Old 12-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #11

B and B I have done both. Pinching the TBC to apply only the trailer brakes to pull the trailer straight assuming you have a TBC is MUCH quicker and more effective than trying to accelerate the trailer out of sway. No matter what motor or gear. I am sure every Mfg and SAE would confirm that. Somebody probably even has it in their owners manual.

I was in a truck (not driving) that had to try the acceleration method as it had no TBC years ago. If it had not been near the bottom of a hill that immediately went back up it would have been a disastrous wreck that day. Bumper pulling a trailer with a diesel engine set off to one side and a low tire. This thing went from a whats that first wiggle feel while sitting in the passenger seat to seeing the side of the trailer looking past the driver out his side window in a few seconds. Yea not paying attention we picked up speed coming down the hill.

BTW I keep suggesting on Mfg related/sponsored forums to move the pinch slider from the dash to the back side of the steering wheel where you could pull the slider toward you without taking your eyes off the road or hands from the steering wheel. This is precisely the moment you don't want to do either to look for remove a hand from the wheel and reach to the slider on the dash. Its a really stupid design that could easily be fixed and perhaps safe a life.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post

Many tow vehicles have a utility that performs this while towing if tow/haul is engaged. The computer in the TV detects the oscillations and applies the appropriate braking to end the sway.
I don't think this is quite correct. I believe only Ford applies the trailer brakes as part of the anti-sway control. All others apply brakes of tow vehicle very rapidly and independently at all four corners to keep the TV under control. So the trailer can continue to oscillate but the theory is as long as the TV is under control, you slow down. Ford does both and it works well. Kicked in for me twice over the years and happened right when I was starting to get anxious. So, long before a panic situation.

JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #13

When I was a young corporal in the military sitting in the passenger seat. The driver I was with was hauling a tilt bed trailer with a RTFL (rough terrain fork lift). The truck was a SMP (Standard Military Pattern)5 Ton truck with raised racked sides on it carrying about 414 5 Gallon jerrycans of gas and diesel . While driving down a fairly long hill the trl started to pick up speed and fishtail. The driver applied the trailer air brakes which failed to engage. Then the foot brake of the truck making it worse as we were swaying from one lane into oncoming traffic and back it was so violent that the jerrycans were bouncing out and landing on the road and flying into the ditch. ďOnly after I yelled at the driver to floor it did the vehicle straighten up. I used some pretty foul language directed at him to slow @&Ē$@ down! Once we were straighten out. Good thing to know if your trailer brakes fail. If I didnít remember being told by my father I think I would have not made it.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
I don't think this is quite correct. I believe only Ford applies the trailer brakes as part of the anti-sway control. All others apply brakes of tow vehicle very rapidly and independently at all four corners to keep the TV under control. So the trailer can continue to oscillate but the theory is as long as the TV is under control, you slow down. Ford does both and it works well. Kicked in for me twice over the years and happened right when I was starting to get anxious. So, long before a panic situation.
Oh, but it is correct. I have had this feature on two Chevy Tahoes and on my current Silverado. All have stabili-track with anti-sway control. It is uncanny when it engages all of a sudden when a sway starts. Scared the willy-nilly out of me when it first happened.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKain View Post
Sway is something no one likes, and yet it happens sometimes. I've seen scary dash cam videos of trailers and tow vehicles rolling over in cases where sway got out of control. Some folks have told me that in the event that you sense sway getting to the point that you feel it might be dangerous, the best procedure is to take your foot off the gas and then pinch the brake control activator most new pickups have on their dashboard. The idea seems to be that assuming you've previously adjusted it so that it activates the trailer brakes before the truck brakes, activating the brake controller will momentarily slow the trailer (but not the truck) and cause the trailer to get re-aligned with the truck's direction of travel. Would most experienced towers recommend this as the best emergency procedure in such a situation? It goes without saying that you should try to avoid sway as much as possible by proper loading, tire pressures, reasonable speed limits, etc. The question relates to the situation where all else has failed.
I caught a crosswind gust at the bottom of a mountain pass; the tv automatic sway control kicked in before I could react. Extremely effective and somewhat startling.
I agree with others replies, I slow down when nearing the bottom of a mountain pass with high shoulders.
myxkp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:01 AM   #16

Accelerate while using the manual option on the brake controller
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Oh, but it is correct. I have had this feature on two Chevy Tahoes and on my current Silverado. All have stabili-track with anti-sway control. It is uncanny when it engages all of a sudden when a sway starts. Scared the willy-nilly out of me when it first happened.
Hence the disclaimer.

It's been a while since I checked. Looks like Ram is still doing tow vehicle only though.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
It works well for me also. I have been told that accelerating with the tow vehicle at the same time as applying the trailer brakes helps even more, but so far the brakes-only method has worked fine.
I have had on instance where I encountered a severe sway from a rouge wind. In that instance, I manually applied the trailer brake controller while using the accelerator with the tow vehicle. It brought the trailer in line. Decelerating under these circumstances would have put the unit out of control because the direction of the tow vehicle is being determined by the trailer. Power to the TV while braking will override the sway.

It is similar to having a blow out on a vehicle or single axle trailer. The first reaction is to apply the brakes and slow down. But that can put the vehicle completely out of control. Accelerate enough to gain control, then slow down.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #19

I got in a sway incident a couple years ago. I did not slow down, slowing the TV down will make the TT try to pass it. I had forgotten about the brake controller had a slide to apply the brakes (panic took over and my BF yelling "KEEP THE CAR STRAIGHT). Went about a mile and the swaying stopped. Just took me 10 minutes to stop shaking.
Camping
2017- 27 days
2018- 100 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #20

The sway is actually the trailer trying to go faster than the TV and get in front of it (More frequent on down hill but possible on flat ground too due to circumstances).

Activating the trailer brakes slows it down and stops the sway.

Your trailer brakes should be adjusted correctly.

The Trailer Brake Controller should be adjusted so that the Trailer Brakes will bring your entire rig to a stop from about 15 MPH without touching the brake pedal at all

Tags
sway