Old 09-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #11

May I ask why did you give him any money or that much money if you had AAA?
I have AAA Plus and my 'card' says that :

Quote:
•AAA EMERGENCY FUEL DELIVERY
If your vehicle runs out of fuel, a limited supply, usually 1 or 2 gallons, will be delivered, if available, in an emergency situation to
enable you to reach the nearest gas station
Classic members will be charged for the fuel
AAA Plus, AAA Plus RV, AAA Premier and
AAA Premier RV members will receive 1 or 2 gallons of fuel at no cost to reach the nearest gas station
Diesel fuel must be requested
when you request service and may not always be available
In some cases, your vehicle may have to be towed if it runs out of fuel
Was the tow truck driver not AAA?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
My bad, air in the fuel line?

the problem with them was not being familiar with the truck and not looking at the gas gauges . run out of diesel it's more then just putting fuel in and going . priming the filters is a must which the tow truck driver did .

Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
the problem with them was not being familiar with the truck and not looking at the gas gauges . run out of diesel it's more then just putting fuel in and going . priming the filters is a must which the tow truck driver did .
Exactly, and if someone calls for a tow.....you start hooking them up. If you call for road service then you will have someone that will try and figure out the problem. And experience or knowledge cost money.
In my opinion $60 for a service call on the side of the road is really cheap and filling and bleeding the fuel system on a diesel and getting it running without running the batteries down is where some experience comes in to play. Im really surprised that it didn't cost twice as much.

Glad op is safe and backon the road!
Old 09-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #14

Sounds like the tow truck driver was trying to hijack a job.

Beyond that, what Tfort said regarding the plastic in-tank pickup breaking off is highly likely (been through it myself). Also, it may be a multi-part problem. I have also had the electric tank switching valve fail.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #15

AAA

I have AAA RV Plus. I have had both my truck AND trailer towed (one tow truck) to the dealer, and it didn't cost an extra cent. All Service calls are at no extra charge. I am surprised to hear that the tow truck driver wanted an extra 125 bucks, unless I missed that he wasn't AAA, or that you didn't have the coverage, or that the distance was too far.
If he was AAA, it should be reported, since they aren't supposed to ask for money.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Sounds like the tow truck driver was trying to hijack a job.
I agree. Sounds fishy. "Yeah, just come with me down this dark alley and I'll fix you right up." If it doesn't feel right, it isn't.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
We have a 1996 duel diesel gas tank F250 that DH just got from his dad... He then let's us know he is a diesel mechanic, pours some gas in our dry fuel filter...
Not trying to be picky here but calling diesel tanks "gas tanks" and saying the diesel mechanic poured "gas" into your diesel filter freaks me out a little... Probably a good thing the tow driver helped you guys out & for $60 you were on your way safely down that busy highway...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Not trying to be picky here but calling diesel tanks "gas tanks" and saying the diesel mechanic poured "gas" into your diesel filter freaks me out a little... Probably a good thing the tow driver helped you guys out & for $60 you were on your way safely down that busy highway...
Yeah kinda confusing with op going back and forth with "gas" and "diesel" in the story.

The whole thing sounds like a misunderstanding. If the op only wanted a tow, why would they expect a wrecker driver to try to fix the problem first? Especially if they (the OP) didn't know they were out of fuel?
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I have AAA RV Plus. I have had both my truck AND trailer towed (one tow truck) to the dealer, and it didn't cost an extra cent. All Service calls are at no extra charge. I am surprised to hear that the tow truck driver wanted an extra 125 bucks, unless I missed that he wasn't AAA, or that you didn't have the coverage, or that the distance was too far.
If he was AAA, it should be reported, since they aren't supposed to ask for money.
Seems that op stated that the truck was covered and aaa said it was going to be $250 to haul the trailer with the truck. Sounds like driver was cutting them a deal at the $125 to take it to a shop he recommended.

I really dont know what op was expecting.......a free service call? Free trailer towing? Seems like there wasn't any way this guy was gonna win. He got them going at a reasonable price.....but it wasn't free. ????
Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #20

I live in Brevard County. This could of happened in any county. At least the tow truck driver assisted you. He could have just left you floundering on the side of the road. Be thankful for small mercies. Brevard is a great place to live, but as in anywhere, there's good and bad.