a slider installed? What hitch are popular? This is my first 5th wheel, so I'm definitely a newbie and need any and all help. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Get a long bed. 2 extra feet of sotrage space is a definite plus. Turning radius will be a bit more, but you get used to it pretty fast. Also for that much fiver I would definitely get a dually. That fiver is going to be dropping around 3500 pounds directly on the rear axle, so there is no reason worrying about load.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

we went through this decision when we bought our cardinal three years ago. trailer first and then a truck to tow it with. there will be many other people on the forum that will have their own experiences, opinions, and advice. ultimately it is up to you. disclaimer: I have not experience with a short bed and slider hitch. but I know there are lot of them out there. we researched and talked to lots of people. we ended up with a ram 3500 (diesel), long bed, and dual rear wheels. as far as towing goes it is just superb! no issue with the nose hitting the cab when turning. now the cons. the turning radius is just slightly smaller than an aircraft carrier. very difficult or impossible to get it into a single parking space in many places. plan on finding two side by side and walking a bit. difficult to get into the inner rear tires to check air pressure, but extended valves stems help. the ride is hard when not towing.

we went with this truck as we tow a heavy 5th wheel and we didn't want to skimp on something that would be unsafe. you have enough issues to deal with when towing trailers of this class and the last thing you need is a problem caused by an overload or interference when turning.

whatever you end up with you will get used to it and the purpose is to facilitate your enjoyment and pleasure with the trailer.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
WFD

If you can avoid a sliding hitch...do so! They are heavy if you ever have to remove them, yes they come apart in 2 pieces normally but still heavy and a pain. Because of their sliding nature, they take up more bed space in the truck. I had one, got rid of it, and have never looked back.
There are high end ones that are likely better, so if you decide to go that route, get a good one. Get a Sidewinder pin box(your trailer may come equipped with one), then you won't need a slider even with a 6 1/2' box.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

Get a short bed, single rear wheel; and a good slider hitch. If you stay at one place for anytime at all, you will appreciate driving and parking it compared to a long bed dually (which turns like an aircraft carrier).
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

Bed length for large 5th Wheel

A little more info on what type of use you are planning may allow us to give even better advice. It sounds like you have had some experience, are you going to dry camp, kids, dogs, bikes, kayaks, etc. these all get you closer to the GVWR and add to pin weight, as well as payload weight for your truck.

What other options are on the truck your looking at, diesel, crew cab, tire size. These all add up to reduce your payload numbers. Remember even the extra weight of the hitch and any adapters reduce the payload you have left for pin weight.

Personally and it's only my opinion, I would never have a short bed without a slider. Others will disagree and that's ok that their hitch method works for them. With the slider I use, I just like the fact that I don't have to worry if I am ever going to hit my truck while turning or maneuvering , even at 90 degrees.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #7

one other thing I thought of that may or may not be appropriate. I have never used a slider hitch! on the full length bed we got the factory installed hitch mounting holes for a fixed hitch. when we take the hitch out and put the hole covers on the bed is clean. can you do the same thing with the short bed and the slider hitch?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #8

Congratulation and welcome to the forum.
You will never regret the extra space in an 8’ bed. Think toolbox and/or fuel tank. You will quickly become accustomed to turning and parking.

I never saw myself in a dually diesel.

As long as I tow this size of a rig, I will NEVER be without a dually diesel.

When you look at hitches consider an Andersen Ultimate.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

That long a camper and the weight get a dually. About the only time you will regret it is parking but you will get a little more exercise. It’s easy to overload the camper. A long bed is much nicer, I have a 100gal fuel tank in my bed
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Hi Rich5117, here's the further info as requested. We're retired and besides me and my better half we travel long distances with 3 dogs. Furthest was a 22,000 miler . . . 5 month trip . . . Massachusetts to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. That amounts to about 450 lbs against my 3780 to 3930 payload (payload diff depends on what transmission I go with). After my 2300 pin and 300 hitch I've got 700+ remaining. We do dry camp as often as we can but carry minimal water (except for Walmart, mostly State & National parks). Additional info. on the truck: GVWR 11,700, GCWR 25,300, diesel, SRW, crew cab, and LT275/70R18E or LT285/60R20E. Truck comes with A/T tires but given that I won't be doing any off-roading, should I consider all-season for smoother ride and better wear? Would you know if my listed 2300 trailer pin weight is at its GVWR?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #11

On the dually issue, it would put me well over the 26,000 GCWR and then require a CDL. I'm trying to avoid that. Do folks pull big rigs the likes of mine with an SRW? Will I be ok going that route? I'm told that a fiver doesn't sway like a TT. Help me out and thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

My bad! If I move from a crew cab to a mega cab, I can get a dually beneath the 26000 GCWR limit requiring a CDL license. Would still like input on pulling this big boy with an SRW.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

What state requires a CDL for private non commercial use?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #14

there are several states that require special licenses. they are generally special state version of a non commercial license. they seem to be required if you exceed any of the following:
GCWR greater then 26,000 lbs
vehicle length greater than 40 feet
trailer weight greater than 15,000 lbs

the states that do require a special license are inconsistent on when they are required. there are several good articles on-line that have tables of the various states requirements. the good thing is that if you have an approved license from your home state you do not have to get a special license if you travel into a state that would require one if you lived in that state.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #15

Hoping that your what state question changes my understanding of the CDL because I was just going on my understanding of FMCSA regs which say:

"Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle is a—

(1) Combination Vehicle (Group A)—having a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater"

and their definition of commerce:

"Commerce means

(1) Any trade, traffic or transportation within the jurisdiction of the United States between a place in a State and a place outside of such State, including a place outside of the United States."

I leapt to we individuals with big rigs being part of traffic. I also said to myself that why would the feds allow us less experienced individuals to be on the roads in equally big rigs? Hoping that I am wrong once again. Thanks for asking the question.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #16

And I'm from Massachusetts which is apt to have stricter reqs. than the Feds. I'll be investigating that very issue!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #17
Failure is my business

It's generally considered a non-commercial class A. Texas is one state that requires it if you're GCWR is >26k. (Not actual weights, the sum of the TV and Trailer GVWRs)

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm
Current vehicle list: 17 RAM 3500 4x4 Cummins Aisin 4.10, 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilstein 5100's Derale oil cooler, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 278,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
Days Camped: 2016: 43, 2017: 83, 2018: 44, 2019: 78
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
It's generally considered a non-commercial class A. Texas is one state that requires it if you're GCWR is >26k. (Not actual weights, the sum of the TV and Trailer GVWRs)

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

I don’t have a link handy, but MD was the same. > 26,000 lbs and you were required to have a non-commercial Class A license.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #19

Here is the AAA site for license requirements (always investigate more with your state DMV site). It appears that for Massachusetts that any trailer over 10K pounds you need the class "A" license. Seems they are just like California.

Not sure on the commercial/non commercial version of the license like California has.

Types of Driver's Licenses - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #20

I have a 2015 Ram pretty much exactly as you mentioned with a very similar sized 5th wheel. I use a Pullrite hitch that slides automatically and I never have to worry about hitting the cab. I do however have issues with the trailer getting very close to the bed rails on uneven ground because the trucks are very tall these days and the bed rails are tall. In order to be as close to level as I can get I have about 5.5 inches of clearance to the bed rails at best. This has nothing to with hitch selection, just FYI on the way they are all building the HD trucks now.

I have seen many people with the same truck using a standard hitch and they claim they have no need for a slider. It amazes me because even with the slider mine gets within a couple of inches of the cab on tight turns. I am using the factory under the bed hitch system with a Reese picture frame adapter and the Pullrite is built for standard rails which is what the picture frame mimics.It puts my hitch just right over the axle. I wonder if some of the guys not using sliders are putting the hitch a few inches back which is not desirable in my book.

The Pullrite is certainly heavy. I have a roll up bed cover so I usually just keep it in the bed unless I have to take it out for some reason. I am able to take it out and put it in by myself in two pieces but to be honest I'm a big guy and it ain't easy. Not difficult, just heavy as all heck and cumbersome.

A long bed would be nice. A dually would be better. But if that isn't what you want then this will work. Lots of people swear by the Anderson setup, I have no experience with that.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, bed, wheel