Old 07-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Drive a Ford F-350 diesel at work and I would never purchase one. Just recently test drove them all. I purchased a3500 GMC Duramax. The acceleration on the Duramax was just far superior. I was leaning towards the Dodge Based on pricing, but it seamed very outdated for a brand new truck. Plus it's ugly and I don't want to give Fiat my money.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
I have a question. When do axel limits and tire ratings rein in the horsepower race. l'm planning to tour the west. It seems that a gas 2500 HD would be useless. Any consensus on that.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Vietnam Veteran

With the weight of your rig I would for sure go diesel. I have my own likes but to be honest all big three make great trucks, drive them all and pick your favorite. Pay close attention to tow ratings as that is what you should be most concerned with. Enjoy the fun of shopping.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

pontiacdan45: Depending on your travels out west and then what you do when you return is the question. If your 2500 is working for you now then For the trip west you may encounter some small issues with towing but is it worth the money to up grade. No. Can you justify the extra expense of a diesel? I'd say no. That's where all my decisions were made. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #15

I just logged over 2,000 on my Ford F350 Diesel after trading in my Chevy 2500hd Diesel that I towed with for about 7,000 miles. I really like the F350 and it was upgraded for me. The Chevy locked out 6th gear in the tow haul mode which increased the RPMs and cab noise level plus the cab had lot wind/road noise in the cab. Ford is much less noise empty or towing. The Chevy would shift into forth a lot and the Ford rarely leaves 6th gear and I think it only shifted into 4 a couple of times in Colorado – I guess that to be expended since the Ford has higher HP and Torque ratings. I think Chevy has a better ride than the Ford (I know comparing 3500 – 2500) – even the 3500 Chevy I test drove I think rode road better than my F350. I really like the power folding and extending mirrors, and number pad on the door. The fast heater options will blow hot air out the heater vents before I can back it out of the garage. 2015 Ford reviews rate the F350 as the fastest 0-60 times for any HD diesel truck.

Mine is Single Rear Wheel which limits me to lighter 5er than the OP wants but I thinks any of big three DRW will work for you. Drive them all in both tow haul and with exhaust brake and be sure to drive them at highway speeds and buy the one you like best. Probably if RAM had one that would fit in my garage I would be driving RAM since I have never owned one before.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #16

I agree with that weight a diesel with a exhaust brake will perform best. We have a ram 3500 4x4 mega cab but you really need to check them all out and buy the one you like. With the short bed we have a pull rite slider hitch. I think the extra cost for a diesel is definitely worth the money.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #17
Site Team

Definitely go with a crew cab dually with a diesel engine. You will want an exhaust brake as they make a huge difference coming down the mountain passes. I have the chevy 3500 duramax SRW and it handles my 12300 lb fiver no issues and that included going up and down a very long 8.5% mountain grade here in NC.

Looking at the big 3, they all have models to get and models to stay away from. Duallies can often be found cheaper than single rear wheel trucks. I bought a used 09 f250 with the 6.4 diesel and regretted it for all of the issues it had including barely making it home from our Florida trip. You will hear stories like that for every brand. Honestly, try to find a last year's model new truck on sale cheap. I would get 4x4, you won't regret having it but you might regret not having it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #18

If you're fine with driving a diesel dually, any of the 3 brands within the last couple years will work. The nice thing about going new is that you don't have to worry about what the previous owner did or didn't do to the truck. That said, you can certainly find a used gem that could save you tens of thousands.

I would only consider a single rear wheel truck only if you can't, or won't drive the dually. If that's the case, I would say you need to look at new almost exclusively as they've only made them available with the neccessary payload in the last year or two. (I could be wrong with regard to the RAMS though, so please research)

Test drive a few of them (old and new) and decide what works for you, the family, and your budget.

Side note - Didn't see the ages of the kids, but if you use car seats with LATCH, only Chevy and RAM has the lower tethers. Since we have a FORD, we have the Britax Clicktight series that uses the seatbelt.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnamadison View Post
If you're fine with driving a diesel dually, any of the 3 brands within the last couple years will work. The nice thing about going new is that you don't have to worry about what the previous owner did or didn't do to the truck. That said, you can certainly find a used gem that could save you tens of thousands.

I would only consider a single rear wheel truck only if you can't, or won't drive the dually. If that's the case, I would say you need to look at new almost exclusively as they've only made them available with the neccessary payload in the last year or two. (I could be wrong with regard to the RAMS though, so please research)

Test drive a few of them (old and new) and decide what works for you, the family, and your budget.

Side note - Didn't see the ages of the kids, but if you use car seats with LATCH, only Chevy and RAM has the lower tethers. Since we have a FORD, we have the Britax Clicktight series that uses the seatbelt.
Ditto, totally agree with jnamadison. Also, I do own an earlier Dodge Ram 07, which I love, however the newer Rams have a much higher tow rating. The Cummins will pull the world, but you want to be safe and within limits.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #20

So if anyone is still following this, we finally made our purchase. We got the deal of a lifetime on a brand new 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab long bed dually with the Aisin transmission. We wanted to make sure we had plenty of towing cushion and this truck definitely gives us that. We are still waiting for some modifications to be done to our rig, but hopefully we will be on the road in a few weeks!
For us in the end, it came down to what was the max amount of options and towing capacity we could get for the cheapest.
Thanks for everyone for their input. Seriously, you've all been amazing and I can't tell you how much it means to me that you took the time to reply to my questions. The RVing community is just so great, and this is exactly why we feel so good making this big decision to live this lifestyle.

Tags
tow vehicle