Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #1

Best WDH / Sway for my setup

Yea, this is another WDH / Sway thread but since I don't think many on here have the same setup as me, it's a little different.

As some may have seen in my posts, I have a very 'unique' towing situation. I am towing a 24' (29' total length) XLR hyperlite toy hauler with a VW Touareg TDI (diesel). All of my weights are proper for the TV, but the obvious issue is the trailer length to TV wheelbase. I regrettably cheaped out when we bought the trailer and opted for the inexpensive Husky WDH with single friction sway bar. I have since added a 2nd sway bar which made towing great in near perfect conditions, but any good wind and it's back to white knuckles. I am looking to cut my loses from the Husky and go with something better; and that is where I need some advice.

I am not opposed to going with a Pro Pride if it is really worth the extra over an Equalizer or Anderson but obviously if either of the others will work just as well, I'd much rather save the $2000. My other fear with the Pro Pride is that IF i still have sway, I am stuck. At least with the Equalizer / Anderson, I can add a friction sway bar on if the winds get bad (I could be wrong on that though... haven't really looked into it much yet).

So what are your thoughts? I'm thinking just bite the bullet and go for the Pro Pride; especially because of my circumstances but you guys all have a LOT more experience than I do. So any input is appreciated.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

ProPride is the only way to go. Its a lot of money but you will find it well spent once you start towing and seeing how much safer and relaxed you are towing. The other one might be just as good but will cost you more. Go for ProPride. Lots of threads here for both.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

I know for a FACT that (DDC tows with a TV like you have! He tows with a (Hensley)! You have a T/H so I don't know (What or How) you are going to Load in it! Have you talked to (DDC) about His Setup? Your present hitch sounds like a (Death Trap) Youroo!!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #4

It's not a death trap because if the wind gets too much I don't have too much pride to admit that it's unsafe in the current conditions and pull over. But it makes for longer trips than necessary. That was the other oddity about the situation; and I think it's because of the WDH. I would think that without the bikes loaded, that I would want to increase the tension on the bars since the bikes are not counter-balancing the trailer... but when I go to the 2nd chain link, it seems to take too much weight off the tongue and will sway more without wind. It seems that the first link is the best towing situation, but it is definitely putting weight on the tongue (TV is still sagging a bit in the back).
Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

Oh I see now you have (Advanced Warning) when a Wind Gust is coming! Its a Death Trap! Hensley is your Upgrade! Youroo!!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

Truth.... wind gusts can be dangerous... lol. I was referring more to known wind. Under 15mph there is no issue but anything more than that and I'm usually a little uneasy. Over 20mph and I'm pulling over. I wish I had advanced warning on gusts because then I'd be golden... lol.

I think Hensley is my best option. I've been researching all weekend and have yet to find anything bad (other than to the wallet) on the Hensley.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
Truth.... wind gusts can be dangerous... lol. I was referring more to known wind. Under 15mph there is no issue but anything more than that and I'm usually a little uneasy. Over 20mph and I'm pulling over. I wish I had advanced warning on gusts because then I'd be golden... lol.

I think Hensley is my best option. I've been researching all weekend and have yet to find anything bad (other than to the wallet) on the Hensley.
ProPride and Hensley were developed by the same guy, so you will not be unhappy with either.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

I went from a standard WDH to an Equalizer to a ProPride. The only way I'll ever go back to anything other than the ProPride is if I have a VERY large TV in relation to the TT. You will NOT still have sway with a ProPride or a Hensley. This is a simple matter of physics. You will feel wind gusts as a force against the vehicle- just like you do when driving the vehicle without the trailer, but all as one unit instead of swiveling at the connection point (sway). While I HIGHLY recommend the ProPride, I think I might actually have to recommend the Hensley for you. The ProPride has an adjusatble hitch head, which I find to be a great feature, but it is heavier than the fixed HA stinger. Also, Hensley makes a Cub which is smaller and lighter that might work for you. I say all of this because I believe tongue weight might become an issue for you. I recommend you contact Hensley with your TV and TH specs and see what they recommend.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

With that setup i would definitely look at the Hensley/ProPride. As the poster above me stated, check the tongue weights. These hitches are heavy.

Call them. Have a long chat with them.

Yes, they are expensive, but the only other true alternative is to trade in your Toureg for a truck.

Personally, it's not a bad idea to do both!!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #10

I have been doing research over the weekend and if I go Hensley / 3P, I will definitely go 3P. I had the same concern over the tongue weight, but I do have some extra wiggle room there. Without the bikes, I am at a measured weight of around 600. Even with the 195 lb hitch head weight, I will be SLIGHTLY over on the tongue weight, but not enough to worry about (the German ratings have it higher than the US ratings even though it's the exact same setup). With the bikes, my tongue weight drops because of the positioning of the bikes behind the axle or directly over the axle depending on 1 vs 2 bikes being loaded.. and where they are loaded.

If absolutely needed, I will get a truck when the lease runs out on my car (Touareg is my wife's main vehicle) but I love towing with the Touareg because of the interior comfort and the amazing fuel mileage even while towing. Obviously safety is the main factor so if I can't get the safety factor in line, I will do what I need to do.

Tags
sway