Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Best year model Super duty please

K, I'm not a gearhead like I wish I was, but I know my next TV will be a Ford Superduty...(sorry I am brand loyal) My reading tells me their was good engines and not so good engines and engines that were just a bad idea from the get go...I want to buy a late model (sorry I do not buy new) Ford F-250 Superduty, but am totally confused by what engines to avoid..some say stay away from the 6.0, more reading says it is best for power???///Best overall seems to be the 7.3 PS, but now I just do not know...What do you guys think???
wolfcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat1
K, I'm not a gearhead like I wish I was, but I know my next TV will be a Ford Superduty...(sorry I am brand loyal) My reading tells me their was good engines and not so good engines and engines that were just a bad idea from the get go...I want to buy a late model (sorry I do not buy new) Ford F-250 Superduty, but am totally confused by what engines to avoid..some say stay away from the 6.0, more reading says it is best for power???///Best overall seems to be the 7.3 PS, but now I just do not know...What do you guys think???
First feb of the 6.0 diesel were bad, rest are fine.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

IMO anything with the 7.3L International or 2004 PSD and up 6.0. Go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source.
jdandrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

99.5 - 2002 7.3 PSD were bullet proof. Expect to find most with over 150M miles. Inspect all drive train parts closely. Drive train and body will fall off the 7.3 before it breaks (usually). Start expecting maintenance in those areas... can be costly.

2003-2007 - 6.0 PSD early models through 05 can have head issues. The number of bolts was to few and they will and do blow. I think the average fix is $4500. I heard the 06/07 we the better years of the 6.0

08-10 - 6.4 PSD - the job 1 trucks have had radiator issues. Most have been threw the fixes already. Because the brilliant folks in the EPA wanted to clean our diesels up, they added lots of emissions junk. Great engines, but require 5000 oil changes and 10,000 fuel filter changes (~$165 and $180 respectively). Best interior in the decade. If you an get an extended warranty, I would. Any major work that requires access to the back of the engine will require the cab to come off. I've heard the cost of that is ~$2800 before they get to fixing your problem.

I have a 2010 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Short bed. I love the truck. My only complaint is the emissions crap. I bought a 7/100 bumper to bumper to cover the beast.

I also would advise in the F350. I think I've short changed myself on the overall capacity of the 250. Also consider the V10 - it has no emissions crap to deal with nor the fuel filter.

I also recommend thedieselstop forums on the web.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #5

I have an 08 with the 6.4 but as Buceyefan said the EPA sucks and they have killed the MPG for the motor. 2003-2004 6.0's had more head gasket issues than the 2005-2007 6.0's did. If you can find a clean 7.3 with reasonable miles, ie <100k, that is what i would get, if not then I love my 6.4 for power and quality of build but keep in mind the poor MPG.

I agree on the F350 part I have a SRW version and have plenty of GVWR to tow anything I want, i personally have a 40' fiver and am well within the weights of the axles and truck.
Johnny9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

also i love powerstroke.org, lots of good info there
Johnny9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

7.3 all the way! the turbo helps when hauling and hills
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Well, at least it's not a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge debate. But, much like those debates, you will get as many different answers and preferences. I have an 08 that is a Job 1. I bought it used with 25K on it. At around 27K, I got the radiator and thermostat replaced. Have not had an issue since. Regens were an issue, but I got the dealer to update to the latest PCM flash, and wow, what a difference. Regens are much less frequent, do not last as long, and I rarely pull into my driveway or parking spot at work and have to shut down a regen. An added bonus was an increase in torque (I think). All I know is it pulled way way better after the flash. Smoother, and didn't try to downshift on every overpass. I really like my truck, and it pulls my 11K 5th wheel great.

However...I did also buy the 7/100K extended warranty. Better safe than sorry!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #9

If u wind up with a higher millage one. Make sure the proper cooling system maintenance was performed when sch. I would also like to see that transmission oil and filter was changed every 36k. Personally, I would stear clear of one that's been reprogrammed. At first the dealers were OK with the reprogramming and some were happy to do it. Later Ford refused to cover the transmissions.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #10

In case you were wondering the update EdJunior is talking about is different than what jimh is talking about (I hope)..

Ed is talking about the PCM code ford did in the service shop to make the truck run better (08 was the first year of the 6.4).

I think jimh is talking about the aftermarket programmers you can buy to tell you computer how to change the systems. I agree here.
I am not buying a program kit until 100,001 miles or month 85 of me owning the truck.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

exactly.
the programs appeared abt the time the power stroke appeared. even one of the local dealers was in favor or it and would install (sell) the after market program. apparently u can change several things ie shift point and fuel delivery. a couple years later, it was discovered that u could shorten the life of the engine and (probably in tow conditions) put too much stress on the transmission.
definitely not talking abt a Ford supplied upgrade.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Retired US Navy Diver

Get a new F350. They're making great deals now. Local dealers are $11k off MSRP. Prices are so close between 250 and 350 may as well just go for the higher payload and tow.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote