Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

beginner

I have a 2014 santa fe limited. Towing capacity with brakes is 5000lbs. Does the trailer come with brakes or do I get them installed later. I am considering a 2104S Mini Lite. Can I safely tow this trailer with my SUV. How do I find out the tongue capacity. I can't find it anywhere in the specs. I have the factory hitch installed

thanks so much

mike

Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Ok let's break this down. First let's look at the tt you picked out. The 2104s mini lite (TT) has a dry weight of 3865 lbs and a cargo capacity of 943 lbs which gives it a gvwr of 4808 lbs. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight. In this case we will use gvwr to calculate a tongue weight of 625-721 lbs.

Now let's talk about your Santa fe. We don't have enough info to tell you yes or no but here is how to figure it out. Ideally if you can go weigh your Santa fe (TV) with a full tank of fuel and all passengers,pets and cargo you intend to have in it when towing. Look for a cat scale in your area or you can try a local feed store or dump for a scale. You want to weigh each axle separately but also get a combined weight. At a cat scale this can be done by putting front axle on pad 1 and rear axle on pad 2. Now take your total vehicle weight and subtract it from the Santa fe's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity (this will likely be lower than the quoted 5000 lbs). Next take your total vehicle weight and subtract it from the gvwr to get your available payload. Your tongue weight must be less than the available payload. Now subtract the rear axle weight from the grawr to see how much room is available on the rear axle.

If you are unable to weigh then go look inside your drivers side door for a tire loading sticker. It will say occupants and cargo should weigh less than x pounds. This is before the weight of passengers, pets, gear, etc. Subtract the weight of those items and people and you will get a poor man's version of available payload.

I'm betting this trailer will be over on one or more specs for your Santa fe. I would go smaller/lighter.

By the way, trailers come with the brakes on them, you need to have a brake controller installed on your Santa fe if you don't have one already. A proportional brake controller like prodigy P2 or P3 is recommended if you don't have a factory integrated brake controller. You need a seven round connector for the trailer pig tail to connect into.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Good stuff, asquared. I have a handful of tools to help with these calculations. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Ok let's break this down. First let's look at the tt you picked out. The 2104s mini lite (TT) has a dry weight of 3865 lbs and a cargo capacity of 943 lbs which gives it a gvwr of 4808 lbs. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight. In this case we will use gvwr to calculate a tongue weight of 625-721 lbs.
You can get a good estimation for tongue weight by using the dry weights and extrapolating from there:
Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner

For a TT, I'd either not increase the tongue weight percentage any or maybe use 1%. It's not like fifth wheels where it typically increases 2-3%.

Quote:
Now let's talk about your Santa fe. We don't have enough info to tell you yes or no but here is how to figure it out. Ideally if you can go weigh your Santa fe (TV) with a full tank of fuel and all passengers,pets and cargo you intend to have in it when towing. Look for a cat scale in your area or you can try a local feed store or dump for a scale. You want to weigh each axle separately but also get a combined weight. At a cat scale this can be done by putting front axle on pad 1 and rear axle on pad 2. Now take your total vehicle weight and subtract it from the Santa fe's gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity (this will likely be lower than the quoted 5000 lbs). Next take your total vehicle weight and subtract it from the gvwr to get your available payload. Your tongue weight must be less than the available payload. Now subtract the rear axle weight from the grawr to see how much room is available on the rear axle.
If you weigh, here's a tool to help you take the weight slips and get workable numbers from them:
Towing Calculator after getting weighed - Towing Planner

Quote:
If you are unable to weigh then go look inside your drivers side door for a tire loading sticker. It will say occupants and cargo should weigh less than x pounds. This is before the weight of passengers, pets, gear, etc. Subtract the weight of those items and people and you will get a poor man's version of available payload.
If you don't weigh, you can use the above instructions for a tool like this:
Towing Calculator based on Truck&#39;s Payload/CCC - Towing Planner
Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #4

If the Santa Fe is anything like my Hyundai Entourage, there will be precious little tow information available beyond the towing capacity. But I would do a good web search first to see if there are more official figures.

As was stated, the poor man's approach to the payload/tongue weight question is the differerence between the sticker on the door, and the curb weight figure in your owner's manual. Remember, passengers and all gear in the Santa Fe counts as payload, weight above and beyond curb weight. Assuming there is no combined gross weight limit available, the payload/tongue weight is going to be the critical number.

Given the weight and windage of the RV, you are going to be loading your Santa Fe pretty close to max.

Likely modifications you will want to make to the Santa Fe:

- brake controller (along with 7 pin wiring)
- transmission cooler (the Entourage came standard with a big separate tranny cooler so I didn't need this)
- installed hitch capable of 1000lbs tongue weight (with WDH), 5000lbs towed weight)
- weight distributing hitch suitable for the tongue weight
- good tires on the Santa Fe, preferably P-metrics that can be inflated over 40PSI (my Michelins can go to 45PSI, I generally tow at 40).

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with 3.5L V6
2014 Rockwood A122 - 2500-2700 lbs as towed (depends mostly on water tank)
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 WDH

PS To be honest, even though the minivan is rated to tow 3500lbs, I would not want to go that heavy a trailer in the Colorado mountains. The WDH has proved critical to making the minivan handle nearly as well towing as when not towing.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Congratulations, you are asking all the right questions now instead of later. That said it was fun to research your Hyundai and the tt. Found info at car and driver web site that you have a car that iis about 4000lb with 5000lb towing capacity and 500 tongue wt or 750 with weight dist. hitch that you would need. I couldn't find this at Hyundai, though just Car and Driver. Sounds like you would be close to capacity limits but could fit there with careful packing of both. Your car dealer can best assist you since it is very likely under warranty.
travel trailer looks great at site.

If you decide to go forward brake controller will be needed as everyone mentioned and tranny cooler if car dealer can do with out voiding warranty.
Good luck, I have friends that have tt that are close to there tv capacity but keep them close to home and do well. Is it possible to test tow before purchase, ask see if you like it.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for all the info It is a great place to get started
I greatly appreciate it

mike