Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Bigger Transmission cooler?

2008 GMC Denali. 6.2L with HD tow pkg rated to tow 7900lbs. Pulling a loaded 6300lb TT with WDH and sway bar. Always use tow/haul mode. Pulled 6% grades over 5 miles in NC mountains with no problem. Heading out west late summer and expect longer hauls over steep grades. Should I consider a larger tranny cooler vs. what is configured in my HD tow pkg?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You can always go bigger and better with a trans cooler!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"

Old 01-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto View Post
2008 GMC Denali. 6.2L with HD tow pkg rated to tow 7900lbs. Pulling a loaded 6300lb TT with WDH and sway bar. Always use tow/haul mode. Pulled 6% grades over 5 miles in NC mountains with no problem. Heading out west late summer and expect longer hauls over steep grades. Should I consider a larger tranny cooler vs. what is configured in my HD tow pkg?
I'd leave it alone. GMC does a pretty good job at equipping their Trucks to do what they want them to do.

But, I'm cheap.

So if you have any doubts, put on an additional, NOT in place of, tranny cooler. Unless that's what a skilled and highly experienced mechanic tells you what to do.

Have a reputable mechanic do it or study up on it first if you're planning to do it yourself.

Some of them have built-in thermostats and other goodies from the factory that we aren't aware of. Some don't. Some transmissions require a higher operating temperature. Some don't.

Study it. Go to some GM towing web forums and poke around.

Some will say, "Put on the aftermarket oil cooler, it can't hurt"

Yes, it can.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Did you have any tranny temp issues??? I have never had a tranny temp issue with any of my HD trucks.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
Did you have any tranny temp issues??? I have never had a tranny temp issue with any of my HD trucks.
Exactly!
It sounds like your wanting to fix a problem that probably isn't even there. Get a Scan Gauge II to monitor your engine and transmission's vitals and gather data. Then ask yourself if there is a problem to be solved.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

No problems thus far. I've kept my coolant fresh. Will probably do radiator flush and new coolant before I make the expected 6000 mile trip out west. In fact, I will have the engine, tranny and rear end synthetic changed out as well. Just wondering if anyone had experience to share that would suggest a larger cooler. I'll be making more tows in the NC mountains before my venture out west...that should surface any concerns.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
DDC

I added a staked one with cooling fan to my Avalanche, it had a temp switch also. I mounted it in the space under the rad. it did not need the forced air because it had the fan and that left the front of the rad. completely open for air flow cooling, ran it in series so that the in rad cooler (heater when cold) still comes into play.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

I switched out the stock tranny cooler on our E-450 based class c with a much larger and more efficiant Derale 40 row stacked plate tranny cooler.
I don't know the specs on the GMC stock cooler, but the Ford stock cooler was rated at eliminating about 19,000 btu's of heat per hour. The Derale is rated at 67,000 btu's per hour, a real big difference.
Even though it might not have been "needed", it can't help but improve the fluid cooling over the stock unit, especially when it comes to tranny fluid.
Grumpy