Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
I typed up a responce that apparently vanished. I don't care to retype it so I'll just say search "Brake Pad Transfer." That could be causing the vibration you feel.

I did a google search, you have put me onto a subject I haven’t heard about before. I’ll do more reading when I have a bit more time, but what i have read so far is interesting and quite likely what i am experiencing.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I did a google search, you have put me onto a subject I haven’t heard about before. I’ll do more reading when I have a bit more time, but what i have read so far is interesting and quite likely what i am experiencing.
Most people who have not overheated their brakes and have pulsing are having a pad transfer issue and not warping. In these cases, resurfacing, new pads and proper bedding fixes the problem.

Also, people who have issues are usually people who think putting on new brakes is just replacing pads without either new rotors or resurfacing the old ones. Doing a pad slap is not doing a complete brake job.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #23

Ford usually installs as big a brake system routers/caliper that can fit inside an 17-18” wheel.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #24
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Most people who have not overheated their brakes and have pulsing are having a pad transfer issue and not warping. In these cases, resurfacing, new pads and proper bedding fixes the problem.

Also, people who have issues are usually people who think putting on new brakes is just replacing pads without either new rotors or resurfacing the old ones. Doing a pad slap is not doing a complete brake job.

I didn't know about the friction material transfer until 3 years ago when I bought the new rotors and pads, the kit manufacturer had included quite a lot of info on bedding the new brakes and the transfer issue.
When I sit at stoplights after a hard stop I'll creep ahead a foot or two every few seconds hoping the transfer is not happening while holding the truck waiting for the light change. I wonder if it helps any?

With any shop performed brake job I have had done over the years I have never been told to bed in the brakes.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
When I sit at stoplights after a hard stop I'll creep ahead a foot or two every few seconds hoping the transfer is not happening while holding the truck waiting for the light change. I wonder if it helps any?
There was always a theory that if you had a very hard stop and your rotors were hot, by leaving your foot on the pedal with the car stopped, that portion of the rotor would cool faster than the rest of the rotor and cause it to possibly warp.

Never heard it had anything to do with material transfer other than when in the bedding phase. When I bed my new pads, I never come to a complete stop until I let the rotor cool. Once you have completed the bedding cycle, should not be an issue. I have a little route I do near my home with no stop signs and long open road and I do it when no cars around.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #26

I did the exact thing you did...except just the front. $170 delivered in about 5 days. I just finished the install and break-in. 2 1/2 hours on a drizzly 7 degree day. Could have been quicker but I had to go buy a 21mm socket. Hopefully I have the same good fortune you have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post

Sept 2015 I replaced all four corners with these kits;
Max Brakes E-Coated Slotted+Drilled Rotors w/Ceramic Pads Front & Rear Elite Brake Kits,
bought off Amazon.ca, price about C$260 delivered overnight to Huntsville. Rebuilt the brakes myself using local bought parts kit (another C$60), took about 7 hours, only do this if you've done this before.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Hi all, I have a 2013 F150 that is a daily driver and tows my 2013 Rockwood 2604WS as often as I can. I have just over 100k kms (65000 miles) on it and I am thinking it is time to do the front brakes. Since I tend to run a vehicle for many miles prior to replacing and because I tow with it I was thinking to install a big brake kit. There are lots of such kits available, Stoptech, willwood, baer, brembo etc. I need to say that when I looked at some of these kits I was shocked at the price!
I haven't had any issues stopping with the OEM brakes but recently I have notice a pulse on the pedal and a bit of a shimmy on the wheel at speed. Usually caused by rotor distortion due to over heating. I won't know until I take it apart.

Looking for some feedback from members who might have done such upgrades. Which kit did you go with? Any issues/problems installing? Any wheel clearance issues? Performance and longevity, Is the stopping notably improved? And has there been any problems such as heating or performance degradation?

All feedback is welcome.
I bought a 2013 ecoboost f150 4x4 super crew new in 2013.. Now I drove in some hilly terrain, but the front rotors were warped within 15K.. dealer turned them and they were warped again by 22K.. At that time I did some research and it seemed like fairly common complaint. Since I knew I would be looking for a bigger truck anyway I didn't investigate further, but had I kept it the brake upgrade would have certainly ben on my to do list.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I bought a 2013 ecoboost f150 4x4 super crew new in 2013.. Now I drove in some hilly terrain, but the front rotors were warped within 15K.. dealer turned them and they were warped again by 22K.. At that time I did some research and it seemed like fairly common complaint. Since I knew I would be looking for a bigger truck anyway I didn't investigate further, but had I kept it the brake upgrade would have certainly ben on my to do list.
Once you warp a rotor, turning it is useless. Time to buy new as the warp will always come back
Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Once you warp a rotor, turning it is useless. Time to buy new as the warp will always come back
Was my thoughts as well and generally my experience, but Ford wouldn't authorize new rotors, only turning.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #30

Run out and brake material transfer. Warped, Myth!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I think you have me buying in.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Well regardless of warp or Transfer , turning the rotors fixed it, as would having new rotors and pads, although latter would have been a much longer term fix.
I actually argues the latter by saying simply turning them makes a heat induced issue worse..But again, I was over ruled By Ford.. Much like Im overruled By Ram with issues on my current truck.. I need to Buy a Toyota, wish they made a solid 3/4 ton!
Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Well regardless of warp or Transfer , turning the rotors fixed it, as would having new rotors and pads, although latter would have been a much longer term fix.
I actually argues the latter by saying simply turning them makes a heat induced issue worse..But again, I was over ruled By Ford.. Much like Im overruled By Ram with issues on my current truck.. I need to Buy a Toyota, wish they made a solid 3/4 ton!
If it really was a warp, it will be back. My bet...not a warp.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #34

Well it came back. Twice. But the third time it started pulsating I was looking st a larger truck and camper so I just didn’t worry about it. So warp I suppose

Tags
upgrade