Old 06-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #31

I actually installed a Superglide in my fathers previous truck a year or two ago. I was impressed with the overall function of the hitch but I was NOT a fan of the fact you couldn't hitch at any angle. Many camp sites I go to (IE racetracks) I end up jack knifing my current trailer into the site. I also wasn't impressed with the amount of slop in the joints which allowed movement and created noise.

I feel like i'd like a manual slider more than an auto due to these issues.

I appreciate all the responses thus far!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #32

B&W turnover ball and B&W 5th wheel companion.
Have had the same setup in 4 different trucks. My dad had it in his truck (short box SRW) and my FIL has it in his too(long box DRW).

I have a Pull Rite Super Glide 24K just sitting in my barn collecting dust if you want to buy that on the cheap. I don't have a use for it. LMK I'm in the Cincinnati Ohio area.

Most new 5th wheels do not need a slider. The nose is built to work with a short box. Like my 2011 Sabre 32BHOK.

American company, American made, Best damn hitch on the market period.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #33

I'll stick with my manual slider.
It's not rocket science to figure out when to slide.

There's a thread on here, with a auto slider capture plate broken off.

Manual slides are dead nuts simple.

Also, depends on your location.
I have talked to people up here, about pulling with an auto slider on slippery roads.
The auto has a tendency to want to actually slide the rear of the truck over.

Another note.. The factory prep can be added after the fact. Easy and cheap to do.
The brackets are there. Just need the pucks and a few holes.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #34
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I found the combination of a turn over ball and the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch to be a good setup. Many reasons to recommend but for me it was the light 32# weight makes it so easy to remove by myself. The other reason was the Andersen saved me 100# or more of lost payload. At the very least its worth a look.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #35

I'll stay with a auto slide. I don't like getting out in bad or the rain to hassle with switching it and then again to put it back.
I have had 3 manual slides and their is no comparison to a auto slide.
I think if you ever tried one you would agree.
A lot of Windows and dented cabs have happened because someone didn't pull the manual slide.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #36

I have a Curt 20k with manual slide. Everything works great and never had to use the slide and I have a short bed DRW.
Most new trailers don't need the slide with a short bed. The front corners of the trailer are cut on a 45 deg.
All auto slides need a special plate which prevents you from helping a buddy move his 5th wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayton View Post
I'll stay with a auto slide. I don't like getting out in bad or the rain to hassle with switching it and then again to put it back.

You going to stay in your truck when you get to the campsite too?
What if it's raining!!! 😜

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #38
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I have a Curt 20k with manual slide. Everything works great and never had to use the slide and I have a short bed DRW.
Most new trailers don't need the slide with a short bed. The front corners of the trailer are cut on a 45 deg.
All auto slides need a special plate which prevents you from helping a buddy move his 5th wheel.

BS.....the capture plate has 1 set screw... loosen it, capture plate off pin-box, trailer can be towed by any hitch. Lock up slider action by drill'n, as I have, 1 hole in each slider rail to trap hitch head into a stationary position, and away we go...with a different 5er.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
BS.....the capture plate has 1 set screw... loosen it, capture plate off pin-box, trailer can be towed by any hitch. Lock up slider action by drill'n, as I have, 1 hole in each slider rail to trap hitch head into a stationary position, and away we go...

Too much work , specially in the rain. Why spent over $1K when you don't need it with the new trailer designs. Your just wasting your money and it takes up the entire bed of your truck.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #40
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I don't have your money to buy a new one, so I found a way to do what I need to do....I have an 8' bed, but need to carry a trike (scooter) also...I've got a platform that uses the top of bed rails, from side to side, behind cab......in order to save the scooter fender and tire/wheel, I lower the pass side of platform into bed and pick-up more turn'n clearance..... then with auto-slider, makes life much simpler.....and, I can get the unit out of the bed, by myself, if required. Hitch was under $500. due to already hav'n rails.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel