Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Bent Frame, what to do?

Hello all,

My TV, a 2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 was rear ended by a Dodge Ram going about 35 mph. First off, everyone is ok and the van did well protecting us. The hitch took the majority of the impact which in turn has bent and buckled the frame in the rear. The body shop said that normally they would just straighten the frame back out but it would never be as strong as before making towing unsafe. Or they could replace the entire frame which would involve basically rebuilding the entire vehicle. I really don't like either option and I REALLY don't like having to cancel all our camping trips! I feel like this is going to really hurt my resale value as well as long term reliability. So what would you all do? I am expecting the insurance adjuster to visit soon from the OP's insurance company. This is my first accident and I don't want to get screwed!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
DDC

If it can't be used to do what it could before it should be a right off, but you really need to wait for the insurance report.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Why not explain your predicament to your own insurance agent and see if they will give you some advice. I sounds as if the van might not be repairable so as to 100% meet it's intended use as a tow vehicle.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

X3. They should consider it a total loss. They operative word is SHOULD. Def argue your point. Your neck and back hurt too......right?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Another rat in the race

Insist on a new frame or the old one as strong as before the accident. If you can't tow with it then there is significant safety concerns for the next accident. the cost will probably total it. spend literally days figuring up all the mods and costs. Submit that to them, remember just because you did it once doesn't mean you should do it again, so if you added something yourself the cost should be for someone else to add it this time. Then make them buy you another one or take the check and get the next one. That's the best way to do it.

It sucks all the way around, but in the end remember this phrase "you must be made WHOLE" that is their phrase, and make sure to use it whenever they want to cheapen up the claim.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
X3. They should consider it a total loss. They operative word is SHOULD. Def argue your point. Your neck and back hurt too......right?
Lol, darn morals get in the way every time!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Insist on a new frame the cost will probably total it. .
With a new frame it was something like 10k in repairs. Mostly 3-4k for the frame and 34 hrs to replace it. It was 33% of the value of the vehicle on his computer. But what would it be like after the repair/5 years down the road. And resale?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Another rat in the race

Remember the insurance agent wants you to take the check. Cashing that check clears them and you cant do anything from that point further. Take your time and you can even insist that they find a 3500 same year or newer and same or better mileage (color is not negotiable) and hand it over to you. Make them do the work, and ALWAYS wait 24hrs before accepting any deal they give you. Just say let me sleep on it and Ill get back to you. They may not budge but you won't be as suckered after you have weighed your options over night.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
With a new frame it was something like 10k in repairs. Mostly 3-4k for the frame and 34 hrs to replace it. It was 33% of the value of the vehicle on his computer. But what would it be like after the repair/5 years down the road. And resale?
If they put a whole new frame on it should be fine. but go to a body shop you trust you don't have to use the one they say. And let the body shop handle the money when you pick it up then pay the deducible that's the way "good" body shops work. And if you never touched the check then when they find more damage, and they will, the insurance is still on the hook.

insist on a body warranty (most shops give 5 yrs to life) and get to know your body shop adjuster they will recommend other things that might be worn that you might be able to just pay for the part since the ins. is paying for the labor. They cannot double bill its a FELONY. Example might be body mounts.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #10

Even with a repair you're looking at never getting the real value out of the vehicle when you go to sell it. With carfax and other services buyers are better informed and passing on cars that have accident damage. If you repair and keep it be sure you get money based on the diminished value of the vehicle. It should be the difference of what it costs to buy the same vehicle with no damage vs buying a repaired one.

Stick to your guns and good luck.

2013 Cardinal 3030RL
B&W Companion Hitch
ďTrail AirĒ air bag pin box
jt1920 is offline   Reply With Quote