Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #1

Bed Rail Clearance Question

I just got a new truck. 2013 Ram 3500 dually. I went with a new hitch from the dealer. It has the Ram name on it but it is a Curt 20K. It has three set of holes for vertical adjustment with 2" of adjustment from one to the other. I originally started in the middle holes and found my Crusader RES325 fifth wheel wasn't quite level, it was slightly high at the hitch. I adjusted to the bottom holes to level the rig but now I am concerned about the space between the trailer and the top of the bed rails. I have about 5.5 inches on the passenger side and about 4.5 inches on the driver side. My rig always listed slightly to the driver side. I assume this is due to a very large heavy slide on that side.
I'm wondering about your thoughts, is that too close? Anybody had similiar issues? Recommendations?
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

I think the min. clearance should be 6 inches. Are you running Air bags on your truck? if so adjust the air pressure to get the trailer leveled.
Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

It would be to close for me but I pull my trailer offroad like at Pismo beach and so on. I have always set my 5ers up at 6'' to 7'' but a street rig if you watch out for steep uneven departures and approaches you should be fine. I found the adjustment on the hitch really never made a big enough difference to matter much . I always made my clearance up by trailer suspension, like flipping springs or taller tires and once I even went to a frame shop and had a 2'' sub frame welded inn to keep the stock spring set up and to add shocks . I have 4ers and two different trucks both with airbags and had to make changes to everyone of them .
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

There are 3 spacers under the springs on a 3500 Dodge that can be removed to lower the rear end by about 2 inches. Doesn't affect the load capacity and levels the truck front to back as a bonus.
2020 Ram 3500 Dually with HD Cummins TD
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

Completely stock suspension, no bags.
I will check into the spacers. Thanks for the input. I will pass on whatever results I wind up with.
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed