Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #21
Bjgill17

Ours started first being slow , we thought it was battery, but now it is so loud, the thing sounds like it is going to burn up. I just don't trust it
bjgill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgill17 View Post
Ours started first being slow , we thought it was battery, but now it is so loud, the thing sounds like it is going to burn up. I just don't trust it
Mine started out slow as well. I didn't notice it getting louder but it may have. It just got slower and slower until one 96 degree day I got back to the yard where I store it and nothing worked. It was still hooked up to my TV and I checked the battery levels and all was good there. I'm hoping the wiring they fixed will do the trick.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #23

Curious about the Barker. Go to this page on Amazon and it appears the two Barker jacks listed are cosmetically close to each other with the only difference being in 6 inches additional lift for an extra $120.

Amazon.com: barker tongue jack
Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

I went with the Husky Brute 4500 from Amazon, not because it's the cheapest (it isn't), but because it seems to me to be the best bang-for-the-buck. Ball-screw design, time-saving drop-leg included, higher rating is more than I need, but should equate to being more conservative for my 5200 lbs loaded camper.

4500 lb rating for $200, shipped to my door in 2 days (Amazon Prime).
If the Barker had a ball screw design, and was rated at 4500 lbs, and had a drop leg, I'd consider paying another $100 to have American made.
As it is, they are not comparable.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I went with the Husky Brute 4500 from Amazon, not because it's the cheapest (it isn't), but because it seems to me to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

4500 lb rating for $200, shipped to my door in 2 days (Amazon Prime).
If the Barker had a ball screw design, and was rated at 4500 lbs, I'd consider paying another $100 to have American made.
Not sure what the difference is in the Barker versus one with a ball screw design, but I do have to question why you felt the need for one rated at 4500lbs on a lightweight hybrid????
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #26
Bjgill17

Ok, since I started this thread just a couple of days ago, my Lippert has totally quit after trying to raise and lower it a few times in our back yard. THANK GOODNESS my husband got it to manually raise enough to get it on the truck. I have called FOREST RIVER WARRANTY REP at the FOREST RIVER COMPANY themselves, told him I DO NOT WANT another Lippert power tongue jack. He and my dealer spoke, and I am now going to have a Husky 4000 installed at price of the difference of Lippert and Husky. The Barker, going this route would have cost more and just as much as I could have bought a Barker thru Amazon.com. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING BY YOUR IMPUTS !!!! I would feel lost without you fellow owners!!!��
Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #27
Bjgill17

The dealer could not find a 3500 Husky so I am going with the 4000. The 3500 Barker would have been cheaper if I went and bought it myself,
Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #28

The only Husky lifts I saw on Amazon were 3,000, 4,500 and 5,000 pound capacity. Funny thing is the 3,000 pound unit was the most expensive. Go figure. In most cases the jack is used to raise the trailer and the truck to hook up the WD hitch. Not sure of how much weight is there when lifting the truck/trailer combo but it's definitely a lot more than just raising the trailer. Bigger lifting power numbers is a good thing (sorta like the old saying about engines that there is no substitute for cubic inches).

Now, don't y'all get me wrong and jump my case, (I think the Barker is a good product) but is the Barker unit "Made" in the USA or is it "assembled" in the USA. Looking at a picture of their facility I can see where it's possible to assemble them there but doesn't indicate anything near the capacity to make the unit.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Not sure what the difference is in the Barker versus one with a ball screw design, but I do have to question why you felt the need for one rated at 4500lbs on a lightweight hybrid????
I can't speak for brakeman but on my equalizer hitch, I have to lift the trailer tongue AND the rear-end of the truck in order to release the tension from the trunnion bars.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
I can't speak for brakeman but on my equalizer hitch, I have to lift the trailer tongue AND the rear-end of the truck in order to release the tension from the trunnion bars.
That's true. But I've got the 3K Barker and I estimate 1200-1300lb TW. And I can easily lift that and the rear end of a 2015 F250 to easily clear to install and remove the bars on my Equalizer hitch.

Edit: On second thought, I might have the 3500.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That's true. But I've got the 3K Barker and I estimate 1200-1300lb TW. And I can easily lift that and the rear end of a 2015 F250 to easily clear to install and remove the bars on my Equalizer hitch.

Edit: On second thought, I might have the 3500.
Noted. Thanks for the tip
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hitch, power