Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Best 5th wheel hitch for 6 1/2 bed truck

Looking at purchasing a 5th wheel. Do I need the best of the best hitch out there? What are your recommendations? Do I need a sliding hitch? I have a 2015 2500 HD
kmcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #2

You don't necessarily need one, but they do provide some piece of mind and one less thing to worry about when you are pulling into a tight spot

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Lots of opinions both ways here. Me, I have a slider and think it is the safe solution. I have a PullRite Super Glide and very happy with it. It automatically pushes back to provide cab clearance in tight corners especially when backing up.
It is nice to not have to worry about it. I just go on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Depends on your fiver. Mine is made to use with a 6.5ft bed. I've gone over 90 degrees to maneuver with zero clearance issues. I have a V Cross. I use a Reese's Goosebox hitch so no slider needed with my unit.

Look at the v nose. This in on the same gm 2500 but a 2014
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

PullRite auto slider for sure.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

I have the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. To me, it's worth it's weight in gold! Eliminates 70%-80% of the "chucking", improved ride and works wonders in tight spots.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jallen02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
I have the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. To me, it's worth it's weight in gold! Eliminates 70%-80% of the "chucking", improved ride and works wonders in tight spots.
Pull Rite should be your choice
jallen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #8

I have a Curt Q20 manual slider and have never had to use it even tho I live on a cul-de-sac and have to turn around just to get my 5th wheel back into my back yard....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

Not a requirement to have a slider, but as others have mentioned if it gives you piece of mind, that can be as valuable as any other requirement. I have a slider and a non-slider hitch, i tend to use the non-slider 90% of the time. The slider is a bear to get in and out of the bed of the truck weight wise as I use my truck for more than just a TV. I also figure that if Im in a spot so tight where the slider is needed, I probably don't need to be there. Lots of things to consider but the most important one is what your requirements are.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #10

5W Hitch for 6.5' bed

Pullrite SuperGlide is the way to go. No worries, no doubts, positive lock-up, beefy and strong.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
Amazing what a closely guarded secret these hitches are. That would be the one I went for. I have the Reese Sidewinder, but didn't get the Airborne portion. Have had two with the Airborne on long bed and didn't need the sidewinder. Have shortbed now and forgot how much better the ride was with the Airborne type hitches. Got the sidewinder out of necessity. Didn't realize the backing and maneuvering benefits of it. The pivot being moved back 22 inches makes a hugh difference and I have pulled 5th wheels for many years. The pullrite accomplishes some of the clearance issues, but does nothing for the manuvering while backing and tracking benefits. My opinion and didn't realize it until I had one.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Torpedo View Post
Pullrite SuperGlide is the way to go. No worries, no doubts, positive lock-up, beefy and strong.

I completely agree. I have a Pullrite superglide. It's a great hitch.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #13

I have a pullright superglide, it rides nice and don't have to worry about pulling in my driveway when we get home.
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

I have a 2015 Chevy HD and a PT Crusader fiver. The nose is tapered on each side to eliminate the need for a slider hitch with the 6-1/2' bed. My hitch is a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch. My dealer split the additional cost of this hitch over a conventional hitch with bed rails. So glad I went with the Turnover Ball, clean bed with no rails and love the hitch. Go online and read about the Companion hitch. The most prevalent comment you will read is, "this is the last hitch you will ever buy". After pulling my fiver I could not agree more.

2016 PT Crusader 335BHS
2015 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country
Lskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335bhs View Post
I have a 2015 Chevy HD and a PT Crusader fiver. The nose is tapered on each side to eliminate the need for a slider hitch with the 6-1/2' bed. My hitch is a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch. My dealer split the additional cost of this hitch over a conventional hitch with bed rails. So glad I went with the Turnover Ball, clean bed with no rails and love the hitch. Go online and read about the Companion hitch. The most prevalent comment you will read is, "this is the last hitch you will ever buy". After pulling my fiver I could not agree more.
No doubt those are good hitches, but they do nothing to improve the clearance on cab strikes on trailers that don't have enough indention to clear the cab. Also won't help the rail strikes from the rear of the pinbox either. The one on my camper was tapered where the pinbox is mounted to the camper. This kept the back of pinbox off rail. Also had enough cut back on the front of camper to clear the back of cab and could turn almost 90 Degrees. Problem I had was backing into a camping spot and there was a dip between road and campsite and instant dent about 2 inches wide just above rear window in back of cab. The turnover Ball and Companion hitch would have had the same problem.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen02 View Post
Pull Rite should be your choice

When I purchased my camper(from my cousin),he included everything, including the rails, Reese 16k 5th wheel, wineguard auto acquire satellite, etc. The camper had the OEM pin box on it and it was not an issue for him because he had a standard bed. I was not going to spend $800-$1300 for a 5th wheel when I just spent 20K on a toy hauler(with everything included). I used the OEM pin box for over a year and was careful when backing into the tight parking spot I have. I researched for about a month and decided to swap out my OEM pin box with the 5th airborne sidewinder. Personally, I made the right choice, will it be right for others? Maybe, maybe not but I can guarantee you if you have a slider with a ridged OEM pin box the ride will be horrible. If you have a standard 5th wheel with a 5th Airborne w/or without the sidewinder, your ride will improve dramatically, guaranteed!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke5rbd View Post
Amazing what a closely guarded secret these hitches are. That would be the one I went for. I have the Reese Sidewinder, but didn't get the Airborne portion. Have had two with the Airborne on long bed and didn't need the sidewinder. Have shortbed now and forgot how much better the ride was with the Airborne type hitches. Got the sidewinder out of necessity. Didn't realize the backing and maneuvering benefits of it. The pivot being moved back 22 inches makes a hugh difference and I have pulled 5th wheels for many years. The pullrite accomplishes some of the clearance issues, but does nothing for the manuvering while backing and tracking benefits. My opinion and didn't realize it until I had one.
It is somewhat of a pain to hook and unhook until you find the "sweet spot", which I have found. To me the 5 minutes of aggravation with hooking/unhooking is quickly diminished as soon as I get on these smooth roads we have in South Louisiana

Tags
5th wheel, bed, hitch, truck, wheel