Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGlo View Post
I have a Duramax and love it.
How's your fuel mileage?

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #82

Fuel Mi

14 mpg not to bad, Truck is a 2018 3500HD Dually, pull a Montana HC362RD, fells like it not there. Great Truck.
EdGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #83

Quote:
14 mpg not to bad, Truck is a 2018 3500HD Dually, pull a Montana HC362RD, fells like it not there. Great Truck.
That's pretty decent 14 mpg pulling a fiver. Thanks

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #84

2014 GMC 2500HD w/Duramax. I have a TT just a little south of 10K loaded and on occasion I hit as high a 16mpg with ideal conditions. Very pleased with the Max. Neighbor has a 2004 and pulls a 40' Montana with it. He's on 11 years now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:58 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
2014 GMC 2500HD w/Duramax. I have a TT just a little south of 10K loaded and on occasion I hit as high a 16mpg with ideal conditions. Very pleased with the Max. Neighbor has a 2004 and pulls a 40' Montana with it. He's on 11 years now.
That's what I've found an average of 16mpg hwy pulling a fiver. Mine is a 32' fiver, weight 9400 will be about the same as yours or a little less loaded.

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #86

My HC362RD is 40ft. 14900 dry wt.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #87

Quote:
My HC362RD is 40ft. 14900 dry wt.

I should be in great shape pulling mine at 9400 dry weight.

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #88

Weight

Yes you will be fine.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
If that 06 has an LBZ Early 06 had the LLY and later the LBZ) engine you found the Holy Grail of Duramax engines. Both are good engines but the LBZ is the last version before the DPF was added in 07. It is basically the later version (LMM) without the DPF.

It is also the last year of the older (Classic) body style.
I checked the vin and it's the LLY

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #90

Well I’ll throw my .02c in. All the trucks have weak points. You can take a Ford and bullet proof a 6.0 or you can take a Ram and harden the transmission in the older models, same w Chevy or GMC.

However, I’m an advocate for safety, the 12-13 up models have much improved built in safety features for the HD trucks. I recommend looking at those features and deciding if they are worth it to you.

Used trucks that are gently used are hard to find. So you got to be Johnny on the Spot w the money when you find one.

I would not hesitate buying any of the three after 2013.

For my work we’ve had all three in HD. They all have been great trucks. I still think Ford is the best work truck.

But seriously that’s splitting hairs. All are very good.

I like Ram. I had an 2008 MegaCab I should have never sold.

Splitting hairs, I don’t like the interior on-a Chevy as well after 2013. Before then Chevy was the best in my opinion.

Don’t forget front end problems.

Just get one and enjoy. It will be fun and they all are fun the tow heavy with.

Peace
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
I checked the vin and it's the LLY
Still a good engine. They fixed the issue with the injectors that the LB7 had. Those were located under the valve covers and when they leaked the engine "Made Oil" by diluting the oil with diesel

If you would like to research the engine you can go to the Duramaxforum.com

I did find this link for you that you may find interesting. It describes the different versions of the Duramax and their individual issues. It seems as if the 06 LLY is the best of that lot, and could be virtually turned into an LBZ with a tune or new LBZ ECM:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...tml#post168235
Old 04-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #92

Quote:
Still a good engine. They fixed the issue with the injectors that the LB7 had. Those were located under the valve covers and when they leaked the engine "Made Oil" by diluting the oil with diesel

I did find this link for you that you may find interesting. It describes the different versions of the Duramax and their individual issues. It seems as if the 06 LLY is the best of that lot, and could be virtually turned into an LBZ with a tune or new LBZ ECM:

I read where the injector issue was taken care of with the LLY's which is a fantastic fix. I'll check the link out that you sent. Thanks!

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #93
Grammar Pedant

As said by a few others, every brand and every model has issues. There is no perfect brand/model/year. The issue is whether there is anything systemic.

For example, my F-150 has the 5.4L 3V V8. One of the issues with that engine is the terrible spark plug design. Ford screwed that up so bad that it lost a class-action lawsuit over it (though the penalty wasn't that much). People were spending upwards of $800 for a spark plug change, due to labor and how the plugs break. So, anyone buying a 2005-2008 F-150 needs to make sure that the engine has had its spark plugs changed at least once. That's systemic. There's no way around it.

The recent years of the Duramax suffered from CP4 fuel pump issues and it's borderline systemic. My brother had his 2016 GMC blow up with just under 50,000 miles on it. Under warranty and traded it for a new 2018 GMC Duramax. He loves it. Just because his first one experienced a failure didn't mean that GMC/Duramax were trash. At least, not to him. Using better fuel and a quality additive that improves lubricity is a good practice ... others swap out the CP4 with a different plump.

Just know what you're buying. If a platform has systemic problems, you can usually learn about those online. Many times they can be overcome -- it's not necessarily a deal-killer. I changed the plugs in my F-150 and, by the time I did it, there were tons of helpful videos, articles, and extraction tools. I broke one plug, got it out super easy (and I'm not a mechanic), and put the new ones in the right way. The point: even systemic problems can be overcome if done with proper care.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #94

Quote:
Quote:

I read where the injector issue was taken care of with the LLY's which is a fantastic fix. I'll check the link out that you sent. Thanks!
From what I read if that 06 LLY has a 6 speed transmission it is improved mechanically and basically the same as an LBZ but does not have the LBZ tuning that gives the LBZ greater HP

You can also verify that by looking at the Engine Code in the VIN
Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
As said by a few others, every brand and every model has issues. There is no perfect brand/model/year. The issue is whether there is anything systemic.

For example, my F-150 has the 5.4L 3V V8. One of the issues with that engine is the terrible spark plug design. Ford screwed that up so bad that it lost a class-action lawsuit over it (though the penalty wasn't that much). People were spending upwards of $800 for a spark plug change, due to labor and how the plugs break. So, anyone buying a 2005-2008 F-150 needs to make sure that the engine has had its spark plugs changed at least once. That's systemic. There's no way around it.

The recent years of the Duramax suffered from CP4 fuel pump issues and it's borderline systemic. My brother had his 2016 GMC blow up with just under 50,000 miles on it. Under warranty and traded it for a new 2018 GMC Duramax. He loves it. Just because his first one experienced a failure didn't mean that GMC/Duramax were trash. At least, not to him. Using better fuel and a quality additive that improves lubricity is a good practice ... others swap out the CP4 with a different plump.

Just know what you're buying. If a platform has systemic problems, you can usually learn about those online. Many times they can be overcome -- it's not necessarily a deal-killer. I changed the plugs in my F-150 and, by the time I did it, there were tons of helpful videos, articles, and extraction tools. I broke one plug, got it out super easy (and I'm not a mechanic), and put the new ones in the right way. The point: even systemic problems can be overcome if done with proper care.

Good luck.
Of course there's going to be issues come up no matter what vehicle you decide on. I haven't purchased the Silverado 2500 yet probably Saturday though. I've already contacted a reliable diesel repair shop referred to by a friend that is going to check it out prior to buying. It's supposedly been bullet proofed (a great addition) and they are going to check and make sure of that also.

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #96

[QUOTE=DouglasReid;2080394]
Quote:

From what I read if that 06 LLY has a 6 speed transmission it is improved mechanically and basically the same as an LBZ but does not have the LBZ tuning that gives the LBZ greater HP

You can also verify that by looking at the Engine Code in the VIN
I've already researched it by the VIN. It's the LLY Duramax that started being built mid year 2004. The fuel injector issue among others were taken care of.

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #97
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I would check the weight ratings of that 2500 first. It may not have the capacities to tow your Cardinal fifth wheel when loaded.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I would check the weight ratings of that 2500 first. It may not have the capacities to tow your Cardinal fifth wheel when loaded.
I already have, 13,800 lbs. That will give me a max carry weight in the RV of 4,070 lbs. More than enough for what I have inside.

Retirement life........
Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #99
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
I already have, 13,800 lbs. That will give me a max carry weight in the RV of 4,070 lbs. More than enough for what I have inside.
The truck's cargo capacity and rear axle rating also needs to be considered. Passengers, 5th wheel hitch, pin weight of the trailer, other cargo in the bed all adds up as cargo weight.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #100

The LLY isn't as good as the LBZ but it is still good. The 2006 LLY fixed a few issues the 2004 and 2005 had, but it's not quite just a LBZ with a weaker tune. I had a 2004 LLY and fixed the intake elbow restriction and never had the overheating problem. Still the LBZ will always be a premium but the 2006 LLY is kind of a sleeper deal as it is better but most 2006 trucks are priced higher with everyone thinking they are LBZs. Show the seller it is just a LLY and chew him down a bit.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck